Gophers vs Notre Dame?

i'd love to see us dominate them and shut up all the "Irish Fans" in MN!

When nd grows a pairand joins the Big 10, I will be glad to play them. Until then, leave no way do I want them on the schedule.

why on earth would ND join the Big10? makes no sense financially for them to do so. They have an absolute sweetheart deal, and easy access to the BCS bowls.

Splitting the ESPN/SEC deal 12 ways, Vandy now makes more money than Notre Dame does with NBC.

yep, but the Big10 isn't the SEC.

the NBC deal is ND home games only, doesn't take into account the other 5-6 games on ABC/ESPN.

and, that's the SEC, not the Big10. I just don't see their incentive to give up their cupcake scheduling and simple path to the BCS.

There is no chance IMO. Honestly, there probably is not a team in college football that is less likely to be on our schedule ND. Many of their slots are taken up by traditional matchups, and if ND decided they ever did deicde they wanted to play more Big Ten teams, Penn State, Ohio State, Indiana and maybe even Illinois would be on their list ahead of us.

Splitting the ESPN/SEC deal 12 ways, Vandy now makes more money than Notre Dame does with NBC.

This also doesn't include their easy path to the BCS where they get to keep the full BCS payout for themselves.

This also doesn't include their easy path to the BCS where they get to keep the full BCS payout for themselves.

This is one of hundrends of things that is annoying about ND. They have made more money from the BCS than anyone, and since the BCS's inception Notre Dame has never even come close to fielding a team that could compete at the BCS-bowl level.

Over their three appearances they have lost every game. And every game was a blow-out. They have lost, on average, by 24 points. And they have pretty much been pitted against the weakest team to make a BCS bowl.

The BCS should just give ND and the Big East the boot and let them join the MWC, Sub Belt, MAC, WAC and CUSA to form a third sub-division of college football that plays between D1-A and D1-AA.

I think all Big Ten schools should not play ND until they join a conference. If they want to play with us, they have to pay to get in the club. What happens to the mystique when you lose Michigan, Purdue, and Mich State games?

Would ND finally become a joke when they would replace those 3 BT teams with a Miami (OH), Marshall, and Iowa State?

We are upgrading our schedule not downgrading. We should pass.

We are upgrading our schedule not downgrading. We should pass.

Playing ND would be upgrading the schedule. Whether you like them or not they are a huge draw, both on tv and in person. It would be a packed house pumped to watch. Plus it would be good for recruiting.

Notre Dame has an overly sweet deal with the BCS. Maybe the BCS should take that sweetheart deal from Notre Dame and give it to the MWC. The days of the independent teams are done. If Notre Dame doesn't pull itself up, sooner or later, they aren't going to get those lucrative TV deals.

I think one of the key factors other than everything that has already been mentioned that keeps ND from playing us is recruiting. Why would they want to risk possibly coming up here and losing in a place where they have had no trouble in the past of cherry-picking the top recruits. It would be even worse for them if we went down there and beat them. Granted this may be a small reason compared to the others but recruiting is the key reason Brewster wants to play down in Texas to get the exposure. ND doesn't need that up here.

sorry Biff but...

Playing ND would be upgrading the schedule. Whether you like them or not they are a huge draw, both on tv and in person. It would be a packed house pumped to watch. Plus it would be good for recruiting.

a 6-6 anybody doesn't upgrade a schedule. Looked at the ratings lately when a bad N.D. loses to Navy? Very ESPN 11 am like. Substance over appreance should be the rule when going for a "Big" name Non-conference game. I will take So Cal over N.D. any day.

it's Notre Dame...their record is irrelevant. They are a premiere program and probably always will be. They are the perpetual exception to substance over style...and I HATE ND...i'm an SC fan.

It would be a great addition to our schedule, and a game the Gophs could win. In SB, it would be nationally televised on NBC. and if you've never made the trip there for a game, well, you're missing out.

a 6-6 anybody doesn't upgrade a schedule. Looked at the ratings lately when a bad N.D. loses to Navy? Very ESPN 11 am like. Substance over appreance should be the rule when going for a "Big" name Non-conference game. I will take So Cal over N.D. any day.

I can't believe people are continuing to run with this logic.

You can sit there with a straight face and say Notre Dame isn't an upgrade over "insert generic MAC/Sun Belt/C-USA/MWC/WAC team here"?

Please. Use your head.

What

I can't believe people are continuing to run with this logic.

You can sit there with a straight face and say Notre Dame isn't an upgrade over "insert generic MAC/Sun Belt/C-USA/MWC/WAC team here"?

Please. Use your head.

USC=MAC/Sun Belt etc?
Can you not comprehend thought? Nowhere in any link have in ever said "gee we really need to play Ohio U." I would take USC over ND, I would take Texas, Nebraska, Arizona, or hell I'll take a just about any upper tier BSC conference team over N.D. We have a 1 game history with N.D, (80+ years ago), we are not a draw for T.V. and when they play lesser teams neither is N.D. I promise you, if we can beat the N.C. teams or this years schedule we will be able to do well with the recruits.

I'd be a lot more scared to play a Utah team then a ND team. Unless you are scared of history or something.

Are you stupid? or just muddled with your head up your a**? USC=MAC/Sun Belt etc?
Can you not comprehend thought? Nowhere in any link have in ever said "gee we really need to play Ohio U." I would take USC over ND, I would take Texas, Nebraska, Arizona, or hell I'll take a just about any upper tier BSC conference team over N.D. We have a 1 game history with N.D, (80+ years ago), we are not a draw for T.V. and when they play lesser teams neither is N.D.

Please show me anyone who is advocating dropping USC for Notre Dame. Go ahead, I'll give you a moment....

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, monk10 suggested that trying to schedule Notre Dame is downgrading the schedule. Presumably, this would take place by dropping whatever Kent St/UCF/Memphis/Idaho-type team we have scheduled for that particular year. Notre Dame is nowhere near as good as their hype, I will give you that. But they are still better than 95% of all non-BCS schools (see last year's bowl game for evidence), and would provide an upgrade to our schedule no matter when a hypothetical match-up would occur.

I'm not aware of any rule that says we can't schedule USC/Texas/Nebraska/etc. AND Notre Dame in the same season. If you know of such a regulation, please forward it on to me as I'd love to read it.

And, again, no one is advocating that we schedule Notre Dame at the expense of an upper-tier "BSC" school. Btw - Arizona? Seriously? You lump in Arizona with Texas/Nebraska/USC? Well done.

Please. Use your head.

it's Notre Dame...their record is irrelevant. They are a premiere program and probably always will be. They are the perpetual exception to substance over style...and I HATE ND...i'm an SC fan.

It would be a great addition to our schedule, and a game the Gophs could win. In SB, it would be nationally televised on NBC. and if you've never made the trip there for a game, well, you're missing out.

For now, there is a "shine" to Notre Dame that is beyond what they might do on the field. But there is no guarantee that it will last forever. If that shine fades, the sweetheart TV and BCS deals will fade away too. If that happens, Notre Dame will need to get into a conference pretty quickly.

Notre Dame is a program on the decline....

you would seriously rather play Arizona than ND?

Why?

I have been to South Bend, and the jackass fan ratio was Alabama like. They got crushed by B.C. and I found the whole thing wildly over rated. Arizona is slightly selfish, I have friends down there and the Golf, friends, weather, women, and the game would be incredible. I do see them as a team with a better chance of being in a top tier bowl, on their own merits, faster then N.D. who is has what, 1 bowl win in 22 years or so? I just don't think that Notre Dame is even realistic, seeing as they have a terrible record against the Big Ten. I say work Texas, Nebraska, the better Pac Ten teams as hard as possible to secure some sort of series of games. You may love Notre Dame's past, I only care about reality, and the reality is that they have been putting up weak results against a weakened schedule. Sorry, but there it is.

ND has been recruiting lights out the past few years...now if they only had a competent coach, they could be pretty good.

For now, there is a "shine" to Notre Dame that is beyond what they might do on the field. But there is no guarantee that it will last forever. If that shine fades, the sweetheart TV and BCS deals will fade away too. If that happens, Notre Dame will need to get into a conference pretty quickly.

I sincerely doubt that shine will every truly fade. Not when they can be 9-3 and reach a BCS bowl (which is completely plausible if the pollsters rank them high enough). The only way the shine goes away is if the join a conference and continue to go 6-6 resulting in poor bowls/no bowls.

For now? They have been on NBC since 1991, and recently renewed their contract through the 2015 season. And, remind me, how many BCS bowl games/national championships have they won in that time?

Trust me, Notre Dame will do just fine in terms of fan following, interest, and revenue for the foreseeable future. If they ever do decide to join a conference, it will be on their own terms, and not anyone else's. Is it fair? No, but Notre Dame plays by a different set of rules than everybody else. And they will continue to do so. The only thing that would change that is a 5-year consecutive run of 2-3 wins a season. And the chances of that happening with their schedule are 0.01%.

again, what?

Please show me anyone who is advocating dropping USC for Notre Dame. Go ahead, I'll give you a moment....

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, monk10 suggested that trying to schedule Notre Dame is downgrading the schedule. Presumably, this would take place by dropping whatever Kent St/UCF/Memphis/Idaho-type team we have scheduled for that particular year. Notre Dame is nowhere near as good as their hype, I will give you that. But they are still better than 95% of all non-BCS schools (see last year's bowl game for evidence), and would provide an upgrade to our schedule no matter when a hypothetical match-up would occur.

I'm not aware of any rule that says we can't schedule USC/Texas/Nebraska/etc. AND Notre Dame in the same season. If you know of such a regulation, please forward it on to me as I'd love to read it.

And, again, no one is advocating that we schedule Notre Dame at the expense of an upper-tier "BSC" school. Btw - Arizona? Seriously? You lump in Arizona with Texas/Nebraska/USC? Well done.

Please. Use your head.
Find me where I....again, I said lets not schedule any top BCS team. I will wait while you work on that......no luck huh?
In my view Notre Dame is not a top BSC team, being neither Top, nor BCS. I don't think anybody has SEREIOUSLY ever suggested that a bottom BCS or non-BCS team would be better for us than Notre Dame. I'm just saying that Notre Dame is nowhere near as good as So Cal, Texas, Nebraska. I don't know of any rule saying we can't schedule them and the others, but checking the records, we never have. I don't remember saying that it can't be done.
I'm saying that if it were to come down to scheduling either or, I go against N.D. in this scenario, everytime, unless Notre Dame actually steps up to their hype for a couple years in a row.
I think that is clear enough.
Please. Show me evidence of you using your head before asking me to use mine.

Notre Dame will not be joining us any time soon, I dont think.... but I do think there is a lot better chance that Syracuse could be the one to join us in the big ten. (obviously for football only) They certainly also love playing us in the non-conference, since their season starts out this year with the Gophs, then Penn State in Happy Valley, then Northwestern back in the dome. Even though their program has been pretty crappy recently, I think they might be sick of being in a big east that barely resembles what it once was with Va Tech, Miami and BC.

I'm calling it, by the start of the 2012-13 season, they will join, and someone like UCF or Temple to take their place in big east.

Top Bottom