Who is the Gophers best player right now?

Otis

Reaction score
Not Most Valuable, but best player.

Try not to let recruiting service hype alter your opinion.

Murphy. He rebounds, he posts up and he's tough. Three things we needed badly. Here's the great thing: We have a couple of really talented frosh who are going to be big time players but who will be here for the longer term. Dupree will join the discussion later and we add three more next year. This year will be a work in progress- next year we start to roll.

If any of you wonder if Pitino can coach these guys up- I submit to you the progress report of Charles Buggs, and he's far from finished yet with him. Very few here thought he could ever be a player that would average 30 minutes, 10 points and 5 boards.

Murphy. He rebounds, he posts up and he's tough. Three things we needed badly. Here's the great thing: We have a couple of really talented frosh who are going to be big time players but who will be here for the longer term. Dupree will join the discussion later and we add three more next year. This year will be a work in progress- next year we start to roll.

If any of you wonder if Pitino can coach these guys up- I submit to you the progress report of Charles Buggs, and he's far from finished yet with him. Very few here thought he could ever be a player that would average 30 minutes, 10 points and 5 boards.
Not to mention the transformation of Mo Walker! I would also argue Day Day McNeil was turning into a solid player as well

Murphy. EZ question.

3 good games after not doing much the first 5 games and now he's our best player? If he continues to put up numbers like that the rest of the year, then I'll agree. As of today, I'll still take Mason.

I am hoping by the end of the season it will be:

1. Murphy
2. Mason
3. Dorsey
4. McBrayer

But I'm sure King will still be in the top 2. Defensively this team needs to pick it up.

Today I would go
1) Mason
2) King
3) Murphy
4) Buggs
5) Morris
6) Dorsey
7) Konate
8) McBrayer
9) Gilbert
10) Sharp
11) Gaston

This is a stretch considering we have Coffey coming in next year, but Jordan Murphy is the kind of guy who could lead the team in scoring for four years, not to mention rebounding.

To answer the question of who the team's best player is, I always ask the question of who can do things that other players can't do? Mason has a nice all-around game, has some nice abilities and plays solidly, but he's similar to a lot of guards around the country. Besides Murphy, King and Buggs are the guys who can do things other players can't do. King will be near the top of the NCAA in 3-point FG and FT percentages this year. Buggs can do things athletically that his teammates can't touch. But I'll still go with Murphy.

Murphy should be considered our best player right now if for no other reason than he is the only one that can rebound with any consistency. The points are nice too. The thread posed the question in the present, so I think you gotta go with the guy racking up double doubles. At some point Mason may take another step, or Joey could learn how to rebound/defend, but right now, I think Murphy is clearly the guy.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#FirePitino

Little off topic, but currently our 4 primary guards are shooting 83-242 from the field (34.3%) and 26-94 from 3 (27.7%). I'm posting that because I suppose it's possible it could stay that low all year, but, is it perhaps reason for a little optimism that the team could reasonably look a bit better if those shooting numbers approach more typical figures? What do others think?

Little off topic, but currently our 4 primary guards are shooting 83-242 from the field (34.3%) and 26-94 from 3 (27.7%). I'm posting that because I suppose it's possible it could stay that low all year, but, is it perhaps reason for a little optimism that the team could reasonably look a bit better if those shooting numbers approach more typical figures? What do others think?

It worries me a little. I think Pitino's offense is designed to get open 3's, which I like, but if guys can't make them or aren't good shooters we could be in trouble.

What Do you guys see?

Today I would go
1) Mason
2) King
3) Murphy
4) Buggs
5) Morris
6) Dorsey
7) Konate
8) McBrayer
9) Gilbert
10) Sharp
11) Gaston

Some disclaimers to start...I have not seen that many games this year. But the ones I have seen and the stats suggest to me that Mason is not playing as well as last year. I know stats don't tell the whole story either but everybody has him 1 or 2...just wondering why? The idea was not most important but best? He is playing the most minutes...shooting 36%, 31% from 3, 2.5 reb, 4.5 asst leader but he is the ball handler, so he should be, 2 TO's and 12.8 ppg I'm not saying Morris is the best player but he is shooting better at 41% and 37% from 3, and avg 5 reb per game and 10.8 ppg on 5 less minutes. Mason wouldn't be in my top 3 the games I've seen him play added to the stats as best player. And maybe that's clouded by the fact I expect Mason to play a lot better than I've seen him this year based on what I saw last year. Again, haven't seen all the games...

Top Bottom