Gopher Women BB In Season Thread 2015-2016

station19

Reaction score
BANHAM NAMED TOP 25 PLAYER BY ESPNW

11456305.jpeg

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/110415aaa.html

Be interesting to see what the transfers/new additions bring.

They will be playing an up tempo style and should have an excellent back court. They have a big ? at center so hopefully the new transfers step up.

Man, I hope they make it to the NCAA tourney. Would be just a crime if a player of her caliber never got to play in one game.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...asketball-banham-returns-fellow-scorer-wagner

Marcus Fuller on the Banham/Wagner tandem:

For the first time in Banham's career, she'll be playing with another guard who can light it up: Wagner.

"We both can score," Banham said. "I think we both can get 20 points a game if we want. We hit a lot of threes, so that's just a lot of scoring in general. Being back on the court with Carlie, I think we just work really well together."

Ohio State was one of the top teams in the Big Ten last season with conference co-player of the year Kelsey Mitchell and Alston Ameryst averaging 23 points and 19 points in the backcourt, respectively. Outside of that tandem, Banham (18.6) and Wagner (12.1) have the highest combined scoring average of any two returning guards in the Big Ten.

http://www.startribune.com/stolling...eup-for-gophers-women-s-basketball/347338571/

No, I still don't no who will start at center.

“Even our posts can shoot the three,” said Wagner, who averaged 12.1 points last year for a team that set a program record by making 214 three-point shots. “When all five people on the floor can shoot, that’s going to be hard to guard. We’re going to be playing a lot higher pace with a lot more three-point shots.”

Five of the Gophers’ newcomers — three centers and two forwards — did not arrive on campus until September and still are learning their way around the program. Junior-college transfers Karley Barnes, a 6-3 center, and Kynadi Johnson, a 6-1 forward, have had their integration slowed by injuries.

Stollings anticipates a lively competition among the other three for the vacancy left by Zahui. Danielle Garven, the first high school player signed by Stollings, has played for Canada in the under-16 and under-17 world championships; an excellent three-point shooter, the 6-1 forward can play inside or outside.

Jessie Edwards and Annalesse Lamke both are 6-3 centers who were signed in mid-July. Stollings said Lamke’s style of play has been compared to former Gopher Janel McCarville, and Edwards is another versatile player who brings international experience. While Stollings expects one of them to be named the starting center, none has locked up the spot yet — creating a healthy competition she views as beneficial to her team

Jessie Edwards was the player guest last night on the Marlene Stollings coaches show. She noted that, in Australia, she played in the WBNL with former Gopher Zoe Harper. And that she also played against Katie Loberg.

I didn’t realize that after a couple years out of basketball Katie took up Harper on an offer to play in Australia. I found this article written by Katie last September explaining her return to the court. Connections are so cool.

http://ddrifter.com/2015/09/29/basketball-in-australia-my-end-of-season-accolades/

In the spring of 2013 I vowed to give up basketball for good.

A series of injuries and a collegiate experience that ended in less than joyous times caused me to throw in the towel for what I thought was forever. My body and mind were aching and I wanted out.

I never watched another game (aside from my former boss, Karen, sharing incredible court side seats for a few Minnesota Lynx games) for nearly two years. It was a shame considering this was a game I grew up loving since I was so young.

Deep down I understood there was more my body had to give; untapped potential I was afraid would never be reached. Which is precisely why I was so quick to say “YES!” to an offer from an old college teammate to play basketball in a league down in Australia

Interesting on Zoe Harper. I never thought Borton did a very good job of coaching her up

Jessie Edwards was the player guest last night on the Marlene Stollings coaches show. She noted that, in Australia, she played in the WBNL with former Gopher Zoe Harper. And that she also played against Katie Loberg.

I didn’t realize that after a couple years out of basketball Katie took up Harper on an offer to play in Australia. I found this article written by Katie last September explaining her return to the court. Connections are so cool.

http://ddrifter.com/2015/09/29/basketball-in-australia-my-end-of-season-accolades/

In the spring of 2013 I vowed to give up basketball for good.

A series of injuries and a collegiate experience that ended in less than joyous times caused me to throw in the towel for what I thought was forever. My body and mind were aching and I wanted out.

I never watched another game (aside from my former boss, Karen, sharing incredible court side seats for a few Minnesota Lynx games) for nearly two years. It was a shame considering this was a game I grew up loving since I was so young.

Deep down I understood there was more my body had to give; untapped potential I was afraid would never be reached. Which is precisely why I was so quick to say “YES!” to an offer from an old college teammate to play basketball in a league down in Australia

Thanks, ILH. I would guess Katie Loberg isn't the only Gopher that experienced "less than joyous times" playing for Borton. So many of her seniors seemed to regress their final year. They looked like it wasn't fun at all. Glad Loberg found happiness playing basketball again.

Top Bottom