The Vault or The Bank??

Reaction score
Alright everyone, sorry if this has been posted already I'm new and haven't checked a lot of the previous threads, but this has been bugging me for a while:

Should the TCF Stadium nickname be The Bank or The Vault??

Personally I kinda like the Bank but what do yall think? And how do we make the nickname universally known?

I like the sound of that. And sorry if I didn't give all the options I've just heard these two kinda thrown around. Any others I forgot/didn't mention?

no worries! you are correct that those are the two that have been tossed around the most in regards to coming up with a nickname that goes along with the tcf sponsorship theme. i was just interjecting that i will continue refering to the on-campus gopher football house as "the brickhouse". :)

Neither

It sounds like a lot of people have been calling it the Bank. Both are horrible and unimaginative if you ask me. The new brickhouse or the Gopher Stadium works for me.

I usually just say, "The Stadium". People usually know what I'm talking about.

I am not set on what i feel is the best nickname, but i feel that what will happen is that 'the bank' is the one that will stick.

which, i suppose is fine.

'the vault' can be the student section. it is, after all, where the gold will be. Also, it should be the hardest place for opposing fans to get into.

Neither.

I have been using TCF but if I was to make the final decision I would name it the "Hole", the home of a gopher.

The Gopher football players have been calling it "the Bank" for the last year.

I'm pretty "meh" about both but am realistic that one of them will stick. It could be worse...Louisville's Papa Johns Stadium is known as The Oven.

I'm pretty "meh" about both but am realistic that one of them will stick. It could be worse...Louisville's Papa Johns Stadium is known as The Oven.

Hmmm, TCF . . . how about the 'Bailout'? they could cover the field with the TARP tarp.

The nickname should be "The Brickhouse", "The Brick", "Gophers Stadium" or another nickname that relates to: 1) the history of the U or Gopher football, 2) a significant architectural feature of the new stadium; or 3) a significant feature of the surrounding neighborhood. Any nickname that relates to the corporate sponsor of Gophers Stadium should never be used by any true Gopher football fan.

I'll just call it the stadium. Brickhouse is cool too.

If Hormel had bought the naming rights, it could have been the Slaughterhouse. :p

Really, I doubt any nickname will ever stick. We're not very good with nicknames around here. This is the city where, after a half-decade, nearly every local still refers to our metro passenger train as "Light Rail".

Really, I doubt any nickname will ever stick. We're not very good with nicknames around here. This is the city where, after a half-decade, nearly every local still refers to our metro passenger train as "Light Rail".

If one of them doesn't stick then it'll probably just get called TCF by most folks (honestly that's what I'll probably go with as its what I call it now).

On one hand, I hope we don't get so down on the actual name of the stadium that we forget the fact TCF BANK should get some love for stepping up and PAYING for the naming rights. I do really appreciate it and I don't want to minimize their contribution. They earned the right to name the stadium.

On the other hand, corporate naming rights are contractual and can change (contract runs out and someone else buys the name, TCF gets sold, TCF turns into Enron, etc. etc.). Someday, calling it "the Bank" might seem odd if it is renamed 3M stadium. With that in mind, along with the added brick to the interior wall... I agree the "Brickhouse, or "new Brickhouse" seems to fit it very well. I'll go with that.

Someday, calling it "the Bank" might seem odd if it is renamed 3M stadium. With that in mind, along with the added brick to the interior wall... I agree the "Brickhouse, or "new Brickhouse" seems to fit it very well. I'll go with that.

I like the New Brickhouse. But "The Bank" could have double-meaning preventing it from being totally obsolete in the future. Minnesota's gameday color is gold, afterall. This is also why "The Vault" would make sense for the student section.

I predict dual-fans and non-fans in the area are going to call it "The New Gophers Stadium" for 3 years, and then call it "The Gophers Stadium".

I've been referring to it as the New Brickhouse ever since the place started taking shape. TCF may well have paid the freight on the name, but it doesn't change the fact that they're nothing but a glorified check cashing parlor.

And the Metrodome's nickname is the Dump. Big Inflatable Toilet is also appropriate.

Hopefully we will see "Brickhouse" used in print or electronic media a time or two by Gopher staff or players and that will go a long way toward getting it accepted as THEEE nickname.

I always thought nicknames evolved over time.

... Apparently we can pick our new stadium's nickname before any of us have even seen it (kind of like yuppie parents do with their kids) and it appears our choices are "the Vault" or "The Bank". Some have suggested that we resurrect the old Memorial Stadium nickname "the Brickhouse".

When did the barn become "the Barn"? I may be wrong but I don't think it happened back in 1929, it evolved.

For now, to me, it will be Bank Stadium and the nickname will come along naturally. When The U re-sells the naming rights to TCF Bank Stadium to Medtronic, after TCF merges with Citi Corp "the Vault", cute as the nickname would be, will be sort of silly.

This is the city where, after a half-decade, nearly every local still refers to our metro passenger train as "Light Rail".

As opposed to what? That is what it is, so what else are we supposed to call it?

the hiawatha line. that is its name after all.

Fair enough. But I think his point is that complaining about folks referring to a light rail line as a light rail line is pretty silly.

It's like getting on someone for referring to Cub Foods as a grocery store instead of Cub Foods. Or for calling the Mall of America a shopping mall or a mega mall instead of the Mall of America.

the hiawatha line. that is its name after all.

... and there in lies the problem. funny how Bay Area Rapid Transit just happens to turn into a nice acronym. blame metro transit for not pushing the public along. how many people actually know that the train is route 55? not many. (not that we should be calling it that)

i can only imagine what is going to happen when the central corridor opens and all hell breaks loose. here's an idea: color code the lines. seems to work in chicago, la, and dc. maybe a green line to spend money at the mall and a red line to ride to visit T-paw in st. paul.

oh and while we're at it we might as well number our airport terminals.

Hopefully we will see "Brickhouse" used in print or electronic media a time or two by Gopher staff or players and that will go a long way toward getting it accepted as THEEE nickname.

I was going to protest that there are a lot of brick-wrapped stadiums, but then I let maps.live.com and its bird's eye views take me on a tour of all the Big Ten stadiums. To my surprise, much of the exterior brick has been lost, or at least disrupted, in recent expansions and renovations, even of Purdue's Ross-Ade Stadium. Iowa's Kinnick Stadium and Illinois' Memorial Stadium retain the brick structure, but only on the sideline seating, not the end zones. That appears to leave TCF Bank stadium as the only one with an uninterrupted brick facade wrapping around the entire horseshoe. Not to argue that that alone makes it a superior facility, but it offers a unique appearance, worthy of the "Brickhouse" moniker, if people are so inclined.

I vote for the Brickhouse. Bank or Vault won't make much sense in 25 years when Target buys the naming rights.

Top Bottom