Dave Telep on former Hopkins center, Anthony Diloreto

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Diloreto was involved in the Bremer Bank rob a year or so ago. From Telep:

"Heard of Anthony Diloreto? Well, you’re going to. He’s a seven-footer out of Minnesota who signed with Cal-Poly. He then made a bad choice and found himself in some legal trouble. Good news is on Aug. 6 things should clear up and his bad decision may wind up not costing him too much. How good is he? He can be a high-major signee. He’s a lefty who blocks shots, has good touch around the rim and has the makings of a late bloomer. Lots of folks will be interested and we’ll see who bites."

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=2&c=881498

Go Gophers!!

hmmmm

lets see. As I recall he tried to rob a bank. Yes, that is a bad decision.

Wow - a high major signee? That really surprises me - he must have improved and/or added weight which is surprising since he's had the legal issues. He certainly was not a high major signee imo during his senior year @ Hopkins.

The better question is how is he out and free to play ball after robbing a bank???? Love our Justice system!

Maybe he honed his game and put on some bulk in the clink.

I think the better question is does this kid deserve a second chance? I don't know the particulars of what he did (on the surface though it does seem very, very serious) but I'm a big believer that people deserve to atone for their mistakes and have an opportunity to succeed. If he can do that through basketball and find a path towards a new life as a productive and law abiding member of society I don't see the harm in it. If he's willing to accept that it isn't going to be easy, he's probably never going to get the benefit of doubt again and that people will constantly be assuming the worst about him I say he deserves the chance.

Look at Caron Butler. That was a young person who was in and out of juvenile detention facilities as teenager who was able to turn his life around through basketball. If no one gave him that opportunity to prove he was something more than a "bad kid" or a criminal he'd probably be in prison right now for a serious crime or maybe even dead.

Was he the kid that was caught in Wisconsin or somewhere driving the getaway car?

You usually don't have to sit in jail between arrest and trial unless you are dangerous, a flight risk, or can't post bail. He probably didn't have much to do but work out. Probably realized that his future would be pretty dim even if he got off unless he was in top shape and could get schools to take a risk because of his potential.

I simply don't understand how someone could reasonably expect to get away with a bank robbery like that... Enough to scare me off the kid regardless of potential - if he makes that bad of a decision with his future on the line what decisions will he make in college?

This guy isn't even good at all. MAYBE he's a mid major player, but not high major at all. He doesn't have a good feel for the game and doesn't show a lot of skill, just height. Add in the serious legal troubles and I have no clue why a high major would offer him.

from everyone I have ever talked to about Diloreto, he is supposed to be a really good, quiet kid who just associated with the wrong people and made a huge mistake. He was the driver of the car during that bank robbery but I think it was unclear if he knew about the robbery or had any part in it. My guess is that is his story and he will plead to a much lesser charge, maybe testify against the other guys, and never spend a day in jail.

as for him as a player, I'll take a pass unless somehow he has improved ALOT. He was a seven footer who could move, things that are in high demand, and yet he signed with Cal Poly. Since then he hasn't played any organized basketball, no Pulley league, and he looked as skinny as ever sitting on Hopkins bench all year, and yet now he is a high Major recruit. I think it says more about the lack of quality big men available nation wide. I would rather take a chance on a kid like Alec Brown from Winona or maybe Krueser before I would go after Diloreto, and that has nothing to do with his legal problems, just talent and potential.

Parrish

he is turning into a an insightful columnist who is more than a ranting one trick pony. His points in this column, and most, are balanced, reasoned, based on fact, and respectful of the kid involved, without giving him a pass. You can't ask for much better.

He could have added that Majerus has many basketball contacts in the Twin Cities who probably have given him a thmbs up on the recruit, leading to the "offer." I must say I don't think I would NOT be pleased if Tubby were to offer a likely felon a scholarship. The talent pool is decreasing while the number of D-1 teams increases. More felons may be getting scholarships just by supply and demand.

Root for Anthony

Anthony Diloreto is a very good person. Obviously the press is going to only report on the negative aspect of what happened, and it's much more interesting to believe the worst in people, but I ask you this- Why would a kid who's set for success who lives in a middle-upper class neighborhood with a successful family need to rob a bank? His family supports him, and he didn't need to pay for college because he was offered a full scholarship... he would have no reason to sabotage his future.

He is one of the most honest, emotional, hard working people around and it breaks his heart, as well as his family's, to read all of this untrue negative press about himself.

Anthony Diloreto is a very good person. Obviously the press is going to only report on the negative aspect of what happened, and it's much more interesting to believe the worst in people, but I ask you this- Why would a kid who's set for success who lives in a middle-upper class neighborhood with a successful family need to rob a bank? His family supports him, and he didn't need to pay for college because he was offered a full scholarship... he would have no reason to sabotage his future.

He is one of the most honest, emotional, hard working people around and it breaks his heart, as well as his family's, to read all of this untrue negative press about himself.

Is there a positive aspect of bank robberies for the press to report on? I don't think anybody has really disputed that this kid seems like a good guy but the fact is he assisted in an attempted bank heist. I agree it made zero sense for him to do so but he did. People are questioning his judgement for all the reasons you stated above.

"Why would a kid who's set for success who lives in a middle-upper class neighborhood with a successful family need to rob a bank"

He wouldn't, which is even more reason to stay far far away from him. If his family was literally starving and they needed money it would understandable. If he had some horribly troubled life and for whatever reason didn't know any better, it would be understandable. He clearly knows better and clearly didn't need the money. If a kid thinks its ok to rob a bank, or that he will get away with it, or was susceptible to peer pressure enough to rob a bank, why wouldn't think it is ok to skip class, do other illegal things, or allow himself to be pressured into other activities that are detrimental to a basketball team?

During all this time while being home before his trial, Coach Novak, despite a fair share criticism from parents and fans, gave Anthony the opportunity to be an "assistant coach" for the Hopkins basketball team. Giving him this chance made it possible for Anthony to practice with the team every day, the same team that some say was the best high school team in the history of Minnesota basketball. He also has been going to open gym and practicing with current and former Hopkins players, so in all this he likely has lost much, if at all any ability in his game. I don't see him getting any Division 1 offers right after this but he would be a nice pickup for any D2 school and hopefully someday earn back the D1 scholarship that he lost.

Marg,

I appreciate your feelings and your comments. But I don't get this part about things being "untrue."

He has been charged with a crime. I find it completely difficult to believe that he would have been charged if the county attorney in Wisconsin didn't think he or she could get a conviction.

Need to insert the NOT. Good catch, Chem.

Now I'm confused. It's now a double negative that translates to "I would be pleased if they offered a likely felon a scholarship."

Is that really what you meant? I agreed with the statement before it was edited.

Now I'm confused. It's now a double negative that translates to "I would be pleased if they offered a likely felon a scholarship."

Is that really what you meant? I agreed with the statement before it was edited.

The statement was grammatically correct. I was highlighting it because it was written hours before the Mbakwe felony charge news broke. Just thought it was ironic timing.

A couple weeks ago it looked like Diloreto to St. Louis was going to happen, but the stroy got out and Majerus had to pull back due to the negative attention he was receiving back home.

Regardless of whether the kid is a nice guy or not, he was involved in a bank robbery! Let me repeat, he was involved in a bank robbery. Let me repeat, he was involved in a bank robbery.

Second chance, sure..but that does not mean getting a scholly at the U.

Top Bottom