SW MN STATE IN GAME THREAD - COURTSIDE REPORTERS WELCOME!!!!

Reaction score
Any Gopher reporters on site to report some anticipated progress in Exhibition #2?

Diedhiou got hurt. Didn't look bad, got up and walked off the court on his own. Gilbert finished an and-1 earlier. 6-13 from 3 as a team, Mason and King have shot well. I think Mason has been the only one to play point so far, maybe a very little bit of McBrayer.

King with 14 points, 0 rebounds
Morris 15 points, 2 rebounds
Mason 7 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists
Murphy scoreless (Think he might have picked up 2 quick fouls)
Buggs scoreless also, 1 rebound and 2 fouls also
Out rebounded team wise 22-12 from what the stats say
2 offensive rebounds for the Gophers vs 12 for SW

I will say having tickets this year with seat backs has been very pleasant. Thinking about investing in a butt pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diedhiou got hurt. Didn't look bad, got up and walked off the court on his own. Gilbert finished an and-1 earlier. 6-13 from 3 as a team, Mason and King have shot well. I think Mason has been the only one to play point so far, maybe a very little bit of McBrayer.

Diedhiou is participating in halftime warmups, he's fine.

Gophers really efficient at the charity stripe tonight so far. 21-25

73-58 with under 5 minutes to go

Augustana beat Iowa 76-74 at the buzzer in an exhibition game tonight.

Hey Richard Coffey, could you please come down to practice and teach these young men how to position, block out, time, jump and grasp!!!!

Nate looks like he worked on dribbling and finishing with his left hand this summer. He should have a big year.

Gophers win 81-64
Morris with 24 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists
King 17 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist
Mason 14 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists
Murphy 8 points, 4 rebounds, 0 assists
Diedhiou 6 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist
McBrayer 4 points, 2 rebounds, 5 assists
Gilbert 6 points, 3 rebounds, 0 assists
Buggs 0 points, 2 rebounds, 0 assists
Sharp 3 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists

Gophers 28 rebounds, 4 offensive
SW 41 rebounds 19 offensive
Gophers shot 24-47, 8-22 from 3
16 assists, 11 turnovers, 4 blocks
25-32 from the line

http://www.gophersports.com/gametra...ol=minn&sport=whockey&camefrom=&startschool=&

SW was a big team, maybe not so tall but burly and physical - they looked more like a wrestling team, and I half expected their guys to go for a pin at center court. The rebounding differential was all offensive, which was helped by their poor shooting. They paid the price for mauling our players at the charity strip (we shot about a hundred more free throws than they did and made a shocking % of them). Buggs had two fouls in breathtaking speed, first a charge and then over the back and was quickly benched.

They were white - very white. They had only one black guy, but they didn't give him a uniform so that limited his minutes.
Also - they were their own cheer squad - chanting "DE-fense!" in practiced unison.

Gophers never looked particularly concerned about their opponent. It looked like what it was - a practice game. They seemed set on working on their game. Murphy looked good, Gilbert has looked a bit better each outing. McBrayer is coming along. Mason has some of the prettiest soft rolls at the rim - great control. We're going to love this guy.

Mitch Weg (6'7") 10 rebounds
Carter Kirk (6'8") 6 rebounds
Ryan Bruggeman (6'0") 5 rebounds point guard
Turner Moen (6'4") 5 rebounds

Those guys where huge, need a PED post game test.

Murphy has to take mins from Buggs at the 3, Gilbert might be turn out good, but has some learning as expected.

McB reminders me of Austin, tons of talent, shows it in stints of brilliance with somewhat quiet but impressive athletic ability. Really like that he can actually play 3 positions and look comfortable (thru far, at least).

SW was a big team, maybe not so tall but burly and physical - they looked more like a wrestling team, and I half expected their guys to go for a pin at center court. The rebounding differential was all offensive, which was helped by their poor shooting. They paid the price for mauling our players at the charity strip (we shot about a hundred more free throws than they did and made a shocking % of them). Buggs had two fouls in breathtaking speed, first a charge and then over the back and was quickly benched.

They were white - very white. They had only one black guy, but they didn't give him a uniform so that limited his minutes.
Also - they were their own cheer squad - chanting "DE-fense!" in practiced unison.

Gophers never looked particularly concerned about their opponent. It looked like what it was - a practice game. They seemed set on working on their game. Murphy looked good, Gilbert has looked a bit better each outing. McBrayer is coming along. Mason has some of the prettiest soft rolls at the rim - great control. We're going to love this guy.

I figure Pitino said something to this effect when he pulled Buggs: "Next time try to do something right out there." Charles just didn't do anything right tonight.

Not an impressive performance tonight. Rebounding and defense were not there. When I saw the Mustang wrestling team warm up, I predicted they'd out-rebound our guys, and sure enough.

Southwest State could beat plenty of D1 teams.

Murphy continues to not look like a freshman. He's put together, and he's calm and smooth.

Mason must have been our leading rebounder.

When Gaston went down with his turned ankle, Pitino turned around and looked at his bench, and I almost laughed out loud. I KNOW he was thinking, "Oh, that's right; I don't have anyone."

McBrayer had a tough night shooting, but he still did some nice things out there.

Speaking of Gaston, he was getting moved around handily out there. He just doesn't have the strength, beef and balance he needs to succeed. He can move, though. He scored on a really nice cut to the basket, and he was going fast.

Thanks for all the first hand reports, they are much appreciated. For those of us out of state, or those who missed the game, BTN will broadcast this game at 8 AM Sunday. I have my DVR set!

SMSU has some talent. I've covered several of their players in HS.
But the Gophers have to be concerned about getting out-rebounded 41-28 by a D2 school. SMWU had 19 offensive rebounds to 4 by Gophers. Defensive rebounding had Gophers 24 & SMSU 22. Nate Mason led Gophers with 7 rebounds (2 off). Jordan Murphy and Diedhiou each had 4 rebounds.

FT shooting had Gophs 25 of 32; SMSU 5-5. FG shooting Gophers 24 of 47 (51%) 8 of 22 on 3's. Joey King 5 of 7 on 3's; rest of Gophers 3 of 15.
SMSU FG's 25 of 68 (37%) 9 of 34 on 3's. Turnovers SMSU 17, Gophs 11. Steals Gophers 10, SMSU 3. Blocked Shots Gophers 4, SMSU 0.

Thanks for all the first hand reports, they are much appreciated. For those of us out of state, or those who missed the game, BTN will broadcast this game at 8 AM Sunday. I have my DVR set!

Thanks

SMSU has some talent. I've covered several of their players in HS.
But the Gophers have to be concerned about getting out-rebounded 41-28 by a D2 school. SMWU had 19 offensive rebounds to 4 by Gophers. Defensive rebounding had Gophers 24 & SMSU 22. Nate Mason led Gophers with 7 rebounds (2 off). Jordan Murphy and Diedhiou each had 4 rebounds.

FT shooting had Gophs 25 of 32; SMSU 5-5. FG shooting Gophers 24 of 47 (51%) 8 of 22 on 3's. Joey King 5 of 7 on 3's; rest of Gophers 3 of 15.
SMSU FG's 25 of 68 (37%) 9 of 34 on 3's. Turnovers SMSU 17, Gophs 11. Steals Gophers 10, SMSU 3. Blocked Shots Gophers 4, SMSU 0.

I thought neither rebounds nor free throws were stats of any importance. How EFFICIENT were they?

Nobody saying much about Morris. 7-9 from the field with his 2 misses being 3 point attempts. 8-9 from the line. Only 1 turnover. I'm going to take the silence as a good thing. He must have made good decisions.

Or for those who went deer hunting. Actually I already had one before the game started. Left front of the car on the way to Williams. &%&$#@ Bambi's. Worse yet, haven't heard a shot this morning as everybody heads north so they can bond in deer camps.

Back to the game. I don't care how big and burly they were. We are going to have some god awful losses on nights we're not hitting. BIG teams are full of big physical guys. Plus, they'll be tougher to turn over.

Nobody saying much about Morris. 7-9 from the field with his 2 misses being 3 point attempts. 8-9 from the line. Only 1 turnover. I'm going to take the silence as a good thing. He must have made good decisions.

I can only recall Carlos taking one ill-advised shot (one of his three-pointers) and no bad decisions. He and Mason decided in the 2nd half that they could get to the basket at will and draw contact, and that's what they did.

It doesn't take a crystal ball to tell that rebounding again will be an achilles heel. It's not overall rebounding numbers its getting the BIG rebounds at the end of games. Gaston while having decent size, its mostly above the waist. He tends to run strangely and I wonder if that affects his balance. We overplay on defense by design and give up inside rebounding position. Jury is still out if this type of style can win consistently in the big ten. Nwanko would have helped, as will having BK back. Frankly the difference between us and Iowa the last few years has been effective size and strength.

Not an impressive performance tonight. Rebounding and defense were not there. When I saw the Mustang wrestling team warm up, I predicted they'd out-rebound our guys, and sure enough.

Speaking of Gaston, he was getting moved around handily out there. He just doesn't have the strength, beef and balance he needs to succeed. He can move, though. He scored on a really nice cut to the basket, and he was going fast.

Top Bottom