Pitino: New depth means lots of lineup changes and lessons

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

On Sunday, it was one strike and you’re out.

Near the end of Minnesota’s 67-56 win over Louisiana Monroe, when Minnesota desperately needed a comeback after a 51-50 deficit, senior Carlos Morris forgot to rotate on defense and he was pulled, despite that it meant coach Richard Pitino was sending in freshmen in the game in crunch time.

Earlier, sophomore guard Nate Mason didn’t dive for a loose ball. Mason had just made a shot, but it made no difference. He was out.

“I was kind of mad about that but I really couldn’t say nothing,” Mason said Monday. “All I could do was respect it, because he told us that at the beginning of the game.”

Told them to be ready to sit if they didn’t hustle, that is.

With three games against high-major teams in Puerto Rico on the horizon, Pitino didn’t hold back on substitutions in the final non-conference tuneup Sunday, using a plethora of lineups in the victory and, he believes, teaching some lessons in the process.

“This is the first year for the most part where I’ve got depth at every position where if you don’t defend or rebound, we can bring you to the bench,” he said. “I didn’t have that the first two years.

“…You can yell and scream until you’re blue in the face or you can say certain things. The bench is the greatest motivator and I think as long as we stay healthy, we’ve got that a little bit.”

http://www.startribune.com/pitino-new-depth-means-lots-of-lineup-changes-and-lessons/350700421/

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, I thought I remembered Tubby catching some criticism for pulling guys too quickly, causing them to lose confidence and play scared. Does Pitino just have better justifications for yanking guys out of the game?

Just to clarify, I am not anti-Pitino and I do not want him fired, just asking a question.

Yeah cayman, I probably over reacted at first to "The-Real-truth" comment. I think you're right he did get some criticism from this. I think that maybe there is a difference when people are disgruntled with the program vs. when they are looking up about the program. If people think you're doing a poor job you'll get every decision criticized.

Any coach can have too quick of a hook. I will say, though, that there's a big difference between pulling someone for making a mistake and pulling someone for not hustling.

Any coach can have too quick of a hook. I will say, though, that there's a big difference between pulling someone for making a mistake and pulling someone for not hustling.

Exactly. And also the idea of talking the guy through it when it happens. Didn't we used to hear that guys couldn't figure out what Tubby wanted? Clem (for example) had a great relationship with the players -but guys got yanked for lack of hustle.

I really liked that Pitino had his best defensive/rebounding team in at the end of the game. Defense and rebounding are a must to win in the Big Ten.

Yeah, I thought I remembered Tubby catching some criticism for pulling guys too quickly, causing them to lose confidence and play scared. Does Pitino just have better justifications for yanking guys out of the game?

Just to clarify, I am not anti-Pitino and I do not want him fired, just asking a question.

The difference between Tubby and Pitino. When a player didn't perform for Tubby he'd pull the entire lineup. Tubby would have been a legendary Hockey coach. lol

Exactly. That was my answer for The-Real-Truth

As long as coaches are clear about expectations with players and the team as a whole, players ultimately will respect coaching decisions that are made in terms of substitutions/playing time, and it seems Pitino is doing a good job of this. I think it was reflected directly in a quote from Mason recently when asked about being pulled last game- he wasn't happy about it, but at the same time, he respected the decision because he understood he had made a mistake and had to take ownership.

And yes, I believe this was one of the main issues with the Tubby regime. At least from a fan's perspective, it seemed his own personal voodoo guided a lot of his personnel decisions rather than any defined rationale. I've played for coaches like this, and it's incredibly frustrating. Kids have egos/expectations for themselves when they come into a program, and the voodoo/head game method of communication, or lack thereof, causes way too much confusion and forces everyone to be a mind reader. It's like a book/movie with too many plots, eventually it just falls under it's own weight- so I think Pitino is doing it the right way (if indeed he is being transparent- you never know what kind of mind games may be going on in the background).

No one hooks a player for bad D faster than Grinch...hell, players head to the bench without him even calling for them...they know. I don't think its the worst strategy in the world...if the effort isn't there, lets see if someone else can bring some energy.

I am sorry, not even the unhappiest player (Colt) ever came out of the locker room and mentioned that previous coach called them Heart-less. If that is a motivational tactic, you are absolutely right.

I like to know what you would say at the end of this season when a player leaves the program because of lack of playing time.
It will open another scholly up for the talented in state recruiting class in 2017. Were gonna have to Crean someone as of right now if we want more than one.

Exactly. And also the idea of talking the guy through it when it happens. Didn't we used to hear that guys couldn't figure out what Tubby wanted? Clem (for example) had a great relationship with the players -but guys got yanked for lack of hustle.

Clem used to pull guys when they were on a shooting streak and couldn't miss. I never quite got that or his rationale for doing it.

Let's not rewrite history! We all saw it with our own eyes when players would look around confused with their hands up in the air asking "what are we supposed to do?" A player may not like being pulled out of the game, but with Pitino they know why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Through 2 games we are averaging 5 stls per game and shooting 30% from 3. Last year we averaged 9 steals and shot 38% from 3. Anyone worried yet? Getting the athletic players for defense is going to cost us some offense unless they are Coffey like players. Still trying to be patient. If we cannot get steals in the non conference at home, how will we in the half court big ten? King is the only 3pt shooter hitting right now. Buggs has been much more consistent. His rebounding and blocks have stood out. I would much rather him take it to the whole from 15' on in then jacking up 3's every time. Just a bunch of random thoughts.

It will open another scholly up for the talented in state recruiting class in 2017. Were gonna have to Crean someone as of right now if we want more than one.

A bit biased???? It used to be called damaging the stability of the program. Now days, it is called an opportunity for recruiting?????

Through 2 games we are averaging 5 stls per game and shooting 30% from 3. Last year we averaged 9 steals and shot 38% from 3. Anyone worried yet? Getting the athletic players for defense is going to cost us some offense unless they are Coffey like players. Still trying to be patient. If we cannot get steals in the non conference at home, how will we in the half court big ten? King is the only 3pt shooter hitting right now. Buggs has been much more consistent. His rebounding and blocks have stood out. I would much rather him take it to the whole from 15' on in then jacking up 3's every time. Just a bunch of random thoughts.

The kids are young and nervous- we are playing three frosh a lot. We probably won't find out what kind of shooters they are until they get a little comfortable with the speed of the college game. Steals? I don't think we will have any problem matching last year- this is a more athletic club than we had last year- just inexperienced.

A bit biased???? It used to be called damaging the stability of the program. Now days, it is called an opportunity for recruiting?????

there is a difference in someone leaving because a better player was recruited to take their spot and a player leaving because he is disgruntled and having to scramble to fill scholarships. I'm not saying Creaning is right and I would prefer to not do it but at the same token every team can largely count on 1 transfer per year on average based on statistics.

Edit: i didn't fully read back so i didn't know exactly the context but the above statement holds true no matter the side of the argument it favors.

You assume too much, just calling it like it is, Gophs are going to have to run someone off if they want more than one recruit in 2017. May be somebody transfers out, but your boy Tubby had to make room for a couple of guys in 2009. You think Busch willingly transferred to Winona state. He could just hide behind the fact that Peyton and Busch already had their degrees. For the record I have no problem with that. I would take Royce, Rodney, Cobb and Mbakwe over either of them. Just like I would take John, wright and Mar over Gaston. too bad it didn't work out.

PLEASE STOP with your Tubby vs Pitino crap!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The kids are young and nervous- we are playing three frosh a lot. We probably won't find out what kind of shooters they are until they get a little comfortable with the speed of the college game. Steals? I don't think we will have any problem matching last year- this is a more athletic club than we had last year- just inexperienced.

No we won't. We may be more athletic but I think you're forgetting how good we were at getting steals last year:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...s/sort/avgSteals/year/2015/big-ten-conference

I like to know what you would say at the end of this season when a player leaves the program because of lack of playing time.

If they go on to be the star of their new team (Iverson, Cobbs), I'll be upset.

Top Bottom