2016 early season tournament?

dannygopher9100

Reaction score
Any news on where the Gophers are heading next year? Always a fun time time to watch these early season tournies.

Not announced yet, I don't think. Won't be Maui; were there in 2013.

I notice Pitino was quoted recently that he's 'not a fan' of these tournaments. But I can't imagine we won't be in one. You basically lose 2 games if you aren't.

I notice Pitino was quoted recently that he's 'not a fan' of these tournaments. But I can't imagine we won't be in one. You basically lose 2 games if you aren't.

Not necessary, we can still play 12 games. Could replace it with a couple of home and homes. I know that would make Selection happier

Exempt

Not necessary, we can still play 12 games. Could replace it with a couple of home and homes. I know that would make Selection happier

The Exempt Tourneys count as 1 game (even if you play up to 4 in the Tourney). Not playing in one would lose at least 2, possibly 3 games overall.

The Exempt Tourneys count as 1 game (even if you play up to 4 in the Tourney). Not playing in one would lose at least 2, possibly 3 games overall.

We normally would know by now what one we are in. I think if it were Maui, we would know for sure. Choice of tourneys says a lot about what a coach thinks of his team. I'd like to see them in an easy to get to warm location with plenty of good competition. Maybe one of the Florida tournaments.

We normally would know by now what one we are in. I think if it were Maui, we would know for sure. Choice of tourneys says a lot about what a coach thinks of his team. I'd like to see them in an easy to get to warm location with plenty of good competition. Maybe one of the Florida tournaments.

I could be wrong, but I thought Maui announced next year's field during the tournament.

Ope has it correct.

Every team gets 28 regular-season games per season. One of those 28 can be an exempt tournament. Exempt tournaments always are 3 or 4 games, so that means teams playing in exempt tournaments typically have 30 or 31 regular-season games. (Gophers have 30 this season)

There is one exception. Teams that play a game in the state of Hawaii (best example = teams in Hawaii's conference, the Big West) are allowed to schedule an extra regular-season game, if they so choose, because of the travel expenses. So occasionally there are teams that have 32 games on their regular-season schedule.

Teams that don't play in an exempt tournament -- extremely rare among major programs -- are allowed to schedule a 29th regular-season game.

To Howeda's point, if it's true Richard doesn't like (bracketed) exempt tournaments, not surprised to hear that. His father doesn't like to play in them, either. Louisville hasn't played in one for 3 straight seasons, unusual for a Power 6 program. Matta (Ohio State) is another coach who doesn't like 'em.

The elder Pitino and Matta like to play in the 4-game non-bracketed exempt tournaments where their teams get 3 cupcake home opponents, with the 4th game vs. a good/notable team, usually at a neutral site. I'm not a fan of those, would rather Gophers continue to play in a bracketed exempted tournament because I don't trust Pitino or the administration to schedule a couple decent opponents (read home-and-homes) to replace the quality opponents you're almost sure to get in tournaments like Puerto Rico, Maui, Battle 4 Atlantis, etc.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom