WBB: Gophers @ Rutgers-B1G Game 1 (12/31)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Minnesota opens the B1G season at Rutgers. The 9-3 Scarlet Knights last played December 19 when they defeated LSU. Rutgers has lost to solid teams (Seton Hall, St. Johns and Florida State). Their best win is probably UW Green Bay.

A veteran team, Rutgers features guard Tyler Scaife (averaging 16 points) and swing player Kahleah Copper (averaging 17.5 points and 7.2 rebounds). Copper will be an interesting match-up for Minnesota. At the post, the Scarlet Knights start 6’4” Rachel Hollivay.

Last season, during Rutgers 66-61 home win over the Gophers, Scaife dropped 28 to counter Amanda Zahui’s 36 point and 15 rebound effort.

Of note: Rutgers’ season ended with a second round NCAA loss to UConn 91-55. Before the start of this season C Vivian Stringer completely revamped her coaching staff.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29328116/gophers-basketball-banhams-back-and-ncaa-tournament-is

Marcus Fuller's article on Rachel Banham contains this note:

Stollings said Auburn transfer Allina Starr is eligible and could make her Gophers debut Thursday. The 5-10 sophomore is a former all-state player at DeLaSalle

"Could" make her debut. Sounds like she's not really part of the game plan unless things get ugly and Stollings is scrambling for some kind of spark. I think she'll be making her debut tonight.

I've been noticing they have Wagner in the paint defensive rebounding quite a bit. That's gotta hurt for a team who's identity is supposed to be a transition game. She's the fastest player on the team. I think they need to get her back into the front end of the 2-3 defense, where she played last year.

So far, with Starr, the Gopher defense looks solid both in man and zone. Rutgers made a run when Wagner was playing point for some reason. Rachel's first half was filled with great plays off the dribble and a step back three closing out the first quarter. Barnes is playing better than any time this season. I imagine Rutgers is going to force it inside one way or the other in the second half.

Gophers had 1 foul in first half. 8 fouls so far in 3rd quarter.

44-41 Gophers after 3.

Scaife likes to up her game against the Gophers :mad:

Scaife got it going in the second half-Rachel didn't. 66-55 Rutgers.

First the Gophers got struck at 41 and then came the excruciating last two minutes of the 3rd quarter and the first two minutes of the 4th quarter. The Gophers were not only stuck at 44 but couldn't get out of the Rutgers end. Too much press panic resulted in turnovers, fouls, no rebounds and then repeat fouls.

All in all it was more a failure of offense than defense. At times in the fourth quarter it seemed every play was run for Wagner although I think she was just the only one interested in shooting. Well, Bailey called for the ball several times in the corner but was ignored.

Minutes played and Starters:

36 Mullaney*
34 Wagner*
32 Starr*
31 Banham*
20 Bailey
19 Barnes
15 Lamke*
5 Hedstrom
5 Edwards
2 Johnson
1 Garven

Minnesota won the rebound battle 46-41 and lost the turnover battle 18-10.
In her first game, Starr was 1-2 from the field with 8 rebounds and 2 steals. Yes, It's good to see her on the court.

Problem with Banham against quality teams. When it is crunch time especially on the road she doesn't perform well. They really miss the mental toughness of Kelly and Zahui B

Top Bottom