PiPress; Can Pitino light a fire under freshman Jordan Murphy?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus' blog before today's game:

Gophers freshman Jordan Murphy has nickname given to him by coach Richard Pitino, which probably is something he doesn’t want to stick. Pitino calls him “low-motor Murph.” murphyspain

The talented 6-foot-6 Murphy has flashes of being a formidable post presence, but it usually takes him awhile to get going. A good example was during Sunday’s 81-68 loss against Texas Tech in Puerto Rico. He was mostly a non-factor, but there was one play in the second half where Murphy just grabbed the ball under the basket and dunked on a couple defenders.

Everybody was like “Whoa, where did that come from?”

“He was like that in AAU, where he would float around a little bit and then all of a sudden just explode and do a monster dunk,” Pitino said. “You see it in our games. I always get on him. I call him ‘low motor Murph.’ We keep saying, ‘you got to be high-motor Murph.’ I think once he gets that he’s going to be a force.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...no-light-a-fire-under-freshman-jordan-murphy/

Go Gophers!!

Pitino may have started a little forest fire under Murphy.

This is the first Gopher game this year I've been able to watch, and I just saw this quote about being "low-motor murph" and wondered if we had a different Murphy on the team. How many put-backs and offensive boards has he had following a miss this game? Really excited to see what kind of career he'll have.

Why is Mason not on the court this half

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Looks like the fire has been ignited.

He is a bit slower on the defensive end getting a hand up on the perimeter, and his defensive rebounding could use a dose of effort.

It's tought to find fault in his game, very similar to a similarly sized player from a similaraly located school to our East.

Murphy gets up for rebounds really quickly, including on his second jump. Twice today he missed short jumpers in the lane and then beat the defenders to the rebound for put back attempts.

He is a bit slower on the defensive end getting a hand up on the perimeter, and his defensive rebounding could use a dose of effort.

It's tought to find fault in his game, very similar to a similarly sized player from a similaraly located school to our East.

My thoughts exactly.

Top Bottom