PiPress: Young Gophers certain to test patience

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Pitino is steering clear of lofty goals considering he has one of the youngest teams in the Big Ten with nine players who are freshmen or sophomores.

His only motto is: Youth won’t be an excuse.

But whether the Gophers choose to talk about it or not, it likely will be an excuse if they struggle.

“I thought my first two years were extremely critical to move the program forward,” Pitino said, “to get everybody to understand the way we’re going to play. I was such an unknown as a coach. I was only at (Florida International) for a year. Nobody really knew about us. How critical one (year) is over the other? I can’t really say. I think they’re all critical. I do know this year will be huge, and next year will be huge.”

Next season’s team will feature potential high-impact transfers Davonte Fitzgerald and Reggie Lynch, along with a top-20 recruiting class of Amir Coffey, Michael Hurt and Eric Curry, all of whom signed Wednesday.

Coffey, the state’s top senior and crown jewel of the 2016 class, said he doesn’t need to see the Gophers have a great season to feel that the program is moving forward.

“I just want them to do their best,” the four-star Hopkins guard said. “This is a young team and they might struggle a little bit, but it’s still on the rise and getting better. Things are going to happen, mistakes might happen. They might struggle, but there’s no expectation.”

http://www.wctrib.com/sports/college/3881955-mens-basketball-young-gophers-certain-test-patience

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Pitino is steering clear of lofty goals considering he has one of the youngest teams in the Big Ten with nine players who are freshmen or sophomores.

His only motto is: Youth won’t be an excuse.

But whether the Gophers choose to talk about it or not, it likely will be an excuse if they struggle.

“I thought my first two years were extremely critical to move the program forward,” Pitino said, “to get everybody to understand the way we’re going to play. I was such an unknown as a coach. I was only at (Florida International) for a year. Nobody really knew about us. How critical one (year) is over the other? I can’t really say. I think they’re all critical. I do know this year will be huge, and next year will be huge.”

Next season’s team will feature potential high-impact transfers Davonte Fitzgerald and Reggie Lynch, along with a top-20 recruiting class of Amir Coffey, Michael Hurt and Eric Curry, all of whom signed Wednesday.

Coffey, the state’s top senior and crown jewel of the 2016 class, said he doesn’t need to see the Gophers have a great season to feel that the program is moving forward.

“I just want them to do their best,” the four-star Hopkins guard said. “This is a young team and they might struggle a little bit, but it’s still on the rise and getting better. Things are going to happen, mistakes might happen. They might struggle, but there’s no expectation.”

http://www.wctrib.com/sports/college/3881955-mens-basketball-young-gophers-certain-test-patience

Go Gophers!!

Thank you for posting Bleed.
Someone help me out......with nine players who are freshmen or sophomores
Freshmen-Dorsey, McBrayer, Gilbert, Murphy
Sophomores-Mason, Konate, Diedhiou
Guessing he is counting Sharp and Lukashewich?

Top Bottom