Comment on Brew and Crews recruiting prowess

calminnfan

Reaction score
Considering how Brew and crew seem to regularly offer and even get commits from recruits who have not as yet been rated and who as of yet had not been approached by the top schools (USC, OS, Florida's schools, ect), yet seem to end up at least three stars and eventually getting the top schools attention; I just feel it is important to recognize Brew & Crews:

1. Very hard work
2. eye for talent
3. being on top of the recruiting game

feedback welcome!

I agree completely

Following recruiting used to feel like being repeatedly kicked in the nuts. What was more frustrating than not having the "tools" that other schools had, was Mason's aloofness and apparent laziness towards recruiting. Sure he has missed, but I don't think anyone can argue that he (Brewster) isn't recruiting at a different level and I think it will eventually pay off. Keep in mind, this will only be year two of his recruits seeing the field. I think the knock that, in his first few years, can't hold off Ohio St., Notre Dame and USC quite unfair.

I agree completely callminfan. Being no-where near MN or having my pulse on the recruiting scene makes the recruiting a bit of a mystery to me. When I see guys that were offered early by us, or not ranked or no stars made me quite curious. I then would look to see who else has offered, if none, the I would get/be even more curious. If other "big name" schools have offered too then I would feel even more comfortable with "our" offer, but still made me wonder about those recruits that haven't been offered. Now that the new rankings are out, and our guys are receiving their stars or a rank, as well as those that were offered early by us and subsequently have been offered by other more "prominent" schools, but may not be ranked or have stars, leaves me with great confidence in Brew and crew's ability to recognize a quality recruit. Following the recruiting more closely (thanks Gopherhole) this year, has allowed me to put my faith in Brew & crew's ability to recognize talent and early. Hope this makes sense.

I'm looking forward to the start of practice and the subsequent season. Now, if I could ony see the games.

Cheers,
SK Gopher

Sometimes the recruiters are going after well-known talent, sometimes they are scouting for gems that other schools missed. Both aspects are important to recruiting. Some players just don't play for schools that get a lot of scouting attention, and if you can scout well, you can really get some steals.

I don't think there is any question about the staffs ability to evaluate talent. I thought that showed through in his first year and how he adjusted the positions and playing time of certain players that were Mason players and recruits.

Mason was not a great recruiter, that is all there was to it. He was good at developing players and getting the best of their ability out of them. Brewster still has to prove he can do that. Brewster has a big advantage in the athletic ability of the players he is coaching. I hope it can translate into on field success and continued improvement.

Brewster is very confident in himself and his staff and I think they also know they can't go toe to toe with the big boys for every recruit as they may win some but they'll still lose out on a ton leaving us to scramble for plan B and C guys. Because of this they find guys they like and don't wait to pull the trigger. We've seen this happen over and over with guys who turned out to be really talented (Stoudemire, Kirskey, Edwards, Lewhan, Kevan Walker, etc)

Top Bottom