Big Ten Network subscribers

tmiller127

Reaction score
I'm doing a case study on BTN2Go and BTN Plus for my graduate program..
If any of you use these platforms, would you mind sharing you experience and overall view of the services? As well as what sports you use them most for?

I sincerely appreciate any help from you all. Thanks!

Much better now that it's available on Roku. The streaming itself seems fine. They make it very difficult to find the game you're looking for. And the production quality/graphics are still meh.

ESPN3 on the other hand, is almost indistinguishable from watching a game on ESPN. The video quality is the same (or better). The graphics are the same. If not for the fact that you have the 15th-string announcers and they run the same 3-4 ads over and over you'd never know the difference.

I agree with pretty much all of what howeda7 said. The design and functionality of BTN2GO kinda sucks. Like he said, it can be tough to find the game you want sometimes. We have a second TV in our living room during football and basketball season (yes, my wife approves of this!) so I use BTN2GO to watch an extra game through the roku from time to time.

There are more people who post on the football forum, so I would recommend posting this on that forum as well. There are some that don't come to the basketball forum very often or ever. Good luck!

I'm doing a case study on BTN2Go and BTN Plus for my graduate program.. If any of you use these platforms, would you mind sharing you experience and overall view of the services? As well as what sports you use them most for? I sincerely appreciate any help from you all. Thanks!

MBB and occasionally FB. They work fine, and price is fair, but it's a pain in the &ss that they aren't on Apple TV and thus I have to watch on my computer. Every conference affiliated station and ESPN have an Apple TV channel, except BTN. I don't understand why they don't.

Thanks for your input and your suggestion! I will post there as well!

Men's basketball primarily, but also Gopher football and some men's hockey is what I watch on DirecTV. I love the ability to watch most of what I want, and have managed to catch Gopher hoops games on my iPad via the BTN2GO app while on the West Coast for business, which is great. I enjoy most of their studio shows and the talent they have is pretty good. Dave Revsine is a terrific host who could easily be a star on a bigger platform if he chose, and most (not all) of the former B1G athletes they have as analysts are decent to very good.

MBB and occasionally FB. They work fine, and price is fair, but it's a pain in the &ss that they aren't on Apple TV and thus I have to watch on my computer. Every conference affiliated station and ESPN have an Apple TV channel, except BTN. I don't understand why they don't.

I'm guessing you are an Apple addict, otherwise I have no idea why anyone would ever buy an Apple TV. Roku is far, far, superior. You can't even get Sling on Apple TV.

Use it for Men's basketball mainly. Biggest gripe is they need to sell it separately but that is something all the cable channels need to do. Don't like paying for all the channels i don't need. Also, they should be able to show more sports rather than multiple showings of the big ten in review or whatever they call it. Can show more volleyball, softball, baseball, etc.

We have football, men’s hockey and women’s basketball season tickets. However, I subscribe to BTN2GO largely for women’s basketball and volleyball (plus you can throw in soccer and softball). Obviously I watch all sports but my online viewing is primarily the women's sports.

The ability to replay games and sections of games is much appreciated. Yes, for women’s sports you have to adjust to the announcers or sometimes the lack of announcers. And sometimes you have to adjust to receiving the scoreboard feed for the visual which means seeing replays or NOISE! graphics while play continues. However, the video quality has consistently improved (certainly for conference games) since the early days.

Granted, the number of fans interested in watching a Wednesday night Indiana/Michigan women’s basketball game is limited; but I’m glad there is an option.

Much better now that it's available on Roku. The streaming itself seems fine. They make it very difficult to find the game you're looking for. And the production quality/graphics are still meh.

ESPN3 on the other hand, is almost indistinguishable from watching a game on ESPN. The video quality is the same (or better). The graphics are the same. If not for the fact that you have the 15th-string announcers and they run the same 3-4 ads over and over you'd never know the difference.

It's available on Roku?! Yes Finally!! When did this happen?!

I'm guessing you are an Apple addict, otherwise I have no idea why anyone would ever buy an Apple TV. Roku is far, far, superior. You can't even get Sling on Apple TV.

Yeah, I've been using versions of Apple TV long before Roku existed. There are always going to be copycat products (like the Android phones) and often the copycats eventually surpass the innovator in terms of features or popularity (ie, Windows), but the main advantage of Apple isn't just one particular product but the fact that the entire mobile device, computer and hw/sw media ecosystem is all under one umbrella. My thousands of iTunes music, movie and photo files all work seamlessly with Apple TV, the computers all synch, and when something doesn't work there's 1 company to troubleshoot, not 3 or 4 blaming each other's products.

I suppose I could also buy a Roku and connect that to an open HDMI input in my tv, but it seems redundant and it's super annoying that BTN seems to be the last holdout.

I also use Roku for it. Does anyone else find that they put up a lot of videos that are unavailable when you click them? It seems like whenever I get excited to watch a random video on there it never works.

Does anyone else have issues with Roku often cutting out with ESPN? It seems with live games the screen often goes black and shows the loading bar. If I wait 5-10 seconds it will sometimes go back, but other times I have to hit back and then go back into the channel. It's been really frustrating watching some basketball games. I've resorted to hooking up my computer instead so that I never miss any action. Also, I've mentioned this before, but Roku is essentially worthless with Slingbox (not Sling TV).

I also use Roku for it. Does anyone else find that they put up a lot of videos that are unavailable when you click them? It seems like whenever I get excited to watch a random video on there it never works.

Does anyone else have issues with Roku often cutting out with ESPN? It seems with live games the screen often goes black and shows the loading bar. If I wait 5-10 seconds it will sometimes go back, but other times I have to hit back and then go back into the channel. It's been really frustrating watching some basketball games. I've resorted to hooking up my computer instead so that I never miss any action. Also, I've mentioned this before, but Roku is essentially worthless with Slingbox (not Sling TV).

I think the ESPN app can get overloaded at times (really big sporting events) and that is why you might see the "loading" screen during the game. This doesn't seem to happen watching ESPN or ESPN2 on Sling.

I use both frequently, mostly for women's sports. For the most part I'm happy with the services. Video quality tends to be good. Sportscasters can be uneven. I'd be happier if I could stream these services on my Samsung smart tv, but BTN Network says that's not supported. I am able to stream them on my iPhone. On some women's basketball games, they show a replay of every score made by the home team while play goes on. That is really disturbing.

I think the ESPN app can get overloaded at times (really big sporting events) and that is why you might see the "loading" screen during the game. This doesn't seem to happen watching ESPN or ESPN2 on Sling.

Ah, that makes sense when I think about the times where it's happened.

Top Bottom