BIG TEN/ACC CHALLENGE

fan of Ray Williams

Reaction score
Minnesota 89 - Clemson 83 http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400809400
Wake Forest 69 - Rutgers 68 http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400809401

North Carolina 89 - Maryland 81 http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400809402
Virginia 64 - Ohio State 58 http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400809403
Purdue 72 - Pittsburgh 59 http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400809405
Miami 77 - Nebraska 72 overtime http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400809407
Michigan 66 - NC State 59 http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400809404
Northwestern 81 - Virginia Tech 79 overtime http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400809406

Louisville at Michigan State
Wisconsin at Syracuse
Penn State at Boston College
Indiana at Duke
Notre Dame at Illinois
Florida State at Iowa

Thanks for the summary thread!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Based on the results yesterday, I think the best the BIG can hope for is a tie 7-7.

This is proving to be a challenge!

I see B1G wins for MSU and Iowa, with Penn State/BC a tossup (edge to BC for home court). Syracuse is always good for underachievement and Bucky is always good for playing out of their heads, so I wouldn't be surprised if UW won. I don't see wins for Indiana or Illinois.

Gonna have to go with:

Michigan State
Cuse
Penn State
Duke
Notre Dame
Iowa

Series ends tied at 7-7.

For awhile there last night I though Nebraska and Maryland were going to win. Nebraska blew it.

Nebraska...POS state and even worse school.

Ohio State is 2-4, they did not look good at all last night

Agree...7-7 about the best we can hope for. Maryland really crapped the bed. Wisconsin is a shadow from last year. Don't see Bo pulling an upset.

Wisky doesn't stand a chance. I agree with the statement that 'Cuse is always good for being upset one or two times each season but this is not a typical Ryan Wisky team. I've watched them a few times already this season and I'm not sure they could beat a high school team most nights. Maybe they'll get better as the season progresses but they are a dumpster fire right now.

Wisky doesn't stand a chance. I agree with the statement that 'Cuse is always good for being upset one or two times each season but this is not a typical Ryan Wisky team. I've watched them a few times already this season and I'm not sure they could beat a high school team most nights. Maybe they'll get better as the season progresses but they are a dumpster fire right now.

I'm always afraid to write them off too early. I've thought this same thing before about the basketball and football teams but I usually end up being wrong. As much as many of us dislike Bo Ryan, he is a very good coach and generally finds a way to get the best out of his players.

For awhile there last night I though Nebraska and Maryland were going to win. Nebraska blew it.

I saw most of the second half of that game and thought Nebraska played out of their minds and still lost. It says a lot about Miami that they can take a punch like that in a tough place to play and still win. The Hurricanes are impressive.

By the way, I sat through four D-1 games in Anaheim on Sunday, and it looks like the inside game in college is dying. Not surprisingly, the two best teams, MSU and Providence had solid inside games. Arizona was good. All five of the others were not good. Is there just a shortage of good big men or is college ball abandoning inside play in favor of the perimeter?

One of the teams I saw was BC and they may be one of the worst power 6 teams in a while. No inside game and many open threes missed. They do have two good guards who could help them surprise someone, but other than that, the Eagles are just not a good team. Nits should beat them.

Based on the results yesterday, I think the best the BIG can hope for is a tie 7-7.

Yeah, and that tie hinges on Penn State. (!) More likely we lose it 8-6 unless Penn State pulls off the road win.

Nebraska blew a golden chance for an upset at home, and Maryland was unlucky that Paige was finally ready to come back. Had the game been played 3 or 4 days earlier, no Paige and they would've won.

I saw most of the second half of that game and thought Nebraska played out of their minds and still lost. It says a lot about Miami that they can take a punch like that in a tough place to play and still win. The Hurricanes are impressive.

By the way, I sat through four D-1 games in Anaheim on Sunday, and it looks like the inside game in college is dying. Not surprisingly, the two best teams, MSU and Providence had solid inside games. Arizona was good. All five of the others were not good. Is there just a shortage of good big men or is college ball abandoning inside play in favor of the perimeter?

One of the teams I saw was BC and they may be one of the worst power 6 teams in a while. No inside game and many open threes missed. They do have two good guards who could help them surprise someone, but other than that, the Eagles are just not a good team. Nits should beat them.

Holy Man, 219 out of all D1 teams are averaging 20 or more 3 point attempts per game this season so far. Last year only 119 averaged 20 or more 3 point attempts for the season. (Very unscientific research by me, but still....)

I'm always afraid to write them off too early. I've thought this same thing before about the basketball and football teams but I usually end up being wrong. As much as many of us dislike Bo Ryan, he is a very good coach and generally finds a way to get the best out of his players.

He is a very good coach and has gotten the best out of his rosters overs the years but this seems to be one of his poorest mixes of players. Out of his top 8 players in minutes, 5 are forwards and another is a small forward. They're only shooting .415 from the field and .304 from three point range. The Gophers corresponding numbers are .444 and .378.

Somebody should give Nigel Hayes a urine test after this game. His eyes look like two glazed doughnuts.

Holy Man, 219 out of all D1 teams are averaging 20 or more 3 point attempts per game this season so far. Last year only 119 averaged 20 or more 3 point attempts for the season. (Very unscientific research by me, but still....)

The Curry effect.

(Not really, probably more to do with statistical based analysis and a lack of skilled bigs)

Doubt The Grinch at your own risk. Conversely, believe in Boeheim and 'Cuse at your own risk. They're always good for a couple bed $hittings every season.

Michigan St and Penn St both get wins. Wisconsin is up in OT.

He is a very good coach and has gotten the best out of his rosters overs the years but this seems to be one of his poorest mixes of players. Out of his top 8 players in minutes, 5 are forwards and another is a small forward. They're only shooting .415 from the field and .304 from three point range. The Gophers corresponding numbers are .444 and .378.

They still find ways to win.

The Big Ten has clinched at least a tie up 7-4.

Damn, 'Cuse blew yet another game. Pollsters should always keep Syracuse out of the top 50 in the preseason polls and predict the Orange will finish at the bottom of the ACC rather than always placing them in the top 25 early in the season. They always $hit the bed 4 to 7 times each season. I think being an Orange fan would be worse than being a Gopher fan because rarely are the Gophers predicted to make much noise only to end up blowing it unlike the Orange who go through it every single season.

Only caught about 10 minutes of the Wisconsin-Syracuse game, but sure did like Jim Calhoun doing the color.
(At least I thought it was Calhoun.)

Pollsters should always keep Syracuse out of the top 50 in the preseason polls and predict the Orange will finish at the bottom of the ACC rather than always placing them in the top 25 early in the season.

They weren't even in the others receiving votes preseason. They got into the top 15 by beating two ranked teams on a neutral floor.

I wonder how many teams on average start the year ranked only to finish unranked at the end of the season. Anyone know? The sports media hypes these early season match-ups before we really know how good any of these teams really are. Usually a lot of name recognition and recruiting hype.

Anyone thinking Wisconsin will ever finish in the bottom tier of the Big Ten under Bo Ryan is doing some serious wishful thinking.

Top Bottom