Lil Ricky on Defense

Gopherguy0723

Reaction score
Lil Ricky cannot coach defense. He hasn't had a good defensive team in any season he has been here.

He gets to coach next year's team. But if he doesn't improve, Lil Ricky will make Tubby seem like a hero.

I tend to think his players can't play defense. Believe it or not defense is talented related,many times not effort or coaching.

I tend to think his players can't play defense. Believe it or not defense is talented related,many times not effort or coaching.

It's scheme too. We were getting picked apart on their screen game. Over and over.

What are we doing on offense? Has there been a game this season where we have had more assists than the other team?

Where is the run and gun mentality and tenacious D we've been hearing about? This team has no transition game. Very ugly team basketball. Hopefully it's just the youth.

Lil Ricky cannot coach defense. He hasn't had a good defensive team in any season he has been here. He gets to coach next year's team. But if he doesn't improve, Lil Ricky will make Tubby seem like a hero.

His name is Richard unless you're referring to him as a young version of his father Rick. If that's the case Rick Pitino is pretty good coach and we can only hope for similar success from RICHARD. Happy Sunday.

His name is Richard unless you're referring to him as a young version of his father Rick. If that's the case Rick Pitino is pretty good coach and we can only hope for similar success from RICHARD. Happy Sunday.

I'm with ya.

I find "Lil/Little Ricky very demeaning.

The student-athletes represent all of us. Unfortunately they represent these disgusting people too.

Anyone have a running tally on how many GHers have jumped off the ledge so far? I've been avoiding the site for awhile and haven't kept track.

I think there's an attitude of "he's not one of us" and "he's a silver spoon kid".

He is a silver spoon kid. How many other Big Ten coaches are hired at the age of 31 with one year of low level head coaching experience, only a small number of years of assistant coaching experience, and no higher level playing experience?

As far as the "he's not one of us" attitude, I don't know that that means and I don't think you really do either.

look stupid instead.

Yes, much better to give the impression of being relentlessly dull, verbally challenged, and thoroughly devoid of interest like you and your good buddy Station19.

He is a silver spoon kid. How many other Big Ten coaches are hired at the age of 31 with one year of low level head coaching experience, only a small number of years of assistant coaching experience, and no higher level playing experience?

As far as the "he's not one of us" attitude, I don't know that that means and I don't think you really do either.

Looks like it hit home.

Not really that hard to figure out.

Yes, much better to give the impression of being relentlessly dull, verbally challenged, and thoroughly devoid of interest like you and your good buddy Station19.

And we love you too.

Edit: I don't think he likes us Doc.:cry:

He is a silver spoon kid. How many other Big Ten coaches are hired at the age of 31 with one year of low level head coaching experience, only a small number of years of assistant coaching experience, and no higher level playing experience? As far as the "he's not one of us" attitude, I don't know that that means and I don't think you really do either.

Was he supposed to say "no, I don't deserve that Minnesota job. Find someone else"?

Richard is not Big Ten head coach material, IMO.

That's similar to what Duke experts said about Coach K after his 1st 3 seasons there. Just think, if Duke would have shown him the door then.

Instant gratification or fire him. Stupid.

He is a silver spoon kid. How many other Big Ten coaches are hired at the age of 31 with one year of low level head coaching experience, only a small number of years of assistant coaching experience, and no higher level playing experience? As far as the "he's not one of us" attitude, I don't know that that means and I don't think you really do either.

Coaches with 20 years experience have failed at Minnesota and other places as have those with none and everywhere in between. Coaching hires aren't an exact science. NT made a high risk hire that will either work great or won't. Which is the case regardless of who your coaching hire was. Pitino likely does need more work not having the experience, but the alternative to not hiring him or someone like him is they go to another mid major, get more experience, and either shine so much the blue bloods want them or do average so MN fans say "great, another Dan Monson" or "eh he was average at (insert mid major here) how is he going to win here??"

And the "one of us" attitude, for a lot of people here, is the Midwestern country schtick. It's why Jerry Kill was instantly loved. Pitino is an east coast guy. That turns off a lot of "country folk" here who hate those east coast elitists.

Anyone have a running tally on how many GHers have jumped off the ledge so far? I've been avoiding the site for awhile and haven't kept track.

Half of them were big supporters earlier in the week.... So you didn't miss much, same old same old. This place is rather toxic right now, which can be expected given the prerequisites to posting here.

I certainly agree that defense was sadly missing yesterday but even a simply average shooting day from Morris, King and Mason, or even any 2 of them and we would have won the game regardless of the bad defense. The coach cannot put the ball in the basket for them, that is on the players.

That's similar to what Duke experts said about Coach K after his 1st 3 seasons there. Just think, if Duke would have shown him the door then.

Time will tell, friend. Hopefully you're right and I'm wrong.

Duke lost to Wagner in Ks third year. Wagner won only 4 games that year. Year 4 was Ks breakout year

Coaches with 20 years experience have failed at Minnesota and other places as have those with none and everywhere in between. Coaching hires aren't an exact science. NT made a high risk hire that will either work great or won't. Which is the case regardless of who your coaching hire was. Pitino likely does need more work not having the experience, but the alternative to not hiring him or someone like him is they go to another mid major, get more experience, and either shine so much the blue bloods want them or do average so MN fans say "great, another Dan Monson" or "eh he was average at (insert mid major here) how is he going to win here??"

And the "one of us" attitude, for a lot of people here, is the Midwestern country schtick. It's why Jerry Kill was instantly loved. Pitino is an east coast guy. That turns off a lot of "country folk" here who hate those east coast elitists.

Well, for your information, I'm a born and bred east coaster and I'm underwhelmed by him as well. For most people on this board, I don't think this is about personality. I'm a big believer in either paying your dues or showing great talent before you ascend to the highest positions of your profession. As far as I can see, he's done neither. All he has is a famous name. Chris Collins has one, too, but he spent 15 years under a Hall of Fame coach (and played the game at a high level as well) before getting his Big Ten coaching job.

Time will tell? You could say that about anyone, but normally Big Ten coaching positions aren't the place where novices begin working on their professional development.

Pitino won't and shouldn't be fired this year. Next year will make or break him. A new athletic director will have absolutely no loyalty to Pitino. In fact, athletic directors love to make their mark by hiring their guys as football and men's basketball coaches. Those are the visible faces of the athletic department, and athletic directors want to pick winners to pad their resume and stay around for a long time.

Pitino will need a good year next year, or he's gone, no question about it. Claeys will be lucky to have beyond next season as well if he doesn't win big.

Well, for your information, I'm a born and bred east coaster and I'm underwhelmed by him as well. For most people on this board, I don't think this is about personality. I'm a big believer in either paying your dues or showing great talent before you ascend to the highest positions of your profession. As far as I can see, he's done neither. All he has is a famous name. Chris Collins has one, too, but he spent 15 years under a Hall of Fame coach (and played the game at a high level as well) before getting his Big Ten coaching job. Time will tell? You could say that about anyone, but normally Big Ten coaching positions aren't the place where novices begin working on their professional development.

Wasn't trying to insinuate you felt that way about him being from our east, but I do believe there are certainly those that feel that way.

And would also typically agree a Big 10 job isn't the place for on the job training, NT went with the buy low strategy and we will hopefully find out next year/rest of this year if he made a good call. But it's also not like there is a long list of proven coaches just begging to coach here either. Sometimes have to take chances and hope it works.

I am optimistic about Pitino, but he coached an awful game against SD. hopefully we see some improvement from him too

Well, for your information, I'm a born and bred east coaster and I'm underwhelmed by him as well. For most people on this board, I don't think this is about personality. I'm a big believer in either paying your dues or showing great talent before you ascend to the highest positions of your profession. As far as I can see, he's done neither. All he has is a famous name. Chris Collins has one, too, but he spent 15 years under a Hall of Fame coach (and played the game at a high level as well) before getting his Big Ten coaching job.

Time will tell? You could say that about anyone, but normally Big Ten coaching positions aren't the place where novices begin working on their professional development.

The old "not one of us" bs gets way too much play. It has nothing to do with Pitino, if he wins he will be one of us!

It sounds to me that you have a negative bias against someone who has been given a stretch opportunity. We all know what NT was going for when he hired Pitino. He was hoping to get a young hot shot coach before he was priced out of our reach. We all know that there will be a learning curve that at times will be tough to accept, but we need to be patient and enjoy the ride. This is the only way we will get our own Izo, or K, so we need to give it time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And it really pisses you off, doesn't it?

Top Bottom