Joey King Earns B1G Co-Player of the Week Honors

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per U of MN:

Senior forward Joey King paced the Minnesota men’s basketball team’s offense in two wins to open the season, and for his efforts he was recognized Monday as the Big Ten Co-Player of the Week. He shares the award with Northwestern’s Alex Olah.

For King, it is his first weekly conference honor and the first for the Gophers since Maurice Walker and Andre Hollins won the award in back-to-back weeks last December.

King tallied back-to-back 20-point games in the Gophers home wins over UMKC and ULM this weekend, including a career-high 22-point effort against the Kangaroos. The Eagan, Minn., native tied his career-high with six 3-pointers in the game, and also added four rebounds, one steal and an assist.

Two days later, King scored 20 points in the victory over the Warhawks, including a 9-of-10 performance at the free throw line. He pulled down a game-high eight rebounds along with an assist.

King leads the Gophers and ranks second among Big Ten players averaging 21.0 points per game. He and the Gophers will travel to San Juan for the Puerto Rico Tip-Off this week, where they face Temple in opening round action Thursday at 10:30 a.m. CT.

Congrats to Joey! Hopefully the first of many to come.

Really happy to see this! Almost as happy as I was to see him knocking down those 3's and grabbing rebounds. The young man has really worked hard to get to this point. I hope that ethic has an influence on the younger guys.

Interesting to see his relationship with coach and how it has progressed. He was Pitino's whipping boy in year one and two, now he seems to be his coach on the court. That or King is making less defensive mistakes (or likely a combo of both).

King is playing great all around basketball. I hope it continues.

Yes good to see. The kid can shoot the 3.

Coach P talking about him on his show tonight. Says Joey has an interest in coaching.

Where are all his critics??

I always believed in what he brought to the court even when he struggled. Joey was far from perfect but gradually improved. IMO, he was our best overall player the last part of the season. He always put forth his best effort and was a solid team player.

Where are all his critics??

I always believed in what he brought to the court even when he struggled. Joey was far from perfect but gradually improved. IMO, he was our best overall player the last part of the season. He always put forth his best effort and was a solid team player.

I have a feeling he is going to be our best player and team leader this season as well.

Interesting to see his relationship with coach and how it has progressed. He was Pitino's whipping boy in year one and two, now he seems to be his coach on the court. That or King is making less defensive mistakes (or likely a combo of both).

You think? More than other players? I feel like Pitino has always spoken almost entirely positively about Joey

You think? More than other players? I feel like Pitino has always spoken almost entirely positively about Joey

To the press, absolutely, Pitino has always been positive about Joey.

I do think he was the first to get yelled at when a defensive rotation was missed or if a rebound wasn't grabbed. Joey seemed to be just a vent for Pitino to expell hot gas through. I've not seen that in my 2 games of viewing this year, which is interesting and cool at the same time.

To the press, absolutely, Pitino has always been positive about Joey. I do think he was the first to get yelled at when a defensive rotation was missed or if a rebound wasn't grabbed. Joey seemed to be just a vent for Pitino to expell hot gas through. I've not seen that in my 2 games of viewing this year, which is interesting and cool at the same time.

FWIW, a big part of why Pitino yelled at Joey is he knew he could handle it and it would work with him. He also has mentioned there are other guys he had to treat differently to motivate and correct them. Different kids respond to different treatments.

FWIW, a big part of why Pitino yelled at Joey is he knew he could handle it and it would work with him. He also has mentioned there are other guys he had to treat differently to motivate and correct them. Different kids respond to different treatments.

I would assume this is correct. I wasn't commenting on the fact that Joey was or wasn't screwing up more than others, just that it's been interesting to watch how those two intereact over the years. Seem to really be on the same page right now (small sample alert).

Perhaps this year Joey will be the on-court leader we seemed to lack last season.

I would assume this is correct. I wasn't commenting on the fact that Joey was or wasn't screwing up more than others, just that it's been interesting to watch how those two intereact over the years. Seem to really be on the same page right now (small sample alert).

I would guess Joey's is Pitino's #1 guy when it comes to discussing the pulse of the team.

That's a good point. I remember that.

Pitino may have been trying to prevent King from getting a Technical. On his Monday Radio Show Pitino said that after King had been called for a foul he went up to the ref and was explaining the new rules to the ref. Pitino yelled at King and when he went back to the bench Joey said the ref did not know the new rules. Pitino just shook his head and told him to sit down.

He went on to say that Joey knows the game and as mentioned above has an interest in coaching after he is done playing.

Top Bottom