TCF Bank Stadium Nickname Poll

What will TCF Bank Stadium's unofficial nickname be?

• "The Bank"

Votes: 39 31.2%
  • "The Vault"

Votes: 14 11.2%
  • "The Brickhouse"

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • It won't have any one nickname

Votes: 19 15.2%

• Total voters

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Since Everyone's begun to stir again about what the nickname of the new TCF Bank Stadium will be, I figured this would be as good of a time as any to create a poll to see what's going to come out of it. Again, it's unofficial...people will call it what they want. It will be interesting to see what GopherHolers will be interested in calling it, though...

Just so long as it isn't Kinnick North!

Not the Brickhouse, let Memorial Stadium rest in peace. New building, new era, new nickname.

I'm going with "Brickhouse", for several reasons... it is a nod to Gopher football past; it does indeed have a brick facade both interior wall and exterior; it can always be 'the brickhouse' even long after TCF BANK is purchased, goes out of business, or loses the naming rights to someone else after the contract is up.

This is Minnesota. It will have many nicknames. A gold out can't even be executed right.

Anyone else concerned that in 10 years the sponsorship will change and we will be working on a new name? Maybe General Mills will pony up and we could call it the Cereal Bowl.

The Gopher stadium. plain and simple. A nickname will develop over time. It will probably come from the players or some crazy, random event/game.

I voted for the Vault, but I kinda like these ideas:
[A] The Brew Pub;
The Gopher Hole;
[C] The Gold Mine;
[D] The Golden Gridiron

I voted for the Vault, but I kinda like these ideas:
[A] The Brew Pub;
The Gopher Hole;
[C] The Gold Mine;
[D] The Golden Gridiron

I like B. Or The Gopher Den. I don't know if Gophers have dens though :confused: haha

I've been looking at various Encyclopedia entries on Gophers for nickname ideas. How about "The Burrow"?

Gopher
The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition | 2008 | The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. Copyright 2008 Columbia University Press. (Hide copyright information) Copyright
gopher or pocket gopher, name for the burrowing rodents of the family Geomyidae, found in North America and Central America. The gopher is gray, buff, or dark brown. Its combined head and body length is 5 to 12 in. (13-30 cm) depending on the species; its tail is short. The name pocket gopher refers to the fur-lined pouches that open on the outside of its cheeks and are used for carrying food and nesting material. The gopher has extremely long upper and lower teeth, which are always exposed, and broad forepaws armed with enormous claws; it uses its teeth as picks and its forepaws as shovels as it tunnels through the ground. Because gophers do not hibernate, they must accumulate stores of food for the winter. They live and do most of their foraging underground, feeding chiefly on roots and tubers. Except for brief pairing during the mating season, gophers are solitary—a gopher or pocket gopher, name for the burrowing rodents of the family Geomyidae, found in North America and Central America. The gopher is gray, buff, or dark brown. Its combined head and body length is 5 to 12 in. (13-30 cm) depending on the species; its tail is short. The name pocket gopher refers to the fur-lined pouches that open on the outside of its cheeks and are used for carrying food and nesting material. The gopher has extremely long upper and lower teeth, which are always exposed, and broad forepaws armed with enormous claws; it uses its teeth as picks and its forepaws as shovels as it tunnels through the ground. Because gophers do not hibernate, they must accumulate stores of food for the winter. They live and do most of their foraging underground, feeding chiefly on roots and tubers. Except for brief pairing during the mating season, gophers are solitary—a single animal occupies each tunnel system. Although their extensive, ramifying tunnels sometimes damage earth dams and banks, gophers are of some value as agents of soil aeration and in forming humus by burying organic matter. Eastern pocket gophers, species of the genus Geomys, are found in the United States from the Rocky Mts. to the Mississippi valley and on the Gulf Coast. Western pocket gophers, species of Thomomys, are found from the Rocky Mts. to the Pacific and from S Canada to the Mexican border. The Mexican pocket gopher, Cratogeomys castanops, ranges from the SW United States to central Mexico. Other genera are found in Mexico and Central America. The name gopher is also applied to the ground squirrel in some regions. Gophers are classified in the phylum Chordata , subphylum Vertebrata, class Mammalia, order Rodentia, family Geomyidae.

We've got the "Barn" next door, this is the "Yard"

The best nicknames take a while to develop and build up momentum. Silly polls certainly aren't the way to pick a name. After a few seasons or perhaps many season one will gain momentum in local media and then nomenclenture perhaps from a famous sports call or reference by the coach.

It reminds me of a guy who insisted on being called "Scoop" when he was in college. Awkward.

Anyone else concerned that in 10 years the sponsorship will change and we will be working on a new name? Maybe General Mills will pony up and we could call it the Cereal Bowl.

I would be more concerned that we never get the 35 million, as it was to be paid mostly on the back end of a 25 year span and the way TCF is invested that isn't necessarily money in the bank [bad pun very much intended].:clap:

Is there a need for a nickname? TCF Bank Stadium isn't exactly phonetically pleasing but it is what it is. I would guess that media and anybody else that refers to the stadium will be given strict guidance to refer to the stadium by TCF Bank Stadium and nothing else. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that the naming rights contract requires as much. TCF won't be referred to by the ABC crew as "The Vault" or "Bank" or anything the way they refer to "The Big House" in Ann Arbor. Any nickname would be well confined to a few Gopher faithful.

I would venture that before long, "TCF" will be a relatively well understood shorthand reference to the stadium. Not really a nick name.

The Gopher Hole would be perfect if the stadium had actually been sunk deeper (like the Rosebowl is).

I would guess that media and anybody else that refers to the stadium will be given strict guidance to refer to the stadium by TCF Bank Stadium and nothing else. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that the naming rights contract requires as much. TCF won't be referred to by the ABC crew as "The Vault" or "Bank" or anything the way they refer to "The Big House" in Ann Arbor. Any nickname would be well confined to a few Gopher faithful.

I wouldn't assume this. I've heard many stadiums referred to by their nickname, regardless of how new the building (or name) is. One in particular that comes to mind is US Cellular Field, which I've heard referred to as "The Cell" many times over in the national media. Others that come to mind that I have heard used to some extent include "The Safe" (Safeco Field, Seattle), "The Q" (Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland) and "The 'X'' (Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul). These are by no means old, venerable buildings, but the nickname of some places just picks up. I think if a nickname really picks up steam, it will lead to it being referred to on a larger scope than you think.

Not sure it matters what we think, it sure seems like "The Bank" has already won out, at least with people I talk to and listening to the media.

It doesn't matter what nickname the media or the general public use. If you run into somebody who calls it "The Brickhouse", you will know that they are a diehard Gopher football fan who probably logs into GopherHole on a regular basis. It will be like a secret handshake between members of a club. Gophers Stadium was designed to be an homage to Memorial Stadium. This is understood by anyone who ever attended a game at Memorial Stadium, or has studied photographs of it. In the world of sports stadiums, the U owns "The Brickhouse" nickname. It is one of the best stadium nicknames in the world. For this reason, none of the Gopher fans I know will EVER refer to Gophers Stadium as "TCF", "The Bank", or "The Vault".

Nickname...? Can't believe that anyone is worried about what the stadium will be called....the current name is TCF Bank Stadium. To the general population it will probably be known as the Gopher Stadium. In the end, the nickname will be up to the media to decide.

i actually kick every person i know who calls it "the bank" or "the vault" in the nuts...

Stan55

I'm a new poster but an old fan from the 50's on. Name the Stadium after the greatest Gopher. (Bronco) Nagurski Stadium

"The Stadium"

don't need to say anything more than that, IMO. But if folks insist and that's too drab, how about "The UnDome"?

Top Bottom