PiPress: Former Gophers basketball coach Tubby Smith retains pride in his years at U

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Texas Tech coach Tubby Smith hasn't been keeping track of his old basketball program.

So he was pretty surprised to hear the University of Minnesota finally broke ground last month on the Athletes Village project, which includes the practice facility he longed for during his six seasons as Gophers coach.

Smith does think he started the awareness about the need for better facilities.

He does think he left the Gophers basketball program in better shape.

"We felt like we gave it our all," Smith said. "We thought we helped to restore. You take a lot of pride, I know I do, in that you left the place in better shape than you found it. I take a lot of pride in it."

"I'm happy for Richard Pitino," Smith said. "He'll get it done there. He's a very talented coach. I'm sure that he'll have his Gophers ready for the Puerto Rico shootout like everyone else will have their teams prepared."

"We thought we laid a great foundation there at Minnesota. We were well on our way to being a consistent postseason tournament team. That's our goal here. First we have to have a winning team, then we can think about the next step and that's postseason play, which we're not far away from. Although we'll have one of the youngest teams in the Big 12 this year."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29125905/gophers-basketball-tubby-smith-retains-pride-his-years

Go Gophers!!

Some very classy comments from Tubby there.

Tubby is a class act

Great attitude. I'm sure he wouldn't have the same things to say confidentially about Teague

Except he didn't have the program on its way to consistent postseason appearances.

Dignity and integrity.

I wish that some of the people around here had the same traits. Not even a single wish for him in here when Bleed posted the coaches' John Wooden's award. Thanks for the memories coach. I am not sure why people around here are so angry that they can't admit what you did. Post season trips, 5 out of 6 seasons, sounds pretty consistent to me. Being in top 25 so many times, not even a mention. Only the negative stuff. We'll see if Richard leaves this program better than the way he found it. Richard forgot to mention that his NIT championship was owed to Austin.

I wish that some of the people around here has the same traits. Not even a single wish for him in here when Bleed posted the coaches' John Wooden's award. Thanks for the memories coach. I am not sure why people around here are so angry that they can't admit what you did. Post season trips, 5 out of 6 seasons, sounds pretty consistent to me. Being in top 25 so many times, not even a mention. Only the negative stuff. We'll see if Richard leaves this program better than the way he found it. Richard forgot to mention that his NIT championship was owed to Austin.

So you complain about no one saying positive things about Tubby in a thread that has people saying positive things about Tubby?

He did some good things for the program but it was time to move on.

I wish that some of the people around here had the same traits. Not even a single wish for him in here when Bleed posted the coaches' John Wooden's award. Thanks for the memories coach. I am not sure why people around here are so angry that they can't admit what you did. Post season trips, 5 out of 6 seasons, sounds pretty consistent to me. Being in top 25 so many times, not even a mention. Only the negative stuff. We'll see if Richard leaves this program better than the way he found it. Richard forgot to mention that his NIT championship was owed to Austin.

Thanks for that.

So you complain about no one saying positive things about Tubby in a thread that has people saying positive things about Tubby?

He did some good things for the program but it was time to move on.

It's interesting that you say this. I remember when we first got Tubby from Kentucky, fans of UK said we'd get sick of him. I was just happy to get a coach with such a good track record. Anyway, classy comments indeed from Tubby. Home and Home next year?

It's interesting that you say this. I remember when we first got Tubby from Kentucky, fans of UK said we'd get sick of him. I was just happy to get a coach with such a good track record. Anyway, classy comments indeed from Tubby. Home and Home next year?

You mean those UK fans who don't leave him alone at the FF event? Yah, they did get sick of him so they can't get enough of him.

FOT, just stop! People have moved on, people are complementing Tubby

FOT, just stop! People have moved on, people are complementing Tubby

+100

People do appreciate what Tubby did, but I don't understand why FOT keeps insisting that we build a statue for him. Tubby is a great guy, enough said.

Please move on, we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+100

People do appreciate what Tubby did, but I don't understand why FOT keeps insisting that we build a statue for him. Tubby is a great guy, enough said.

Please move on, we have.

Maybe I don't know the definition of "moving on". To me moving on means that focus on the positives and forget about the negatives. Have you seriously seen that here? If yes, I'll move on too. There is so much anger toward a guy who says that he did his 100%. If that wasn't enough, that's OK. There is a replacement. constantly, bashing a HOF coach is what drives me crazy. In a few years, they will make his statue at UK but even then you guys will blame him for everything that went wrong during the past few years at MN. I often watch the clips from the Gophers' games during those years. They are really good memories. On the other hand, you guys think that if you acknowledge that you want Richard to get fired. Nobody wants Richard to be fired but have a little bit honesty if you can. Admit that those years were fun.

bga1, very honestly told us what he thought of Richard's system. I call him a true and unbiased fan. Some others, I am not so sure.

Maybe I don't know the definition of "moving on". To me moving on means that focus on the positives and forget about the negatives. Have you seriously seen that here? If yes, I'll move on too. There is so much anger toward a guy who says that he did his 100%. If that wasn't enough, that's OK. There is a replacement. constantly, bashing a HOF coach is what drives me crazy. In a few years, they will make his statue at UK but even then you guys will blame him for everything that went wrong during the past few years at MN. I often watch the clips from the Gophers' games during those years. They are really good memories. On the other hand, you guys think that if you acknowledge that you want Richard to get fired. Nobody wants Richard to be fired but have a little bit honesty if you can. Admit that those years were fun.

bga1, very honestly told us what he thought of Richard's system. I call him a true and unbiased fan. Some others, I am not so sure.

Quote bashing of Tubby in this thread before you brought up the bashing of Tubby in this thread.

DL guy aside who you replied almost at the same time.

No in here, I am talking in general.

Been 2 threads with his name brought up in I don't know how long. It's a select few who continuously drag him into conversations. I think you'd be better served just to ignore the glancing blows. Rarely are they from any poster with substantial credibility/respect so I'm not sure why it's so offensive to you. Trolls will be trolls, fan boys be fan boys, bashers be bashers .

I live ten miles from his home town. He is a class act and always has been.

His recruiting on name alone is what limits him.

I hope he turns Tech around.

Been 2 threads with his name brought up in I don't know how long. It's a select few who continuously drag him into conversations. I think you'd be better served just to ignore the glancing blows. Rarely are they from any poster with substantial credibility/respect so I'm not sure why it's so offensive to you. Trolls will be trolls, fan boys be fan boys, bashers be bashers .

Ok, I'll stop. Thanks.

Very true. Old coaches have a habit of recruiting anybody and hoping they could develop them. I saw that with coach Keady too. I will be cheering for 2 teams on Thursday.

It was just a matter of time for your attack. Sorry, your trolls will not be responded either.

His recruiting was stellar when he first started at the U, towards the end it took a downturn, I always wondered if cancer impacted him and drained some of his energy in the subsequent years.

It was just a matter of time for your attack. Sorry, your trolls will not be responded either.

TPWE7vXrqLbZ6.gif

I always wondered in the 2010 team had panned out, how different things would've been for Tubby here. If Royce and Mbakwe were eligible that team probably goes to the sweet 16 with most of the squad coming back the following year. Who knows maybe Cory Joseph comes to play with his brother in that scenario and an injury Al Nolen isn't such a big deal. If the 2010 and 2011 years pan out I have no doubt that the big three would've came here and Smith would be able to retire here. A lot of what ifs and could've beens in those years

+100

Please move on, we have.

I'm a Tubby fan, wish him well at his current job, it was the right move. I'd bet he got a lot of enjoyment out of Norwood going down.

Top Bottom