Brewster's Media Day news conf. recap

Doogie

Reaction score
--"Amazing stadium, will have a true homefield advantage...has exceeded expectations"

--"We have a good football team, a veteran group, a talented group"

--showers Weber and Decker with praise...."Not a better receiver in the country"

--"Defensively, we are in good shape"...loves up the middle with Small, Brown, and Campbell

--"The schedule is extremely challenging, but that is to my liking"

--on new coaches: "(Davis and Cosgrove) are proven coaches. We wanted to get more physical up front."

--talks about pouring a lot of time into the Syracuse game already

--on Hayo: "He's on campus and in school. He's very dynamic. Speed, hands, toughness, he will add a dimension that will help our passing game."

--talks about being able to work the middle of the field with Tow-Arnett, which will open things up on the outside for Hayo...adds a dimension they've lacked -- pure speed

--When he talks to recruits, they ask him all the time about the non-conference schedule...when he brings up USC, recruits are excited

--on right side of O-Line: Wills - very large, came in at 412 lbs, now is down to 342 lbs, has worked very hard....Carufel - athleticism, heck of a player
"We will be a much improved O-Line."

--talking about using the elements of the outdoors to their advantage --- hopes to have some cold days, maybe even snowy days...adds, it's just as cold in Ann Arbor and Chicago though...that take a bit overrated

--haven't changed much on defensive side - verbiage even the same in some areas - kids have embraced the change...Weber great in leadership role this offseason in captains gatherings (transitioned to off. side)

--on Ill. and Wis. having games in Dec. -- as a conf. we did not have success in the bowl games, so as a conf. we are looking at ways to help everyone, so playing in Dec. helps...discussing a conf. champ. game, it has come up with Delaney

my bad, dogs jumping on me...easier transition on def. vs. off...verbiage the same in many areas on defense...heard wrong initially

thanks doogie. did he mention anything about special teams and/or our kicking game?

He did not...all the questions are very basic...the inner team stuff, the stuff we crave, rarely comes from a massive gathering like that.

I'm exceited to see Tow-Arnett. Nobody outside MN is expecting a thing from him or probably even knows who is he is, but like Brewster said, he could have a nice year with all the attention going to Decker and Hayo.

it's been touched on before, but good lord Wills has put in some work. 412 to 342? Impressive, and hopefully it pays off for him. I'm starting to feel better about our offense with news like this. Hard work and determination in the summer can pay off huge as the season wears on.

same thoughts

it's been touched on before, but good lord Wills has put in some work. 412 to 342? Impressive, and hopefully it pays off for him. I'm starting to feel better about our offense with news like this. Hard work and determination in the summer can pay off huge as the season wears on.

I read 412 and my eyes popped open. thats a 70 lb loss in months, holy crap! My hat goes off to the man that can dedicate himself to that, he has the passion and work ethic of the type of player I want the Gophers to have.

I read 412 and my eyes popped open. thats a 70 lb loss in months, holy crap! My hat goes off to the man that can dedicate himself to that, he has the passion and work ethic of the type of player I want the Gophers to have.

I'm just happy for the kid on a personal health level. I can only imagine the toll being that big was taking on his body (though 342 still brings plenty of joint issues, etc with it).

I read a really interesting article in SI the other month about this. It talked about the troubles that linemen have with health and body image once they graduate, specifically if they don't make it to the league. I certainly hope that Wills gets a chance to play in the NFL but if he doesn't I hope that the past few months give him the willpower to go farther with his weight loss.

I'm exceited to see Tow-Arnett. Nobody outside MN is expecting a thing from him or probably even knows who is he is, but like Brewster said, he could have a nice year with all the attention going to Decker and Hayo.

Every time a big catch was made by TE last year, his name was on the back of the jersey. I hope he is able to continue that success.

I was listening to Madison local sports radio on the way home from work today. They had a person reporting from Chicago. They asked him which coach was the most interesting and media savvy. The Madison reporter said it was easily Brewster. They said he came across as the most excited and had the most interesting stuff to say like, the BigTen should have 12 teams, stuff about USC, and the new stadium. I was pretty surprised to hear them choose Brewster, would have thought they'd go with Beilema because local radio is usually nothing but homers.

Top Bottom