Pat Chambers-Penn St. Recruiting

coolhandgopher

Reaction score

Thanks for posting that article. I enjoyed reading it.

I have Philly roots and I had noticed that Chambers seemed to be getting numerous Philly recruits (and high rated ones lately) at a school that historically has not had many of them. His strategy is interesting but it's one that really requires some patience from the administration and fans. He still has to make it pay off on the court, but at least he's getting the talent now.

This just goes to show no major institution regardless of its lackluster basketball history is incapable of emerging as a force. You just have to get the right coach who can recruit (and hopefully coach as well).

Thanks for posting that article. I enjoyed reading it.

I have Philly roots and I had noticed that Chambers seemed to be getting numerous Philly recruits (and high rated ones lately) at a school that historically has not had many of them. His strategy is interesting but it's one that really requires some patience from the administration and fans. He still has to make it pay off on the court, but at least he's getting the talent now.

This just goes to show no major institution regardless of its lackluster basketball history is incapable of emerging as a force. You just have to get the right coach who can recruit (and hopefully coach as well).

Except for the fact that he has to coach them, they may be on the right track.

That's the key. Cal (UK) or Matta (OSU), .... get many NBA players every year but what do they do? They choke in March.

Did Penn State recruit Gilbert?

Go Gophers!!

That's the key. Cal (UK) or Matta (OSU), .... get many NBA players every year but what do they do? They choke in March.

You are poorly informed. Matta has not had a habit of getting many NBA players every year. He had one class with 3 guys who became 1st round picks (2006-07), another with 2 (2007-08), and at most one in any other year. And Cal has only been the most successful coach in terms of NCAA tournament wins since 2010, hard to do better than making the Elite 8 in 5 of 6 years and the Final 4 in 4 of those 6 years. If that's choking, I'd like to see it with my team.

Don't agree at all about Kentucky. Matta from a far to me recruits better than he coaches so I'm not sure that's choking either. But the KY idea is silly.

You have to look twice to believe it when Penn St. and Minnesota are ranked 2 and 3 for recruiting in Big Ten basketball.

Don't agree at all about Kentucky. Matta from a far to me recruits better than he coaches so I'm not sure that's choking either. But the KY idea is silly.

Yeah lol UK had a nearly undefeated season last year. That's not exactly choking.

You just had to disagree with me???? Please show me a coach whose roster is loaded with NBA players and lose in the 1st round of NIT. Also, please show me a coach who has the top 2 players (OSU) in the county and not win the NC. To me that is called choking.

About that undefeated season, SEC is being loaded with talent and top coaches. I would like to see Cal try to have that nearly undefeated season even at SEC level.

I know Richard didn't do well last year with the talent that he had but if you give him UK or OSU roster, he'll bring NC to MN.

You just had to disagree with me???? Please show me a coach whose roster is loaded with NBA players and lose in the 1st round of NIT. Also, please show me a coach who has the top 2 players (OSU) in the county and not win the NC. To me that is called choking.

About that undefeated season, SEC is being loaded with talent and top coaches. I would like to see Cal try to have that nearly undefeated season even at SEC level.

I know Richard didn't do well last year with the talent that he had but if you give him UK or OSU roster, he'll bring NC to MN.

Perhaps you missed this: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=320930096

I'm not sure which top two players you are referencing that Matta had and could not win the National Title with-Oden and Conley? As freshmen, up against the senior-laden Florida squads that produced NBA stalwarts Al Horford, Joakim Noah, and Corey Brewer? That's your argument against Matta's abilities???

[QUOTE=The
Maybe choke isn't the right word for Ohio State, perhaps underachieved would be better. Still couple final fours over the past ten years. I think Matta has struggled at times to put good four year players with the talented one and done's that he's recruited. Kentucky chocked last year against Wisconsin, but I would absoloutly take the success they have had since Cal took over. I would also be just fine with what Tubby did at that program too, if we could have a ten year run like that. I still think Cal's best team was his first one with Wall and Cousins. Proves you don't always win with your most talented roster.

Yes, I do have to disagree with you because you've let your petty and juvenile hatred and jealousy overcome all rationality.

Oh, boy, where to start? Calipari has taken three different schools to the final four and one was UMass - not exactly a basketball powerhouse. Yes, he is a phenomenal recruiter (possibly the best ever) but, because of that, he has undoubtedly the highest roster turnover from early entry of any major college coach in history. To go undefeated is quite an accomplishment for any team playing in a power conference and although his roster was loaded, it was predominately freshmen and sophs. They lost to one of the most veteran teams in the nation last year (with two, and maybe three eventually, first rounders, another player who has a good shot to be drafted within the next two years, and an undrafted backup (Duje Dukan) who is now on the Sacramento Kings roster). That team, as you recall, also dominated the Big Ten.

As far as losing in the first round of the NIT, that was his least successful and talented team at KY and it was playing without its star, Nerlins Noel. It was also the team that followed the national champion team that had 6 players (count 'em 6!) leave for the draft. Recall that one of the most respected BB coaches in history, Coach K, had two of his #2 seeds lose in the first round of the NCAA to #15 seeds, Mercer and Lehigh, over the last four years.

Richard Pitino, on the other hand, has compiled a historical record so far of having a surprising NIT champion in his first year here followed by a very disappointing season where his team significantly underperformed most expectations.

Petty and juvenile???? With this tone, I would have to say that you just finished High school???? You must be among 1% in the country who think that Cal deserves to have the previous FFs back. Have you heard of WWW??? That's Cal's recruiting. Now, if that's my petty, I live with it. Like coach Knight said, I can't believe that guy is still coaching as much he cheats. When you grow up, you will realize that Wall Street is also a scam. Maybe that is my jealousy too?????

The Maybe choke isn't the right word for Ohio State said:
I would add that, although Matta is a very good recruiter, he does face some of the same roster turnover problems that the highest level recruiters face. Bo Ryan is a great coach but he has also benefitted from being able to field a seasoned team that is more physically mature than Matta's roster and knows how to play in his system.

I would also say that Matta's players have, for the most part, performed below expectations at the next level. Mike Conley clearly has been the best. Evan Turner is OK but his career has been a real disappointment for a #2 pick. Oden was a complete bust because of medical reasons. Byron Mullens was awful in the NBA. Deaquan Cook did nothing. Sullinger is decent but somewhat limited. Too early to tell about Russell but he's not starting out with a bang. One of his less heralded players, Kosta Koufos, has managed to develop into a pretty decent backup center.

Very interesting article. Not sure how this thread devolved into a pissing match about Calipari and Matta.

My point was that players need to be coached otherwise they would play like NBA players with no discipline.

Petty and juvenile???? With this tone, I would have to say that you just finished High school???? You must be among 1% in the country who think that Cal deserves to have the previous FFs back. Have you heard of WWW??? That's Cal's recruiting. Now, if that's my petty, I live with it. Like coach Knight said, I can't believe that guy is still coaching as much he cheats. When you grow up, you will realize that Wall Street is also a scam. Maybe that is my jealousy too?????

Grow up? I'm pushing 60 and my educational level is well beyond high school (PhD in a financial field by the way so your comments about my likely financial ignorance are also hilarious). The infractions that occurred at UMass and Memphis were either pretty minor, i.e., Derrick Rose's brother allowed to travel free with the team (nothing like what went on at UNC or here under Clem) or things where Calipari was found to have no involvement (Marcus Camby taking money from an agent or the unproven claim of Derrick Rose's alleged hiring of someone to take his college boards).

I called you a petty and juvenile ignoramus because you revealed that and if you keep trying to tangle with me you'll just validate my claim even further.

You never know about GH. A guy with a PhD in Finance defends Cal. Sounds fishy to me :)

Top Bottom