Shooter - Gopher Non Conference Schedule

Blizzard

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the same information that SS has been posting but I saw this today from Shooter.

Look for the Gophers men's basketball schedule for the coming season to include exhibition games against Minnesota-Duluth and Concordia-Moorhead and nonconference games against Brown, Utah Valley, Northern Illinois, South Dakota State, St. Joseph's, Butler, Morgan State, Stephen F. Austin and Miami.

Shooter probably got his info...

from Selection Sunday on this board!

Shooter is a complete hack and a moron...

Sorry if this is the same information that SS has been posting but I saw this today from Shooter.

Yuck on the OOC schedule...does it really have to continue to be this bad now that we have a decent team?

Yuck on the OOC schedule...does it really have to continue to be this bad now that we have a decent team?

The OOC has improved over 2007 and 2008. Most of the tough games are neutral or road games.

It is only improved if the Gophers beat Butler.

If not, it is a push.

The possibilities for the remaining game(s)?

In the event Tubby & Esposito have something up their sleeve with regards to the remaining unknown nonconference game(s), here are BCS schools -- and some others I'd deem acceptable -- yet to release their nonconference schedules who remain possibilities as a Gopher (home) opponent. I have included the ACC schools, even though it's highly unlikely we'd schedule a second school from the same major conference.

1. Alabama (SEC)
2. Auburn (SEC)
3. Boston College (ACC)
4. Buffalo (MAC) -- should be one of MAC's best & a trip home for Zach Filzen
5. Cincinnati (Big East)
6. Connecticut (Big East)
7. Creighton (Missouri Valley)
8. Duke (ACC)
9. Florida State (ACC)
10. Georgetown (Big East)
11. Georgia (SEC)
12. Georgia Tech (ACC)
13. Gonzaga (WCC)
14. Illinois State (Missouri Valley)
15. Iowa State (Big 12)
16. Kentucky (SEC)
17. LSU (SEC)
18. Louisville (Big East)
19. Maryland (ACC)
20. Mississippi State (SEC)
21. Mizzou (Big 12)
22. Nevada (WAC)
23. North Carolina (ACC)
24. Northeastern (Colonial) -- solid CAA squad & trip home for Matt Janning
25. Northern Iowa (Missouri Valley)
26. Notre Dame (Big East)
27. NC State (ACC)
28. Oklahoma (Big 12)
29. Ole Miss (SEC)
30. Pitt (Big East)
31. Providence (Big East)
32. Rutgers (Big East)
33. San Diego State (Mountain West)
34. Seton Hall (Big East)
35. Siena (Metro Atlantic)
36. Southern Illinois (Missouri Valley)
37. Syracuse (Big East)
38. Tennessee (SEC)
39. Tulsa (Conference USA)
40. Utah State (WAC)
41. Villanova (Big East)
42. Virginia (ACC)
43. Virginia Tech (ACC)
44. Wake Forest (ACC)
45. Western Kentucky (Sun Belt)

Am hoping the Gophers' remaining opponent(s) comes from this list.

Nice list, SS. There's really no excuse not to get at least a Northern Iowa, Sienna or San Diego State calibur team at minimum. All could be gotten with a simple pay-out game and not a home-and home.

No Vandy

Vandy schedule released today, Commodores scratched off the list. Vandy will play a minimum of 4 BCS opponents, including DePaul and Mizzou at home. So there's a school of similar ilk to Minnesota playing not 1 but 2 BCS schools in its home arena, also (like The Barn) a storied venue, and also a BCS program (like the Gophers) with NCAA expectations this season.

No Memphis

Memphis NC schedule released. Tigers crossed off the list above.

I emailed Maturi on this matter. He sent a nice email back stating that he has talked with the coaching staff about the issue and they are going to try and beef up the home slate with one nice game...but there was nothing mentioned about this year.

SS - you are right to be poking around the state of Tennessee for the final non-conference opponent.

I had a Friday night beer with my pal who occasionally gives me a nugget or two. He told me last night that he's certain that we play Tennessee Tech in hoops this year. It makes sense, as that is where Saul Smith used to be an assistant. Their head coach Mike Sutton is one of Tubby's best friends and former assistants. They are #170 in the RPI, so not so great there.

Also was told that we will open the Big Ten season at home against Penn State in late December. That should hopefully get us off to a good start. The rest of the Big Ten schedule will be released Monday, so we should have it all then.

I'm sure the pressure is huge to "earn" even a temporary national ranking with a perfect non-conf season.

Tennessee Tech (6-12 in the OVC last season)

Thanks TJ. If it's indeed Tennessee Tech, looks like we've got another snoozer of a nonconference home schedule. Tech's RPI last season was actually much worse, #272. Finished 8th out of 10 teams in the Ohio Valley, barely qualifying for the conference tournament. If all the unconfirmed home games (Morgan State, Stephen F. Austin, Tennessee Tech & Utah Valley) are indeed reality, this home schedule ranks as one of the most rank in recent memory.

I emailed Maturi on this matter. He sent a nice email back stating that he has talked with the coaching staff about the issue and they are going to try and beef up the home slate with one nice game...but there was nothing mentioned about this year.

Joel is the most responsive AD I've ever seen. And HE replies, not his Admin (who is from KY originally).

Rouser, I'm glad you e-mailed Joel. At least we know he'll respond to his e-mails on occasion. It can't hurt to have a few folks remind him that big $$$ are being forked out for November & December games as well. Something resembling an upper-tier program (or 2) during that time would be appreciated.

Seems to me like we keep hearing "next year" in terms of when we'll start seeing a few better opponents at The Barn. "Next year" seems like it's taking a long time. Not sure what the excuse is this year, as on paper the Gophers appear to be a legitimate top-4 Big 10 team & a better than decent bet to make the NCAAs again.

There are no excuses... I'm with you SS, 'Next Year' is taking too long. That said, I encourage everyone to send a friendly email / note to Maturi on the matter.

I don't expect to see any match-ups with SEC schools for some time. That just brings up old comparisons and we're all trying to get away from that. I do expect to see more friendship-matchups coming soon, ie Travis Ford at OK State. Tubby (at UK) and Travis(at UMASS) had a schedule until BG scrapped it.

What a bunch of babies!
Would you rather we bring Monson back?
Let's watch this team grow and enjoy the ride. I think Tubby knows how to schedule and build a championship team.
If you don't want to watch these games don't buy the tickets.

Tubby knows how to build a good team and like so many has said, you could be stuck with Monson...

"Would you rather we bring Monson back?"

Absolutely not. I'm quite content Tubby is in Minneapolis and Dan is in Long Beach.

We have a top-shelf coach and a classy man leading the program. That doesn't mean Tubby's exempt from being questioned for not scheduling a single BCS program (outside of the required ACC matchups) at The Barn 3 years (apparently) running.

Also, Wright State's schedule has been released. Cross them off the above list.

No Oregon

Last of the Pac 10 schedules released. Ducks crossed off list.

Also, no South Carolina.

Top Bottom