Cole Stefan buzz?

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
This is from Mike DeCourcy at Sporting News. I haven't heard much about him lately, but I recall his name being bandied about last season as a potential/second level recruit for the Gophers:

Cole Stefan, 6-3 shooting guard, Greenwood, Minn.

If there were better shooters in Vegas this week, they probably were at craps tables. It's hard to imagine many basketball players getting this hot.

Stefan has the powerful build of a high school quarterback and range like Mariah Carey. He hit four 3-pointers and scored 23 points in the Net Gain Sports' victory Saturday over the Derek Smith All-Stars of Louisville. One of his threes came from roughly 30 feet. It was not a buzzer-beater; it was a routine (for him) jumpshot out of the halfcourt offense.

How does a player judge when to take such a shot?

"Off reversals. Sometimes I kind of feel it. Maybe a heat check once in a while," Stefan said. "When I'm in rhythm, I pretty much feel like I can knock down anything."

Stefan tore a posterior cruciate ligament in his knee playing baseball in the spring. He was limited to only 12 minutes a game in a tournament two weeks ago, but said he's now 90-95 percent healthy. He has been contacted by Nevada, San Diego, Gonzaga and most of the Missouri Valley. The way he's been shooting the ball in Vegas, though, "Hopefully, I can maybe get a high-major offer and see how it goes from there."

Problem is, when I've seen him, he's about as good on defense as France.

Plus, when his "heat check" comes up cold it doesn't really stop him from shooting even more. Of course, that's how I played "back in the day" as well, but it didn't get me too many high DI offers either.

Top Bottom