Gophers Predictons - Here how i see the season going

gophersfan

Reaction score
here is my predictions.

now call me crazy for making this prediction and i know i will be call crazy.

Sept. 5 at Syracuse - Win

Sept. 12 Air Force - Win

Sept. 19 California - Win

Sept. 26 at Northwestern - Win

Oct. 3 Wisconsin - Win

Oct. 10 Purdue - Win

Oct. 17 at Penn State - Win (Penn State overrated)

Oct. 24 at Ohio State - Loss

Oct. 31 Michigan State - Win

Nov. 7 Illinois - Loss

Nov. 14 South Dakota St. - Win

Nov. 21 at Iowa - Loss

i seeing 9-3.

so what you all think.

Sorry man, even though I'm a HUGE gopher fan as almost everyone on here, I just can't get over the team going into Happy Valley and winning. I agree, PSU may be overrated but that place is insane. Idk maybe I'm wrong, but I'll be at the scrimmage and I hope that that'll give me a better read on how the season pans out.

So far my take:

We go 8-4, but instead beat Illinois, and upset either Cal or MSU. We lose to OSU (which disheartens me to type), PSU, Cal/MSU, and Iowa, and hope we don't have another blunder against NU

Sorry man, even though I'm a HUGE gopher fan as almost everyone on here, I just can't get over the team going into Happy Valley and winning. I agree, PSU may be overrated but that place is insane. Idk maybe I'm wrong, but I'll be at the scrimmage and I hope that that'll give me a better read on how the season pans out.

So far my take:

We go 8-4, but instead beat Illinois, and upset either Cal or MSU. We lose to OSU (which disheartens me to type), PSU, Cal/MSU, and Iowa, and hope we don't have another blunder against NU

This is closer to my best case scenario. If we go 9-3, my gut is that we would do it while beating both Cal/MSU and losing our 3 toughest road games (OSU, PSU, Iowa).

I think realistically 8-4 is probably where we'll end up.

6-6 on the low end and 9-3 on the high end with 7-5 being the most likely record (in my opinion). If we go 7-5 with the schedule we have I would consider that an improvement over last year. Should be a very interesting season.

As much I would love to see our beloved Gophers win 9 games this year...I just can't see it considering our schedule. I still think next year is our break out year and hopefully beyond as Brewster builds depth and adds talent. I predict 6-6:

Sept. 5 at Syracuse - Loss

Sept. 12 Air Force - Win

Sept. 19 California - Loss

Oct. 3 Wisconsin - Win

Oct. 10 Purdue - Win

Oct. 17 at Penn State - Loss

Nov. 7 Illinois - Loss (Potential to go 7-5 by winning here)

Nov. 21 at Iowa - Loss

As much I would love to see our beloved Gophers win 9 games this year...I just can't see it considering our schedule. I still think next year is our break out year and hopefully beyond as Brewster builds depth and adds talent. I predict 6-6:

Sept. 5 at Syracuse - Loss

Sept. 12 Air Force - Win

Sept. 19 California - Loss

Oct. 3 Wisconsin - Win

Oct. 10 Purdue - Win

Oct. 17 at Penn State - Loss

Nov. 7 Illinois - Loss (Potential to go 7-5 by winning here)

Nov. 21 at Iowa - Loss

I'm betting on better, but I can still see 6-6 as possible. But I'd have to disagree with beating MSU while losing to Syracuse.

I still think next year is our break out year and hopefully beyond as Brewster builds depth and adds talent.

Alright I've seen this on a few other posts and I was just wondering the reason a lot if people are saying this? I mean after this year we lose a whole hell of a lot of seniors, including Decker (which I'm not saying he's the whole team and I think whoever replaces him will be fine, but he is kinda the heart and leader of the team right now), do you guys think our incoming classes will be able to fill the gaps enough or what? I think this schedule may weigh us down a bit but this is by far Brews best team he's had. If we can manage a few big upsets, we'd be getting a lot of attention. I say our year needs to be this one. Go Gophers!!!

@ Syracuse- W

vs. Air Force- W

vs. Cal- L

@ Northwestern- W

vs. Wisconsin- W

vs. Purdue- W

@ Penn State- L

@ Ohio State- L

vs. Michigan State- W

vs. Illinois- L

vs. South Dakota State- W

@ Iowa- L

7-5 (4-4), another trip to the Insight Bowl

Alright I've seen this on a few other posts and I was just wondering the reason a lot if people are saying this? I mean after this year we lose a whole hell of a lot of seniors, including Decker (which I'm not saying he's the whole team and I think whoever replaces him will be fine, but he is kinda the heart and leader of the team right now), do you guys think our incoming classes will be able to fill the gaps enough or what? I think this schedule may weigh us down a bit but this is by far Brews best team he's had. If we can manage a few big upsets, we'd be getting a lot of attention. I say our year needs to be this one. Go Gophers!!!

I think overall, the team will be peaking, Decker is a big loss no doubt, we will be replacing alot on D but if we are going to see any of Brew's recruits emerge, it will probably be either late this season, or next year and they have potential for greatness athletically. Guys like Green, Jacobs, Cooper, Maresh, Reeves, Carter, Gray.

Also the schedule sets up nicely, with some easier NC games along with the USC game for national recognition should we pull off an upset.
Also a senior QB like Weber and a then veteran Soph QB like Gray can provide the savvy, and experience to win close games. Weber is going to be a three year captain, that type of leadership cannot be overestimated.

My take on this year: We overachieve against a few teams and we lose a few games that we shouldn't.

SYRACUSE- W
AF- W
CAL- W
NW- L
WI- W
PURDUE- W
PSU- L
OSU- L
MSU- L
ILL- L
SDSU-W
IA-W

@ Syracuse: Win
Air Force: Win
Cal: Loss
@Northwestern: Loss
Wisconsin: Win
Purdue: Win
@Penn St.: Loss
@Ohio St.: Loss
Michigan St: Loss
Illinois:Win
South Dakota St.: Win
@ Iowa:Loss

I just can't get past 6-6. I want to add 3-4 (@NWU, @PSU, MSU), but right now I just can't realistically do it.

I think the first few games are going to be wins. The real test will be Cal. Then the Gophers are going to be pretty well scouted by that time and I hope Brew and Crew have a few tricks up their sleeves since the big ten will pretty much know what they are about at that time. Don't think they are deep enough yet to match up man to man against some of the Big Ten teams over the course of the season.

To me, how the season will go depends on how the OL does against Cal. If it can win or stalemate the trench wars against Cal, I would look for a successful season. If not, the season will resemble last year. As soon as the Gophers weaknesses were uncovered (I think it was against Northwestern), the season was downhill from there.

If the O and D lines play at a BT level we could go 9-3. If not? 6-6. Best guess, 8-4 and a better bowl.

I think September will be a huge in terms of the momentum we are able to carry into the rest of the season and thus will be telling as toward the trajectory our season takes.

Last year we looked very rough against Northern Illinois, and a similar under-performance could easily play into a emotion-fueled upset from Syracuse (not every coach struggles like Tim did in year one).

Air Force will do much to test our discipline with their dynamic ground game (a statement that resurrects ghosts of Kafka scrambling through three and four defenders over and over) and we didn't exactly play for the ages when closing out the Metrodome so the special nature of the event isn't enough to make it a lock.

Cal will bring probably one of the best tailbacks in the nation in Best, one many consider a Heisman canidate. Though much has been made with their previous struggles out east playing early games, this could easily turn into an absolute bloodbath if we don't come after them early and often. If we manage to pull out a win, I will start looking at post-season travel plans much more seriously.

To cap September we will be going down to Chicago to battle the nerds in purple, Northwestern. I know many of my fellow 'holers have chalked this one up as cake, but I have almost as many reservations for this one as I do the Cal squad. We have had two heartbreakers against what maybe our closest analog in the conference. Both teams have made major improvements to the overall level of athleticism on the squads under the tireless efforts of their young coaches; and in both teams I would argue that has been most apparent on the DB units, which were always doormats in yesteryear.

If we go 4-0 to start then it starts to look very good as toward improving last years win total into a special season. If we lose only the Cal game but come back strong to show a good rebound against Northwestern it definitely will demonstrate an improvement over the reeling we saw after losses in Brewster's previous squads. How well we bounce back after tough losses in general will be pivotal.

I could see us going 9-3, but I can also see us going 3-9 or anywhere in between.

Considering the schedule....

< 5 wins = Mad :mad:
5 wins = Disapointed :(
6 Wins = Neutral :cool:
7 Wins = Satisfied :)
8 Wins = Happy :D
9 Wins = Extremely Happy :clap:
> 9 Wins = Shocked/ Amazed :eek:

Well said, but I might shift my own expectations down one notch in that I would be neutral for 5 wins and 6 wins especially if we play some of our losses tough and are not completely embarrassed by our rivals.

@ Syracuse- W

vs. Air Force- W

vs. Cal- L

@ Northwestern- W

vs. Wisconsin- W

vs. Purdue- W

@ Penn State- L

@ Ohio State- L

vs. Michigan State- W

vs. Illinois- L

vs. South Dakota State- W

@ Iowa- L

7-5 (4-4), another trip to the Insight Bowl

Exactly how I see it. I think we'll beat either MSU or the Illini but I think Illinois will be a tough offense to slow this year. But, I really think that this team has a great shot in every game except maybe the TOSU and PSU games. Hopefully they exceed my expectations.

The schedule is brutal. Five wins, maybe six. All roads games look bad, with the best shot at Syracuse - but they may be up with the new staff and play better than we expect. We should or could win against Air Force, Wisconsin, Purdue, South Dakota - maybe Illinois. I don't see this as a big win season. Hope I'm wrong.

10 wins = :cool03:
11 wins = :drink:
12 wins = :drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Sept. 5 at Syracuse - Win-they aren't good!

Sept. 12 Air Force - Win -Better than a "Toledo" type school, but we win big

Sept. 19 California - Loss-BCS Team, I think it will be a good game but in the end Cal gets us by 2 td's

Oct. 3 Wisconsin - Win

Oct. 10 Purdue - Win

Oct. 17 at Penn State - Loss -Happy Valley is tough

Oct. 24 at Ohio State - Loss - It's Ohio St

Oct. 31 Michigan State - Win - Very close game

Nov. 7 Illinois - Win - Another good game but we beat them cause we are at home

Nov. 14 South Dakota St. - Win - Cupcake

Nov. 21 at Iowa - Loss - Revenge game, Brewster needs this game to be a win or a last second loss...can't have those hillbillies from Iowa destroying us again

8-4 my boys

This is how I see it:

Likely Outcome
2 of 2 Against: South Dakota State University (home), Syracuse (road)
3 of 4 Against: Purdue (home), Air Force (home), Northwestern (road), Wisconsin (home)
1 of 4 Against: Illinois (home), Cal (home), Michigan State (home), Iowa (road)
0 of 2 Against: Penn State (road), Ohio State (road)
6-6 Overall. We then beat our Motor City or Insight Bowl opponent by a wide margin.

Worst Case Scenario
1 for 1 Against: South Dakota State University (home)
3 of 4 Against: Syracuse (road), Purdue (home), Air Force (home), Northwestern (road)
1 of 4 Against: Wisconsin (home), Illinois (home), Cal (home),Michigan State (home)
0 of 3 Against: Iowa (road), Penn State (road), Ohio State (road)
5-7 Overall – Not Bowl Eligible

Best Case Scenario
4 of 4 Against: South Dakota State University (home), Syracuse (road), Purdue (home), Air Force (home)
2 of 3 Against: Northwestern (road), Wisconsin (home), Illinois (home)
1 of 2 Against: Cal (home), Michigan State (home)
1 of 3 Against: Iowa (road), Penn State (road), Ohio State (road)
8-4 Overall with a trip to the Champs Sports Bowl.

You'll note that there is not a lot of variance between the worst case scenario and the best case. This is because I think we have a very solid team that is bound to win at least 5 games - but with a very difficult schedule that will result in at least 4 losses.

Or to put it in Goldmember's language (which I think is a great way to put it):
< 4 wins:mad: Let the coach replacement talk begin
5 wins :( disappointed
6 wins:cool: neutral
7 wins :) happy
8 wins :D very happy
9 + wins :D:D:D freakin' awesome happy

Go Gophers!

Our schedule is prohibitive to breaking out this year versus next...plus while we have many seniors...we don't have many really good seniors. I think Brewster has upgraded talent wise and I also se us landing several Juco's next year to fill holes...all in all, the pressure will be on next year to break out and have Brewster's recruits start winning.

I am standing my ground, we are in a position to have Syracuse be a let down game with the new stadium home opener the following week, our early season struggles the last couple of years with the introduction of yet another new offense and the talk of Syracuse being down but having a new coaching staff that we don't know and can't scout properly. Ripe for an upset IMO.

W at Syracuse
W vs Air Force
L vs Cal
L at N'western
W vs Wisconsin
W vs Purdue
L at Penn St
L at Ohio St
L vs Mich St
W vs Illinois
W vs SDSU
L at Iowa

6-6

Don't get me wrong I want us to have a great season. But beating Wisconsin is all I care about. When we win that game, I would consider the season a success.

I think 6-6. If we go 8-4 or better the stars were aligned in our favor. For that to happen we need to be lucky (i.e., getting favorable calls from an offical at a critical point in close games) to win some of those 8+ games. I don't see that happening this year, it hasn't happened (in my mind) since 2000 when we got a favorable pass interference call at Ohio State.

Here's how I see it
@ Syracuse W
vs Air Force W
vs California L
@ Northwestern W
vs Wisconsin WWWWWWWWWWWWWw
vs Purdue W
@ Penn State L
@ Ohio State L
vs Michigan State W
vs Illinois W
vs South Dakota W
@ Iowa W

With no Ringer or Hoyer I think we take the game against MSU. Illinois is always scary with Juice and Benn but I think the excitement of home field in a new stadium will help us that game. The "upset" of the year I see is against Iowa. I am not sold that Iowa are as good as they are with the departure of Shonn Greene, but we will see. I think this year we will see the advantages of improved recruiting. We are a much deeper team than in years past, meaning we should avoid late season slumps.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we went 6-6. I will be hopelessly optimistic if we can pull off a win against cal.

Nice bump, I just wish i had a prediction to look back on. I know I did, must be in a different thread.

Top Bottom