Pitino post game: South Dakota did a really good job and we did not.

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here are the quick notes - as always, not verbatim, just picking up what I can as he talks:

Richard Pitino:
• Tough one, obviously. Gotta give them all the credit, we didn't do a good job guarding. Craig did a great job preparing those guys, we were concerned going into it after the high of Clemson. It's a disappointing one, we need to find a way to really learn from it, because we have a good SD team coming in on Tuesday.
• We got on it right away (a slow start) we were just sluggish. USD did a really good job and we did not.
• Jordan fouling out - tried to save him a bit in the 1st OT, and we really needed him in the game, Bakary was in there and hurt us.
• They were spacing us out pretty well. They'd go pure motion, we got spread out too much and got away from our principles. They made big shots when they needed to. That was a big 3 by number 3.
• I didn't think Konate was playing really well. Murph and Joey were. They were playing well.
• On Eric Robertson from Wayzata - I'm sure he's motivated, I know it means a lot to those guys when they come and play, credit to him.
• In 1st OT - did they feel like they had it? Kevin didn't call the time out, a couple of possessions we didn't convert, but we didn't feel the game was over. They made the plays, we did not.
• I don't think we're a great shooting team, that's a great concern of mine. We were getting a little bit locked up in the posts. We certainly missed some FT's we need to hit as well.
• On Mason - he obviously didn't play a great game today, but he's really good. Just needs to learn from it and move on. Some of his layups could have gone in and out.
• Murph sending it into OT - great winning play. He's a good player, he makes some effort plays, 17 boards as a freshman. We try to give some of those guys some breaks.
• We talked about more than anything, preparation leading up to games. Knock on wood, we hadn't lost one of these games, you're always concerned, Craig did a great job. You've got to teach them, and move on. Luckily we play on Tuesday. Teach, learn, a lot of teachable moments from this game.
• On FT shooting at crucial times - with Clemson, we made some big ones. FT's are so hard for me. We've been good, but it's still early. Give them credit, they deserve it.

a high from Clemson ? A 10th place ACC team at home in year 3 ! Players should enjoy wins but if they got overly pumped that is on the coaching staff. This is a bottom 5 staff in the conference.

We're stuck with RP, right? At least this year and next?

Have to give him next year but if they are worse than 6th in the conference he should go.

I guarantee built badgers didn't watch the game today.

was at the game today. Have has season tickets here for 30 years.

Pitino cannot coach. His offensive and defensive schemes don't work. He cannot recruit centers. He will be the next in a long list of losers since Clem got canned to be forced out. Why can't we find a guy with Clem's ability to coach and recruit with a guy who makes kids do their homework?

• Jordan fouling out - tried to save him a bit in the 1st OT, and we really needed him in the game, Bakary was in there and hurt us.

Plenty of his key guys were terrible tonight, not sure how ripping Konate publicly is going to help anything.

Jordan is a stud, bet Shaka wishes he could have made room for him at Tex.

Lived here after living in Carmel CA. in 1985. Had a strong relaionship professionally with Pat Richter that led to Bennett being hired so got season tickets in Madison as well. Have been or around the college game since 1964. Love college basketball. Not a fan of how the UM goes about running the athletic department. Hiring Teague was laughed at nationally. How many B10 titles in the 2 big sports have been won in the last 50 years ? Fans here even expect and accept mediocrity. It is frustrating. My tickets are more expensive at Williams than at the Kohl Center or JPJ at UVA and they are all halfcourt , basket height .

I guarantee built badgers didn't watch the game today.
+1 Probably caught the wisconsin game though. Seems like his posts are either whining about Pitino and coaching or something about wisconsin. I guess he did post about Amir Coffey although he was wrong about that saying they loved Michigan and the coaching staff and he would be going there unless a "blue blood" offered.

What was Pitino's pregame phrase? "It's a game, well I woundnt call it a Charity game, but These schools have MN kids." Looks like it was charity prep effort by Rich, nice choice of words.

Will the SDSU game be charity too? I'd be a lot more worried about that one than SD. The Jack have some talented guards.

Lived here after living in Carmel CA. in 1985. Had a strong relaionship professionally with Pat Richter that led to Bennett being hired so got season tickets in Madison as well. Have been or around the college game since 1964. Love college basketball. Not a fan of how the UM goes about running the athletic department. Hiring Teague was laughed at nationally. How many B10 titles in the 2 big sports have been won in the last 50 years ? Fans here even expect and accept mediocrity. It is frustrating. My tickets are more expensive at Williams than at the Kohl Center or JPJ at UVA and they are all halfcourt , basket height .

You also can't fire coaches every 2 years if they don't win a Big 10 title.

Pitino was always a potential hire. Just as his players are young. Pitino was also going to need time to develop. I know that hurts for a lot of people. But Pitino is a high risk, high reward hire.

He came out like an all star year 1. Was a dud year 2. People can say "oh it's year 3!!! It's his recruits!!!!" To me, right or wrong, he spent years 1 and 2 getting mostly Jucos and transfers to win now with an inherited older roster.

This is a rebuilding year. How people don't see that, idk. It's about development. Nothing else. Next year we should have tons of depth, more experience, a very good recruiting class coming in, and raised expectations.

Going to take our lumps this year. But demanding for a 33 years old coach. In his third year. With a bunch of freshman and sophomores to be fired is the most idiotic thing ever. He has a lot of room to grow as a coach and I have no doubt he will. Is coach K the exact same coach now as he was at 33? Probably not. Pitino will learn and evolve and get better just as his players will. We didn't hire a finished product like with Tubby we hired a coach we hope eventually will develop and grow into something better.

To me the biggest thing a college program needs,
Football or basketball, is continuity. Recruits need to know who their coach is. Coaches need to know they can play for the long term so they can put together a vision instead of sacrificing to win now at the cost of the future (which I do think Pitino did a bit of years 1 and 2 and personally don't care for). The development of this freshman class combined with a good class and good transfers next year is huge. And as you keep bringing in good classes and keep developing it all compounds and you have success. That was one problem with tubby, the good recruiting classes had slowed down. As long as Pitino keeps bringing in good recruiting classes and the players show improvement every year the wins and success will come from that.

Agreed. is it happening?

Mason has had improved moments this year from last year. Rough game against SD though.

Konate and Gas are a little concerning, but Konate does look somewhat better (not saying a whole lot though)

The freshman are freshman. Murphy and Dorsey have certainly improved throughout the year (who's the last freshman to have 19-17 or whatever?)

Buggs has also looked much better this year than last.

Morris is a miss IMO and King has absolutely gotten better to the point it seems his physical limitations will allow. 60% from 3 this year is incredible at any point in the season.

So as of now, I'd say yes. They are. But it has to keep happening over and over, year over year. And the make up of the roster the first two years was a lot of inherited players and upperclassmen. Which makes the year 2 under achievement more disappointing.

Agreed. is it happening?

There haven't been enough players to play for him long enough to really gauge that... Buggs and King have played for him the longest, each has progressed rather significantly in my eyes.

Mason has had improved moments this year from last year. Rough game against SD though.

Konate and Gas are a little concerning, but Konate does look somewhat better (not saying a whole lot though)

The freshman are freshman. Murphy and Dorsey have certainly improved throughout the year (who's the last freshman to have 19-17 or whatever?)

Buggs has also looked much better this year than last.

Morris is a miss IMO and King has absolutely gotten better to the point it seems his physical limitations will allow. 60% from 3 this year is incredible at any point in the season.

So as of now, I'd say yes. They are. But it has to keep happening over and over, year over year. And the make up of the roster the first two years was a lot of inherited players and upperclassmen. Which makes the year 2 under achievement more disappointing.

King has improved a great deal. I would say that some of that is due to Pitino but probably more is due to King's own efforts and maturity. Buggs has definitely improved but his length, athleticism, and fair shooting ability were all evident in his redshirt freshman year. I would argue that Mason looks worse than he did at this time last year (objectively speaking, he's having a fairly poor early season especially considering expectations). Morris looks worse, too.

Konate may look "somewhat better" but he should be more improved than that. The primary rationale for benching Elliot so much of last year was to give the center of the future more playing time but that strategy doesn't seem to have reaped significant benefits. His biggest problems remain mental: he gets caught out of position and watching the ball (and missing the man slipping behind him) far too much on defense. His rebounding positioning and reactions are almost always behind. It's still too early to make a definitive call but he's looking a lot like a "miss" at this point as well.

Dorsey has improved noticeably since the beginning of the season. McBrayer hasn't, although he's decent on the defensive end. For Gilbert, it's hard to say as he doesn't get much of a chance. As far as Murphy, if a freshman has games like his last two at this point of the season, then I think it's fair to say that he brought that package of goods with him.

There haven't been enough players to play for him long enough to really gauge that... Buggs and King have played for him the longest, each has progressed rather significantly in my eyes.

Are you saying that Pitino should be considered a successful developer of talent if players who have reached senior age and at least their third season with him have improved significantly? If that is your standard, then don't expect much in the way of postseason in the Pitino era unless he manages to recruit the bluest of blue chippers.

Are you saying that Pitino should be considered a successful developer of talent if players who have reached senior age and at least their third season with him have improved significantly? If that is your standard, then don't expect much in the way of postseason in the Pitino era unless he manages to recruit the bluest of blue chippers.
no

King has improved a great deal. I would say that some of that is due to Pitino but probably more is due to King's own efforts and maturity. Buggs has definitely improved but his length, athleticism, and fair shooting ability were all evident in his redshirt freshman year. I would argue that Mason looks worse than he did at this time last year (objectively speaking, he's having a fairly poor early season especially considering expectations). Morris looks worse, too. Konate may look "somewhat better" but he should be more improved than that. The primary rationale for benching Elliot so much of last year was to give the center of the future more playing time but that strategy doesn't seem to have reaped significant benefits. His biggest problems remain mental: he gets caught out of position and watching the ball (and missing the man slipping behind him) far too much on defense. His rebounding positioning and reactions are almost always behind. It's still too early to make a definitive call but he's looking a lot like a "miss" at this point as well. Dorsey has improved noticeably since the beginning of the season. McBrayer hasn't, although he's decent on the defensive end. For Gilbert, it's hard to say as he doesn't get much of a chance. As far as Murphy, if a freshman has games like his last two at this point of the season, then I think it's fair to say that he brought that package of goods with him.

So King improved but not because of Pitino. Bakary a little better but not enough and definitely not because of Pitino. Pitino recruited and landed Murphy and Dorsey but they were good out of high school and even though they've gotten better every game, it has nothing to do with Pitino. Got it.

So King improved but not because of Pitino. Bakary a little better but not enough and definitely not because of Pitino. Pitino recruited and landed Murphy and Dorsey but they were good out of high school and even though they've gotten better every game, it has nothing to do with Pitino. Got it.

That's the nature when people hate a coach. Happened to Tubby too. Player doesn't develop? Tubby's fault. Player develops? Hard nosed kid who'd have been fine on his own.

Actually, your paraphrasing is pretty inaccurate. You should go into writing political propaganda.

He came out like an all star year 1.

I disagree. You don't get all-star recognition for making the consolation tournament (not to mention having a worse season than the previous one which got your predecessor a pink slip).

I disagree. You don't get all-star recognition for making the consolation tournament (not to mention having a worse season than the previous one which got your predecessor a pink slip).
Agree. But you need to admit it was quite unlikely Tubby would have even had that much success with the group he had returning. Then we can put that line to bed, right?

Just like how Hollins regressed, Ellenson left, Josh Martin left, McNeil was stupid and got kicked off the team, Eliason was inconsistent and never developed, Walker was inconsistent, etc. None of that was on Pitino.

Top Bottom