Post Game Pitino - Murphy is either high-motor Murph, or low-motor Murph...

GopherLady

Reaction score
Tonight he was high-motor Murph.

Here are my notes, not verbatim, as always...just catching what I can after this solid Gophers win!

Richard Pitino:
• Showed a lot of heart. Murph is the standout statistically, but I thought Kevin Dorsey came in and really changed the game. That was a very good win. That was a character win, I'm proud of those guys.
• Will you put more trust in Dorsey? After tonight I will. He has kind of an erratic game, but is so fast and made some big plays.
• Pitino on Jordan Murphy: He's either low-motor Murph or high-motor Murph, tonight it was high-motor Murph. I think I'm getting to him, he played really hard tonight. He had moments where he's great, and then he floats a little bit. Tonight, he was the best player on the court. I said if I was at FIU, I'd do a lot of inappropriate things, but here's there's a lot of cameras. I was calling him a Volvo yesterday in practice, and I want him to be a Dodge Ram. There were some plays he just made happen by heart, will and determination. He had impressive tip-ins. He's a natural rebounder.
He's a really unique kid, I thought he could be one of the "face of the program" type guys. He makes it really easy. He's got no ego, all he cares about is winning, he doesn't care where he plays. He had a couple of moves, you see it. It's more me trying to get to him, he plays pretty hard, he's not a lazy kid at all.
• I think we did a really good job or rotating to the help.
• On Buggs not starting - he didn't participate in shoot around because his leg hurt. It wasn't really a big deal. It's kind of that thing from last year, he's limping around, but I told him to relax. He was good. He's got so much potential, just put it together. He's a different kid, he's smart, he's a thinker, sometimes when adversity happens on the court, responding and getting through it. He's got big time potential, I wouldn't say he doesn't love the game, he just doesn't know how good he can be.
• We're going inside a lot better.
• He's a really unique kid, I thought he could be one of the "face of the program" type guys. He makes it really easy. He's got no ego, all he cares is winning, he doesn't care where he plays. He had a couple of moves, you see it. It's more me trying to get to him, he plays pretty hard, he's not a lazy kid at all.
• Joey and Murphy - these two guys won the game. Play really well together.

Thanks GL. The frosh trio totally turned the tide tonight. I was impressed with Pitino hanging in there with them. That took some guts. That said, I was glad to see Mason come in toward the end.

Thanks Gopher Lady. That was a fun one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are all very welcome. It was a fun game to be at and cover, I felt a little more hopeful after seeing the team tonight.

"On Buggs not starting - he didn't participate in shoot around because his leg hurt. It wasn't really a big deal. It's kind of that thing from last year, he's limping around, but I told him to relax. He was good. He's got so much potential, just put it together. He's a different kid, he's smart, he's a thinker, sometimes when adversity happens on the court, responding and getting through it. He's got big time potential, I wouldn't say he doesn't love the game, he just doesn't know how good he can be."

I was disappointed to read this. I thought Buggs had a pretty damn solid game and this is what he had to say of him? I think he's made a pretty drastic jump this year and still has potential to improve a good amount, he's up there for being our most efficient offensive player who rarely hurts the offense (rarely a ball-stopper, few TOs), and he's really made quite a few defensive plays that have jumped out. I'm genuinely confused by how little praise he's gotten this year on here, from the media, and from Pitino. I haven't really watched his defense closely this year--can someone comment on it with specifics? I feel like that must be part of the reason for his lack of positive attention.

"On Buggs not starting - he didn't participate in shoot around because his leg hurt. It wasn't really a big deal. It's kind of that thing from last year, he's limping around, but I told him to relax. He was good. He's got so much potential, just put it together. He's a different kid, he's smart, he's a thinker, sometimes when adversity happens on the court, responding and getting through it. He's got big time potential, I wouldn't say he doesn't love the game, he just doesn't know how good he can be."

I was disappointed to read this. I thought Buggs had a pretty damn solid game and this is what he had to say of him? I think he's made a pretty drastic jump this year and still has potential to improve a good amount, he's up there for being our most efficient offensive player who rarely hurts the offense (rarely a ball-stopper, few TOs), and he's really made quite a few defensive plays that have jumped out. I'm genuinely confused by how little praise he's gotten this year on here, from the media, and from Pitino. I haven't really watched his defense closely this year--can someone comment on it with specifics? I feel like that must be part of the reason for his lack of positive attention.
I'm not sure I've read a single negative thing about Buggs on GH yet this season. So I'm not sure what you are talking about. I think everyone here acknowledges the huge strides he's taken and how exciting his game has become.

I think Pitino is trying to tell Buggs that how he played yesterday should be the base level he has and he should be able to put up some amazing take-over-the-game type performances.

I think Pitino is trying to tell Buggs that how he played yesterday should be the base level he has and he should be able to put up some amazing take-over-the-game type performances.

I agree. I think Pitino expects a lot more out of Buggs and he plans to get it out of him.

Mark my words: Buggs will play in the NBA! Like Pitino says, he doesn't know how good he really is.... He I

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark my words: Buggs will play in the NBA!
Your word have been marked.
I'm a skeptic on those words. Many a good/great college player has been passed by the NBA. My first impression is that Buggs will always be too soft for the NBA. But, I hope you're right because it means special things for the Gophers.

Buggs is certainly athletic enough, skilled enough and has the size (he has put on a bunch of muscle this season, he look sooo much different than when he was a freshman and even last year, I still think he has room in that frame too) to play in the NBA. But so do a lot of people. What he lacks is motor and bball IQ. I watch him play and I think he could be the best mens league player in the history of mens league.

I'm more bullish on Buggs than I've ever been, we will see what Pitino can get out of him, it's certainly worth the effort as he would be just a huge key. I don't anticipate him to ever "take over a game" as someone else posted, it's just not his personality, and thats tough to change.

Buggs is certainly athletic enough, skilled enough and has the size (he has put on a bunch of muscle this season, he look sooo much different than when he was a freshman and even last year, I still think he has room in that frame too) to play in the NBA. But so do a lot of people. What he lacks is motor and bball IQ. I watch him play and I think he could be the best mens league player in the history of mens league.

I'm more bullish on Buggs than I've ever been, we will see what Pitino can get out of him, it's certainly worth the effort as he would be just a huge key. I don't anticipate him to ever "take over a game" as someone else posted, it's just not his personality, and thats tough to change.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Buggs single handily gets us a win this year, much less next. All it would take is for him to get hot from deep and roll that confidence into attacking the rim. When he's on, he's very difficult to stop. He's also shown a propensity to be a lot more aggressive than year's past.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Buggs single handily gets us a win this year, much less next. All it would take is for him to get hot from deep and roll that confidence into attacking the rim. When he's on, he's very difficult to stop. He's also shown a propensity to be a lot more aggressive than year's past.

What you just described, to me, isn't taking over a game. But rather than split hairs, lets just hope it happens and again, I'll be happy if you tell me I'm wrong.

Buggs had a good game last night, but a good game for him still has its head-srcatching moments! He's very entertaining! I'm glad to see him more aggressive, and thats going to lead to more head scratching mistakes and we're all going to have to learn to chuckle at them. There's no point in saying things like, "There's no excuse for these kind of mistakes at this level".
Bugs lives in a different reality, and I do enjoy it!

I'm not going to say that Buggs will play in the NBA, but I will say this: If I were an NBA scout, he's the player on this team I'd be looking most closely at.

Buggs.

At 6-9 220lbs with an incredible reach. I wonder if he has a 7-4 wingspan like Durant? Anyways if bugs can get to 230lbs and get much tougher and consistent its a possibility. His best hope is as a stretch 4 with occasional time at the 3. He needs to drive more also.

I'm not going to say that Buggs will play in the NBA, but I will say this: If I were an NBA scout, he's the player on this team I'd be looking most closely at.

Buggs' upside is very high, he just needs to play with confidence and be very aggressive. He has improved way more than any of us thought was possible. If Pitino can just flip the switch, watch out.

It sure would have been nice to see what Pitino could have done with Rodney.

Agreed. He said he was good last night. He said something else interesting: that Buggs may think a bit too much rather than just reacting to the situation. I once heard a very good NBA player describe "playing hard" as "playing without thinking about it."

I wouldn't say that I recall Murphy playing with a "low motor" this year. I would just say that he was turbocharged against Clemson.

Buggs already looks 10 times more confident than he did last year when he typically only shot if wide open. If he gets another jolt of confidence its not out of the question that he could blossom. He doesn't have a great handle but a guy his size and that athletic doesn't need a great handle when teams have to respect his J. We saw he can basically get to the rim off of 1 dribble. If he ever adds any type of mid range 1 on 1 game he could be great.

Buggs has come a very, very long way. If anything, I think that Pitino should have given him more of a chance last year. His biggest deficit is his tendency to drift a little bit, but there is less of that happening than previously. When he is active and engaged, he is a legit B1G player who can be trusted. He might make some decent money overseas when he is done here, a prediction that almost nobody would have made two years ago.

Buggs has come a very, very long way. If anything, I think that Pitino should have given him more of a chance last year. His biggest deficit is his tendency to drift a little bit, but there is less of that happening than previously. When he is active and engaged, he is a legit B1G player who can be trusted. He might make some decent money overseas when he is done here, a prediction that almost nobody would have made two years ago.

Two years ago there were people who wanted him run off so we could use the scholarship for someone else.

Buggs' development reminds me of what we witnessed with Damian Johnson although Charlie is more athletic.

He doesn't drift a little bit, he can full on disappear for stretches. Also he can just completely lack confidence and look so unsure of himself it reminds me of watching middle school ball when he drops his head. Even when he hits shots he sometimes looks kind of unsure of himself like a kid that's just learning how to play. But when he's engaged he can be a force

He doesn't drift a little bit, he can full on disappear for stretches. Also he can just completely lack confidence and look so unsure of himself it reminds me of watching middle school ball when he drops his head. Even when he hits shots he sometimes looks kind of unsure of himself like a kid that's just learning how to play. But when he's engaged he can be a force
You are describing his game last year, he's been fully engaged this season.

I believe the indecisiveness has to do with him trying to learn Pitino's schemes. Also Pitino has asked him in games to do a lot of different roles.

It can be difficult for any player to take that on without significant playing time. Remember he's just now getting significant minutes and his role is solidifying. With that solidification will come further developed confidence and he won't have to be consciously making decisions on the court.

There is more improvement to come. I have no doubt in my mind.

Top Bottom