Subtle Change in Gopher Speak

Schnoodler

Ice Cream Abuser
Reaction score
There has been a change in the way we talk about our upcoming season as compared to the past seasons. Every year lately we've been so focused on our incoming freshmen when we speak of who's going to be our big impact, and our two-three deeps. This year, we're not.

I think that says something significant about our depth. With the exception or our kicking game and HC, we've discussed the impact our incoming freshmen will have this year very little.

I was just browsing our list of freshmen, I had forgotten how impressed I was with some of the kids coming in, because we just haven't been talking about them. This excites me, as I think we can look forward to a normal development process for these kids. It can only pay off with a better stronger team in the future years. It also means that we may actually gain strength as the season wears on instead of collapsing, as the freshmen will begin to pick up snaps and make quality contributions. I like it.

Agreed! If any of the freshmen really impress and contribute, it's a bonus! :cool02:

Remember Brewster's first year 2 deeps that were announced for the first game. Freshman galore!! Yikes!

Quite frankly that's the way it's supposed to be. Redshirt all but the most talented freshmen year one contributors, typically on special teams or in a rotational position(WR,DL,RB, nickel/dimebacks)

I think many of this year's freshmen will probably be relagated to backup roles, but will still play, I'm looking for good impact type contributions on special teams especially,guys like Cooper, Watkins, Lewis, Reeves, Carter should all be able to add speed on kickoff/punt coverage.

I think this is a good sign, hopefully next year's class can take some time to mature/RS, before they are thrown into their duties.

I agree that this is a good sign. I never want to see a frosh in the 2 deep unless its because he's too talented to be kept out and not in a 'fairly talented but playing because the upperclassmen have MAC level talent' way either. The best teams have 2 deeps filled with juniors and seniors and the best of the freshmen and sophomore classes

Top Bottom