Is Pitino ready/able to be THE face of the athletic department?

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
The person who is the face of the athletic department has shifted back and forth from the football coach to the basketball coach and so on. This is the person that is often the one leading the drive for facilities, or the one seen as the leader of the athletic department, behind the AD, although in some instances this person has been more powerful than the AD. It started with Clem. When he was gone, Mason stepped forward. Then Tubby had that role, when he left Kill really stepped up big time. Now Claeys is in the role and he seems more laid-back than Kill and probably more focused on getting football program up and going again. Pitino has the charisma, but is he ready for the role? It sure would help if he won more to naturally take over this role.

The person who is the face of the athletic department has shifted back and forth from the football coach to the basketball coach and so on. This is the person that is often the one leading the drive for facilities, or the one seen as the leader of the athletic department, behind the AD, although in some instances this person has been more powerful than the AD. It started with Clem. When he was gone, Mason stepped forward. Then Tubby had that role, when he left Kill really stepped up big time. Now Claeys is in the role and he seems more laid-back than Kill and probably more focused on getting football program up and going again. Pitino has the charisma, but is he ready for the role? It sure would help if he won more to naturally take over this role.

Until we officially hire a new AD, yes. As for the bolded part, sometimes you need to give someone a chance and they can sink or swim. On the flip side, who is the face of athletics at a school like Michigan State? Dantonio or Izzo? and is the Grinch really still the face of the program in madison or is (I don't remember their football coaches name) really the face now that Ryan is retiring? and lastly does it really even matter?

Pitino has to worry about coaching well enough to keep his job.

This is the face of Minnesota Athletics

bags.jpg

This is the face of Minnesota Athletics

bags.jpg

Unfortunately, this about sums it up. Last year at this time things looked on the way up surrounding our 3 money-makers, football, men's buckets, and men's puck. Now a year later, not so much. What a difference a year makes.

Interesting Question El Amin Fan

Unfortunately, this about sums it up. Last year at this time things looked on the way up surrounding our 3 money-makers, football, men's buckets, and men's puck. Now a year later, not so much. What a difference a year makes.

But I think the answer is we may not have one for awhile. Dpo is definitely right...Pitino has to win some games pretty soon...and it seems unlikely it'll be this year. Claeys, needs to have a decent year next year or he's likely gone, would be my guess.

When you're a BIG school & volleyball and softball are your top sports, that says it all about football & hoops.

Coach Robinson has done very well with the wrestling team but it doesn't get any recognition. Pitino has the name, charisma and youth to be a real asset! But I agree, he needs some wins. This season is about development, but just a couple of big upsets would definitely validate his standing. Or a mini run in the B1G tourney!

No he is not ready and able. I would not be surprised to see him gone in two more years. I doubt he'll go far enough into the NCAA tournament if he goes at all and the new AD will want to clean house. We have to admit that Teague made a mistake in hiring Richard Pitino and that hiring Teague was a mistake.

No he is not ready and able. I would not be surprised to see him gone in two more years. I doubt he'll go far enough into the NCAA tournament if he goes at all and the new AD will want to clean house. We have to admit that Teague made a mistake in hiring Richard Pitino and that hiring Teague was a mistake.

On Pitino...no we don't.

How about we wait until we get there to admit anything? I think we'll get a good idea of the direction of the program next season.

Top Bottom