Still awaiting a FOT response regarding home non-conference schedule

anonymous

Reaction score
FOT,

You posted in January about the upcoming non-conference season. I raised my concerns about the home portion of the schedule and you said.

"It will. I talked to JE both on Saturday and Sunday about that topic. Next year's schedule is set and it will be much more to your liking."

I told you I remained skeptical and you told me you weren't.

Now we're sitting here in late July and the home non-conference schedule looks as poor as ever.

Tubby has played 17 non-conference home games and seven more appear to have been confirmed in some manner for next season. Of those 24, one has been from a BCS conference.

You claimed it was going to get better and, to this point, it hasn't. At all.

I've asked you about this on two other occasions in threads and heard nothing back.

What's the deal?

Not to defend FOT but I'm guessing JE was talking about the tourney out West, which is a loaded field. Its conceivable that our home slate will suck but our overall SOS will be just fine (if we beat Butler our SOS will really get a boost out West). It doesn't help us season ticket holders though....

FOT,

You posted in January about the upcoming non-conference season. I raised my concerns about the home portion of the schedule and you said.

"It will. I talked to JE both on Saturday and Sunday about that topic. Next year's schedule is set and it will be much more to your liking."

I told you I remained skeptical and you told me you weren't.

Now we're sitting here in late July and the home non-conference schedule looks as poor as ever.

Tubby has played 17 non-conference home games and seven more appear to have been confirmed in some manner for next season. Of those 24, one has been from a BCS conference.

You claimed it was going to get better and, to this point, it hasn't. At all.

I've asked you about this on two other occasions in threads and heard nothing back.

What's the deal?

The Gophers will be playing a tougher OOC schedule than they did last year. Anybody can see that.

Not to defend FOT but I'm guessing JE was talking about the tourney out West, which is a loaded field. Its conceivable that our home slate will suck but our overall SOS will be just fine (if we beat Butler our SOS will really get a boost out West). It doesn't help us season ticket holders though....

The home OOC schedule is better than last year. Not many team want the L the Gophers would deliver in Minneapolis.

The home OOC schedule is better than last year. Not many team want the L the Gophers would deliver in Minneapolis.

I'm a big Tubby supporter but give me a break. You sound like Bielema. There are no teams that are scared of playing the Gophers in Minneapolis. It's probably harder than people realize but this is not football. I could list 75 teams that virtually all Gopher fans would be happy to see, even including most of the Missouri Valley Conf.

How is this better?

Here are the two non-conference schedules from last year and this upcoming season. The numbers in parentheses is the final RPI ranking for the 2008-09 season, so it's more representative of the teams from last season than the upcoming teams.

2008-09 Home Non-Conference Schedule
Bowling Green (157)
Georgia State (233)
Eastern Washington (231)
North Dakota State (87)
Virginia (114)
Cornell (115)
South Dakota State (283)
SE Louisiana (247)
High Point (325)
Average RPI: 199

2009-10 Home Non-Conference Schedule
Brown (307)
St. Joseph's (105)
Northern Illinois (329)
South Dakota State (283)
Stephen F. Austin (74)
Morgan State (130)
Utah Valley State (238)
Average RPI: 209

As another poster said, the top two teams (according to RPI) that are coming into Williams Arena this year seem to be on the decline from last year. As for your argument that it's tough to have teams come into Williams Arena to play since it'll be a sure loss, I can't help but wonder how Illinois is hosting Vanderbilt, Northwestern hosts Butler and Stanford, Purdue hosts West Virginia, and Michigan takes on UConn. That says nothing about the road games/neutral sites that Michigan State, Ohio State, and Indiana have lined up.

One other point. . .to say that undoubtedly this schedule is tougher than last season weighs heavily on the Anaheim Classic's first round matchup with Butler. If they lose, I don't see how games against Portland (likely second round opponent unless they defeat UCLA) and Texas A&M or Long Beach State looks so much better than the win against Louisville, last season's #4 team in the Final RPI rankings, not to mention Big East champs and a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney.

I'm still hoping for a solid final non-conference game to be announced and will reserve final judgement until that occurs.

Home schedule certainly not better...its a lot worse. The word last year was that the team was young and needed to build confidence. What's the BS line this year?

Again, overall SOS will probably be a little better if we beat Butler..but the home slate will suck unless the final game is a biggie.

Keep in mind how stacked the Big10 is this upcoming year. We wouldn't wanna stumble into selection sunday with 10+ losses again.

FOT,

1. I specifically asked in January about the HOME NC schedule and you claimed it would be "more of my liking."

2. I think the best anyone can honestly say about this home NC schedule schedule is equal to last season's schedule. To say that it is better is insulting to anyone who knows anything about the game.

3. You can love Tubby, but you don't have to be blind. You claimed in January that the schedule was "done" and it was going to be better. It isn't.

FOT,

1. I specifically asked in January about the HOME NC schedule and you claimed it would be "more of my liking."

2. I think the best anyone can honestly say about this home NC schedule schedule is equal to last season's schedule. To say that it is better is insulting to anyone who knows anything about the game.

3. You can love Tubby, but you don't have to be blind. You claimed in January that the schedule was "done" and it was going to be better. It isn't.

I doubt anything is much to your liking.

The OOC schedule is tougher and the home schedule is better.

Last year's RPI counts for last year (maybe) but not this year.

Send Esposito an e-mail to offer your advice if you wish.

One must keep in mind when responding to fot that in his mind he is never wrong. Must be nice to be perfect. By the way the non conf. schedule is very poor and will make the road to the tourny much more difficult.

Am I the only one that remembers watching a DII team in The Barn last year?

The Gophers will be playing a tougher OOC schedule than they did last year. Anybody can see that.

Sorry FOT, but as an outsider with no dog in this fight, that schedule is pathetic for a team the caliber of what Minnesota is expected to be this year. Iowa State and Minnesota had a two year series and I was told that Tubby wanted out of it because he thought the trips to Ames were not in Minnesota's best interests. Why can't Tubby get ISU, Drake, Northern Iowa, Nebraska, Marquette, Bradley or any of several other solid regional teams to start a series with?

Iowa State is still rebuilding and we have Bradley, Drake, Northern Iowa, Iowa, Houston, St Louis, Duke, California and either Northwestern or Notre Dame on our slate this year. And that doesn't even include NDSU that was solid last year, but likely rebuilding this year.

Tubby owes the Gopher fans a better schedule IMO.

FOT,

There are actually plenty of things that please me.

I simply find it completely unacceptable that unless this last opening is a major conference opponent, Tubby will have been here three seasons without volunteering to play a BCS conference opponent at home in the non-conference part of the schedule. The only OOC home game against a BCS opponent was Virginia last season in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

Considering the loyalty shown by Gophers fans that dates long before you graced us with your presence and considering the prices paid for tickets/parking/etc., I think this is totally wrong.

There were certainly reasons why Tubby chose to have soft NC schedules his first two seasons. But the fact that the home schedule is not better in year three -- that it hasn't improved with the on court improvement -- is on Tubby.

I, like Selection Sunday, don't think I'm unreasonable. I don't think that the Gophers need to play Duke, Kansas and UCLA.

Here are some opponents that I think would be great for home and homes: Baylor, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Providence, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, South Carolina, Vandy, Auburn.

All of those programs are sort of middle of the pack in their leagues, but they are still interesting. I don't understand why the Gophers can't have two home and homes going every year -- one of which is a home game and the other of which is a road game. If one of those is the ACC/Big Ten Challenge game, that is cool with me.

I don't think that it is too much to ask.

As a guide: 2008-09 Big 10 home & overall schedules

This likely provides ammo for both sides (home sked not tough enough, home sked in line with other Big 10 schools), but in the interest of fairness here's how Big 10 teams' 2008-09 home nonconference schedules ranked (based on FINAL 2008-09 RPI) from most difficult to least difficult. I'll monitor this again for next season & report back.

Please note, neutral-site games (i.e. Illinois at United Center, Michigan State at Ford Field, Purdue at Conseco) are not included in these totals. Also, all non-Division I opponents (i.e. Concordia-St. Paul) receive a RPI of #344, one worse than RPI bottom-feeder NJIT.

1. MICHIGAN STATE
Average RPI of Home Opponents: 152.2
Opponents with 300+ RPI: 1 (Alcorn State-342)
Top 100 Finishers: 2 (Kansas-11, Bradley-98)

2. WISCONSIN
Average RPI of Home Opponents: 167.571
Opponents with 300+ RPI: 1 (Non-DI-344)
Top 100 Finishers: 2 (Texas-41, Green Bay-71)

3. OHIO STATE
Average RPI of Home Opponents: 177.555
Opponents with 300+ RPI: 2 (Delaware State-300, Houston Baptist-312)
Top 100 Finishers: 2 (West Virginia-21, Butler-24)

4. INDIANA
Average RPI of Home Opponents: 192.833
Opponents with 300+ RPI: 1 (Northwestern State-311)
Top 100 Finishers: 1 (Northeastern-90)

5. ILLINOIS
Average RPI of Home Opponents: 206.375
Opponents with 300+ RPI: 1 (Eastern Michigan-318)
Top 100 Finishers: 1 (Clemson-28)

6. NORTHWESTERN
Average RPI of Home Opponents: 211.375
Opponents with 300+ RPI: 2 (UMKC-309, Central Arkansas-319)
Top 100 Finishers: 1 (Florida State-15)

7. GOPHERS
Average RPI of Home Opponents: 213.6
Opponents with 300+ RPI: 2 (High Point-325, Non-DI-344)
Top 100 Finishers: 1 (North Dakota State-87)

8. PURDUE
Average RPI of Home Opponents: 219.777
Opponents with 300+ RPI: 1 (Eastern Michigan-318)
Top 100 Finishers: 1 (Duke-1)

9. PENN STATE
Average RPI of Home Opponents: 223
Opponents with 300+ RPI: 2 (Lafayette-308, NJIT-343)
Top 100 Finishers: 1 (Temple-30)

10. IOWA
Average RPI of Home Opponents: 228.75
Opponents with 300+ RPI: 4 (Bryant-306, Charleston Southern-324, Western Illinois-328, Southeast Missouri State-339)
Top 100 Finishers: 1 (Northern Iowa-59)

11. MICHIGAN
Average RPI of Home Opponents: 243.375
Opponents with 300+ RPI: 4 (Florida Gulf Coast-310, Eastern Michigan-318, North Carolina Central-336, Non-DI-344)
Top 100 Finishers: 2 (Duke-1, Northeastern-90)

And for sh*ts and giggles, here's how Big 10 teams' OVERALL nonconference schedules ranked from most difficult to least difficult, using average RPI as the measuring tool.

1. Michigan State (115.583) -- 6 top 100s
2. Wisconsin (140.333) -- 5 top 100s
3. Indiana (150.333) -- 5 top 100s
4. Ohio State (158.181) -- 4 top 100s
5. Illinois (164.461) -- 4 top 100s
6. Michigan (166.615) -- 6 top 100s
7. Iowa (179.23) -- 4 top 100s
8. Purdue (182.615) -- 4 top 100s
9. Northwestern (193.454) -- 2 top 100s
10. GOPHERS (196) -- 2 top 100s
11. Penn State (207.076) -- 2 top 100s

Last but not least, where Big 10 schools ranked nationally in nonconference SOS, according to Jerry Palm's CollegeRPI.com.

1. Michigan State (24)
2. Wisconsin (40)
3. Indiana (48)
4. Michigan (50)
5. Illinois (111)
6. Ohio State (129)
7. Purdue (183)
8. GOPHERS (187)
9. Iowa (190)
10. Northwestern (214)
11. Penn State (307)

If you count the Concordia game, which is oddly omitted from the above analysis, the 2008-2009 NC schedule would be an average RPI of #213. So yes, this year's schedule is better. Now, better enough is whole other question.

I think we've all learned that stalking a coach and calling yourself a friend of his does not mean that you actually are.

Well Said, FOT.....The Constant Crying

Would you crying, whining, scheduling idiots take your issues somewhere else. No one here makes the schedule. In FOT's opinion this is a good OOC schedule. You don't like that, don't rip another poster here because it offends you. Go to the Gopher staff and whine....they make the schedule. You don't think Tubby knows enough to put together an OOC schedule that is in the best interest of the team? Ridiculous crying.

Fair enough. But if there's no crying (read: criticism) allowed here, then there's also no complete & utter homerism/hero-worshiping allowed. I'd suggest try taking off the "M" cheerleader outfit once in a while.

It's a pleasure to see you back in your snarky ways, From the Barn. The omission of Concordia from my analysis was simply an oversight on my part-when I looked back at last year's schedule I forgot it was a regular season game and not an exhibition. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back for catching my mistake.

Overly defensive? I was trying to make sure you were comparing apples to apples.

If you are going to go out of your way to prove someone wrong, it is generally a good idea to make sure you are right.

Overly defensive? I was trying to make sure you were comparing apples to apples.

If you are going to go out of your way to prove someone wrong, it is generally a good idea to make sure you are right.

Coolhand is probably not wrong. Remember, there is still one unnamed team on the schedule that has yet to be uncovered. All indications are that it will be a crap team, too. That will likely push the average for this year worse than last year. Either way, it is clear that the home fans aren't getting any decent non-conference matchups in the Barn this season. At least last year, there was a power conference opponent (albeit not a very good one in UVA). St. Joe's is a respectable program, but it should not be the marquee non-conference home game for a Big Ten team.

The original question on the thread was a question directed at FOT about Espisito and what the DOBO told FOT about the home, non-conference slate. FOT reported that Espisito claimed there would be an upgrade in the home non-league schedule and that the fans would be happy. That is not the case. No upgrade and fans are not pleased. So, either FOT was misinformed by Espisito (possible), or Espisito didn't understand the question as it relates to "home" OOC schedule (likely), or FOT was just making stuff up (unlikely).

Who knows who that last team will be. It almost certainly won't be another DII team (hopefully?)

This definitely isn't the block buster non-conference season that was hinted at though.

Who knows who that last team will be. It almost certainly won't be another DII team (hopefully?)

Almost certainly not a DII team, but anything worse than about #220 RPI would push this year's average worse than last year.

I'm a big Tubby supporter but give me a break. You sound like Bielema. There are no teams that are scared of playing the Gophers in Minneapolis. It's probably harder than people realize but this is not football. I could list 75 teams that virtually all Gopher fans would be happy to see, even including most of the Missouri Valley Conf.

You have NO idea what you are talking about. Go look at their record at home except dueing the Monson era. EVERY team should be scared of playing the Gophers at Willem!

Touche' FOT! Don't let that D-Bag Anonymous ride you!

I think we've all learned that stalking a coach and calling yourself a friend of his does not mean that you actually are.

I don't stalk anyone, and I am a distant friend of his - I saw him 3 times in the past year.

Ask Joel when you see him.

Top Bottom