PiPress: Carlos Morris already a winner in Apalachicola, Fla.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Keturah Washington woke to the sound of a basketball on her driveway. It was pitch black, the middle of the night, but she wasn't worried about her son.

When he couldn't sleep, Carlos "Squirrel" Morris would step outside and shoot for hours, dreaming of being the first from his hometown of Apalachicola, Fla., to play Division I basketball.

Morris, a University of Minnesota starting senior guard, is at his fourth school in six years, but the journey was worth it. He's playing college basketball at its highest level, and on pace to be the first in the family to earn a degree.

It wasn't easy. As a child, Morris didn't really have any male role models. For most of his life, Morris' father and two older brothers were in and out of prison. When he was 12 years old, Morris told his mother he wasn't going down that path.

"He said, 'I would never put you through that. I will never go to jail,' " Washington said. "He saw I was going through that situation with his brothers and his daddy. It really tore me up. He saw that. He has never been in trouble. He never disrespected me. Always been cool as a cucumber."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1447806593

Go Gophers!!

Good article. Thanks for sharing. Morris' resilience and acceptance of criticism really stood out in this piece. Not sure if there is more to the story, but on the surface, a lot to like.

Top Bottom