grunkiejr

Mentor to 007
Reaction score
1. Ohio State
2. Penn State
3. Michigan State

OPOY: Terrelle Pryor (OSU)
DPOY: Greg Jones (MSU)

It seems like an awful lot of credit for a QB that led the #105 ranked passing offense in the country but the media loves TP.

Good Point...

but he doesn't run with his arms.

I think the Big Ten will be as wide open as ever. I really think 4-5 teams have a legit chance to win the conference.

In addition to Pryor improving his passing skills, he also needs to throw to someone. Who are OSU's receivers?? Even if he does improve his passing, it might not matter if their receivers don't emerge. It's not out of the question that he could end up having a fantastic year, but that pick is a stretch.

1. Ohio State
2. Penn State
3. Michigan State

OPOY: Terrelle Pryor (OSU)
DPOY: Greg Jones (MSU)

It seems like an awful lot of credit for a QB that led the #105 ranked passing offense in the country but the media loves TP.

Greg Jones originally committed to Minnesota in the fall of 2006 to Glen Mason & the gophers. I think I'm going to be sick.

Greg Jones originally committed to Minnesota in the fall of 2006 to Glen Mason & the gophers. I think I'm going to be sick.

Why? He committed to a different school years ago...time to move on.

Some interesting media picks

As Cduff pointed out, T pryor is losing most of his skill position players. If anything this year will challenge Pryor as a passer much more than last year. Is he ready to emerge as a leader of the Buckeye's with all of the new faces? We will see what kind of decision maker he this year.

Michigan St being picked as #3 follows along the media's offseason love affair with Mark Dantonio. I like Dantonio as a coach but Illinois and Iowa seem better poised to jump up and claim a top spot in the bigten. I think there is very real chance that Mich St. starts out 1-2 or 0-3 in bigten play. They open @ Wis, Mich, @ Illinois.

As Cduff pointed out, T pryor is losing most of his skill position players. If anything this year will challenge Pryor as a passer much more than last year. Is he ready to emerge as a leader of the Buckeye's with all of the new faces? We will see what kind of decision maker he this year.

Michigan St being picked as #3 follows along the media's offseason love affair with Mark Dantonio. I like Dantonio as a coach but Illinois and Iowa seem better poised to jump up and claim a top spot in the bigten. I think there is very real chance that Mich St. starts out 1-2 or 0-3 in bigten play. They open @ Wis, Mich, @ Illinois.

I agree on Sparty. Much as I dislike Iowa, I think they have to be considered a Top 3 squad. Ferentz always seems to have a strong defense and offensive line. They usually find a good back and they return a good QB in Stanzi who seems like Drew Tate without the mental condition in the way he manages a game. MSU loses too much with Hoyer and Ringer gone. Give D'Antonio a year or two and MSU will be what UW used to be in the 90's.

1. Penn State
2. Iowa :mad:
3. tOSU

In addition to Pryor improving his passing skills, he also needs to throw to someone. Who are OSU's receivers?? Even if he does improve his passing, it might not matter if their receivers don't emerge. It's not out of the question that he could end up having a fantastic year, but that pick is a stretch.

The OSU receivers will be considered top 5 in the conference for talent at the end of the year. Ray Small is a playmaker that was their primary return man while buying time behind Hartline & Robiskie. Sanzenbacher is a capable possession reciever. And the player that has a real chance to break out is Devier (sp?) Posey--a 5* freshman last year. Add to that Duron Carter (Cris Carter's son) as an incoming freshman and you can see why Ohio State just reloads while other teams rebuild.

The depth of their talent is sick which is why I don't have a problem with them being picked #1 in the conference despite their losses to the NFL this past year.

I don't agree with TP being picked as the OPOY though. Ohio State had the #105 ranked passing offense last year. In my mind no QB that is one year off the #105 ranked passing offense deserves to be the preseason OPOY selection unless he is running an option offense (think Tommy Frazier at Nebraska).

I agree on Sparty. Much as I dislike Iowa, I think they have to be considered a Top 3 squad. Ferentz always seems to have a strong defense and offensive line. They usually find a good back and they return a good QB in Stanzi who seems like Drew Tate without the mental condition in the way he manages a game. MSU loses too much with Hoyer and Ringer gone. Give D'Antonio a year or two and MSU will be what UW used to be in the 90's.

1. Penn State
2. Iowa :mad:
3. tOSU

What's with this love fest with Iowa this year? They had a nice run at the end of the year and handed us our butts as we laid down and died while they ran up the score at will, but doesn't anyone think their lack of recruiting is going to catch up to them soon? Their win against PSU was more luck (the weather and awful PSU play) than anything else, and that win propelled them emotionally through the rest of the year. Could that emotion keep carrying? I suppose, but this is Iowa with a bunch of 3 and 2* athletes, not Ohio State...as Mason found out, winning with those kinds of athletes comes and goes.

Where's the PSU Love?

I think Evan Royster will be named OPY by years end. He averaged over 6 yards a carry last year as a Soph. Not to mention that Clark will garner much more attention this year. PSU is not going to sneak up on anyone this year...

What's with this love fest with Iowa this year? They had a nice run at the end of the year and handed us our butts as we laid down and died while they ran up the score at will, but doesn't anyone think their lack of recruiting is going to catch up to them soon? Their win against PSU was more luck (the weather and awful PSU play) than anything else, and that win propelled them emotionally through the rest of the year. Could that emotion keep carrying? I suppose, but this is Iowa with a bunch of 3 and 2* athletes, not Ohio State...as Mason found out, winning with those kinds of athletes comes and goes.

For me, it's that a good chunk of their OL two-deeps is back (I believe it's 8 of 10 return, but not sure, I'm sure MplsHawk can correct me if I'm wrong). With most of their beef back, I think replacing Greene isn't as difficult as it's perceived. Where they're hurt is up the middle defensively. But they're going to be stout in the secondary, return a QB who's not bad, and with their OL, I see why there's love.

Along the same lines, that's why I think Penn State isn't going to be as good as most people think because of the losses on their OL. Add the fact their WR's are new as well and I think Clark & Royster aren't going to have as good of seasons as most people think.

I seriously think every spot in the conference is up for grabs, even #1. Every team has a serious question mark that needs to be addressed, Ohio State included.

I think the OPOY could very well be Decker. With Weber a long-shot. And that is not my homer stance. Prior is a freak but has inexperienced Wr's and an inaccurate arm. Royster will be shadowed all game with no Wr's (I believe) to keep the Defense focused on the passing game, they will be a running team with him and Clark. Much Like the Vikings with no WR to keep defenses not focusing on AD, but of course AD is good enough to keep producing, and AD>Royster.
SO I think it is realistic to see Decker have a legitimate chance, with Hayo Stretching the field, B.Green and T.Stoudemire(sp) developing as offensive threats it leaves more openings for Decker.

Top Bottom