Mbakwe

Plinnius

Reaction score
It's Charley Walters, so the usual caveats apply. According to Walters:

Incoming Gophers basketball transfer Trevor Mbakwe still has to become academically eligible for next season.

Is this anything to worry about?

I must admit, I'm a little surprised by this news (if true). I was under the impression that Rodney was the only recruit who was in any kind of potential difficulty when it came to being eligible for next year.

I had also heard a rumor that Trevor is a pretty good student, both in high school and at Marquette. That was nothing more than a rumor however and could be wrong. But if that rumor is also true, I wonder what the hold up could be. Does anybody know anything about this?

I Have No Idea

Sometimes the issue with JuCo transfers is getting their grades to transfer and be accepted.

I'll get killed for posting this but I'm gonna post it anyway since I consider anything someone puts on their facebook to be open to the public:

Trevor's current facebook update reads: "I believe in karma but damn whats it called when u actually aint doin nothin in bad shit still happens?"

His gf/fiance has a replied directly to this with this comment: "who are u tlking about bc the person i kno did do something bad... so thats prob why bad stuff is happening to him."

This doesn't sound like it has to do with grades but it does sound like it fits with the rumors that were going around a few weeks back about Trevor being in trouble.

I had also heard a rumor that Trevor is a pretty good student, both in high school and at Marquette. That was nothing more than a rumor however and could be wrong. But if that rumor is also true, I wonder what the hold up could be. Does anybody know anything about this?

I am not sure this is true, particularly the part about his HS academics. I do not believe he was eligibile as a freshman as a result of academics. He finished his HS career at a small school (St. Bernards), which I think was an attempt to improve his grades. At Marquette, I think he did fine once he got in, but the clearinghouse did not let him through until well into the school year. I believe it was late October of his freshman year in Milwaukee before he was eligible.

I am not sure this is true, particularly the part about his HS academics. I do not believe he was eligibile as a freshman as a result of academics. He finished his HS career at a small school (St. Bernards), which I think was an attempt to improve his grades. At Marquette, I think he did fine once he got in, but the clearinghouse did not let him through until well into the school year. I believe it was late October of his freshman year in Milwaukee before he was eligible.

You could well be correct. I don't have any credible information either way.

As to his and/or his girlfriend's status on facebook, I don't take those things too seriously. They change moment to moment and are often far to vague to mean much of anything unless you are a member of the person's inner circle.

If there is actually a problem, we'll eventually find out about it either way. But the way Walters made it sound, it is an academic problem, which I was surprised about. In any case, the whispers (or shouts if you will :p) about Trevor's "problems" are apparently going to continue.

Privacy issues prohibit Charley from viewing the player's transcript, so I wonder who he's using as a source. Mbakwe has to bring with him a completed associates degree (60 hours) to be eligible. If he's not finishing up summer courses this week, the issue should already be decided.

I hope everything is fine he was a monster at the Pulley league tonite. Smoked his elbow half way up the backboard while going up.

Was fine after and played very well inside tonite.

Trevor is not the most gifted, nor the most motivated, student. The Sibley folks spent tons of time assisting him with his school work to keep him on track. Which is why they were so upset when he transferred to St. Bernards for senior year. His grades at St. Bernards were remarkably higher than at Sibley.

Trevor was not keeping academic pace at Marquette. It is doubtful he would remained eligible there (at least in the longer term) Conjecture is that is why he hustled back from injury to play in just a few games, rather than take a medical redshirt.

This is information that I have heard directly from students at Sibley/Marquette. Take it for what it is worth.

Sports reporting at its finest. Careful of the one sentence statements which do not give details. Tubby stated (according to another thread) that he has one more class to finish, but does not expect any problems.

Wow - how we all jump to conclusions! I heard from a very good source, that as calinminnfan said, there is one more class that has to clear, and that will happen as soon as their summer session ends down there. From what I was told, I don't think he's still even finishing it, just waiting for this session to end to make it official.

Look at Hayo Carpenter on the Football side (another JUCO), he just got to campus and football starts a lot sooner than basketball. There's plenty of time, and my guess is, there is nothing to worry about.

I have no idea what Trevor's transcripts look like, or what kind of grades he's received. But just from his written and verbal communication, he's in the top 10% of recruits I've dealt with.

>>...just from his written and verbal communication, he's in the top 10% of recruits I've dealt with.<<

That's a very good sign, although the smoothest talkers can occasionally be the least disciplined students.

From the facebook, it sounds like he has a non-academic issue. His GF is not letting him off the hook. Whatever it is, good for her.

So Trevor Hardly Made Through HS?

Trevor is not the most gifted, nor the most motivated, student. The Sibley folks spent tons of time assisting him with his school work to keep him on track. Which is why they were so upset when he transferred to St. Bernards for senior year. His grades at St. Bernards were remarkably higher than at Sibley.

Trevor was not keeping academic pace at Marquette. It is doubtful he would remained eligible there (at least in the longer term) Conjecture is that is why he hustled back from injury to play in just a few games, rather than take a medical redshirt.

This is information that I have heard directly from students at Sibley/Marquette. Take it for what it is worth.

Why is a guy who can hardly make it through high school going to college?

Top Bottom