Home loss to a poor Summit League team in year 3

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
All of you are continuing to get what you wished for.

YES! The Gophers lost! I am so happy! We could still be having the glory years of Tubby Smith! I love mediocrity and losing Big Ten records! Now it's time to go snuggle with my Tubby Smith life-size doll..

That's all I took from this brilliant "I know more than everyone else " thread.

Michigan State lost last year to Texas Southern at home. It happens to the best of them

Michigan State lost last year to Texas Southern at home. It happens to the best of them

Texas Southern was in the process of making its 2nd straight Tournament appearance. I can see where you'd be confused, though - we fire coaches for making the Tournament around here. We extend and give raises to the ones who miss the postseason altogether.

Texas Southern was in the process of making its 2nd straight Tournament appearance.

We understand that you are confused in thinking losing at home to Texas Southern is somehow acceptable in any way, shape, or form. That's okay, I'm sure it's a hard concept.

We also understand that you define success based on one game over the course of 205 games, so it's not surprising that you start this thread after a solitary game. Had we made the tournament last year, you still would've made this thread this year to promote your pro-Tubby crusade.

Tubby is gone. He is not coming back. Pitino is our coach. If his 6 year results are the same as Tubby, he too will be gone. GET OVER IT.

We understand that you are confused in thinking losing at home to Texas Southern is somehow acceptable in any way, shape, or form. That's okay, I'm sure it's a hard concept.

We also understand that you define success based on one game over the course of 205 games, so it's not surprising that you start this thread after a solitary game. Had we made the tournament last year, you still would've made this thread this year to promote your pro-Tubby crusade.

Tubby is gone. He is not coming back. Pitino is our coach. If his 6 year results are the same as Tubby, he too will be gone. GET OVER IT.

I'm not pro-Tubby, I'm pro-making the NCAA Tournament and winning games there. Pitino has no chance to equal his predecessor's record here, and will be lucky to make it to a 6th season. Somehow three appearances in six years wasn't good enough, yet zero in three years (not looking promising for the 4th either) gets you patience and excuse-making.

I'm not pro-Tubby, I'm pro-making the NCAA Tournament and winning games there. Pitino has no chance to equal his predecessor's record here, and will be lucky to make it to a 6th season. Somehow three appearances in six years wasn't good enough, yet zero in three years (not looking promising for the 4th either) gets you patience and excuse-making.
Why waste your time calling for his head? He is getting at least one more year. You going to spend the next two years crying? You must be a fun guy to be around. lol Throw your steak in the micro wave and go to bed.

I think most people here are simply hopeful that the team will improve over this year, and continue to improve. And those same fans are supportive of this team and this coach.

I would have been O.K. with another year of Tubby to prove himself. For a number of years the team was ranked quite highly (historically), but had devastating injuries which really sullied his record here (remember having to start Hoff at PG?). His last year here, he was also ranked, but I feel he underperformed and began to believe that there was a backward slide going on, so I don't know how long his leash could even be. For that reason, I was fine with the move to a new coach. It was a tough call.

Was the right coach hired? We don't know yet, but I'll support this team, as it is, until I feel that the administration needs to make a move. That move might be to increase compensation and duration, or it might be to move on. I don't have enough information as of this time.

The only thing I know for sure is that Tubby is gone, and looking back does little right now. I expect a B10 coach to take a team like we have assembled and show growth through the season. It may mean a sub .500 season, but I think it's realistic to expect improvement.

Let me grab your binkie and blankie so you can go curl up in the fetal position somewhere.

The roster that Richie inherited was so depleted of talent and depth that I was actually embarrassed for Tubby's recruiting effort. Now we have Mason, Murphy, Dorsey, Lynch, Fitzgerald, Hurt, Curry and Coffey in the pipeline. Yet to be seen if he can coach but he can definitely recruit.

Your condescending tone and "know it all" persona is a complete drain on this message board. I, for one, can't wait to watch these younger players come in and develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitino has no chance to equal his predecessor's record here, and will be lucky to make it to a 6th season.

For someone who jumps down people's throats for making statements that can't be proven, I find it ironic that you throw this out there.

The sky is for surely falling

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

he has as close to no chance to match that as they come.

Freshman are pretty good (need to see some scoring McB) but add Coffee, Curry, etc., and the following recruiting classes, not sure making the tourney 3 for 3 is a 'no chance'

Pitino gets a pass from me this year but if we don't make the tourney next year with a talented roster, the gloves come off.

I'm as pro pitino as they come, I'll basically agree with dpo, he has as close to no chance to match that as they come.

Very well could be true. Might not match the tourney 3 out of 6 years. I'm hoping he shatters the 1 tourney win though. But I'm a cockeyed optimist.

Freshman are pretty good (need to see some scoring McB) but add Coffee, Curry, etc., and the following recruiting classes, not sure making the tourney 3 for 3 is a 'no chance'

****, are we year 3 or 4?

My bad. You're right.

I'm as pro pitino as they come, I'll basically agree with dpo, he has as close to no chance to match that as they come.

If Pitino's year 4 or 5 team gets to a Sweet 16/Elite 8, I'll take that over Tubby's inspiring bids as an 11-seed.

FWIW, I was pretty pro-Tubby on here. I think it would have worked well here had Royce/Mbakwe/Nolen injury not happened. But he wasn't fired for 'only' getting to the second round of the NCAA's. He was fired because it was clear it was headed downhill from there.

Pitino gets a pass from me this year but if we don't make the tourney next year with a talented roster, the gloves come off.

This is correct. I have no concerns about today. We have a frosh forward who pulled 17 boards and a frosh PG that is gaining confidence and going to be great. We another frosh McBrayer who is going to be really good and an incoming class for next year that will bring us both experience and a lot of talent. Let's give this team some support and watch it get better. Pitino isn't going anywhere and next year is going to be a lot of fun.

How many actually watched this game? I just looked at the box score. Not concerned. All I care is that mason doesn't regress, konate starts to progress, Murphy Dorsey and Mac turn into players.

Top Bottom