Reusse: Don't give the U's athletic director job to Goetz or Kill

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

The idea that an administrator with a modest résumé and hired by a disgraced athletic director could be considered a serious candidate to become the leader of the University of Minnesota’s athletic department is preposterous on its face.

Just because that previously low-profile administrator happens to be a woman could cause the university’s cowering president, Eric Kaler, to do exactly that, and to give the athletic director’s job to Beth Goetz, the interim since Norwood Teague resigned on Aug. 7.

There is nothing in Goetz’s background to suggest her application for a job as daunting as being fully in charge of Gophers athletics would get a second look, if she had not been conveniently on hand when Teague’s indiscretions were revealed.

And when forced into public view in her three months on the job, Goetz has captured the moments as a deer does headlights.

http://www.startribune.com/scratch-two-off-gophers-athletic-director-search-list/340555911/

Go Gophers!!

There's no way Kill is or should be a candidate for the AD job, so that's a moot point.

The decision whether to keep Goetz on as permanent AD or hire someone currently outside the department is where Kaler's gonna' have to earn his big paycheck. The timing of this particular hire:

(1) Football coach just stepped down;

(2) Unproven basketball coach (though recruiting appears on the upswing) in 3rd year but now starting over;

(3) Hockey program underachieving nationally;

(4) Funding for athletic facilities; and

(5) The Title IX BS. ...

makes it one of the most important hires the athletic department has faced in quite some time. After failing miserably and hiring Vanilla 7 Guru/Boner Boy as his AD, Kaler needs to get this one right.

Somewhere out there has to be Minnesota's future Mark Hollis (MSU) or Pat Richter (Wisconsin), right?

After an article like this Kaler should revoke Reusse's media access to any and all U events. This was completely an uncalled for article when, for all anyone knows, the decision on hiring an Athletic director isn't happening soon. Unprovoked attacks on the U's decision making process and negative articles in general do nothing but turn good Minnesotans into Wisconsin fans.

to counter Ruessee's later arguments about needing a "Minnesota guy" this is what got Michigan into trouble with football for 10 or so years after Lloyd Carr got fired(forced resignation). They needed a Michigan man and so they didn't give Rich Rod a chance with his own recruits(and subsequently got lucky with Harbough taking the job). Also i don't understand why Ruessee was taking shots at Jerry Kill. Does Ruessee think he runs the athletic department at MN?

After an article like this Kaler should revoke Reusse's media access to any and all U events. This was completely an uncalled for article when, for all anyone knows, the decision on hiring an Athletic director isn't happening soon. Unprovoked attacks on the U's decision making process and negative articles in general do nothing but turn good Minnesotans into Wisconsin fans.

to counter Ruessee's later arguments about needing a "Minnesota guy" this is what got Michigan into trouble with football for 10 or so years after Lloyd Carr got fired(forced resignation). They needed a Michigan man and so they didn't give Rich Rod a chance with his own recruits(and subsequently got lucky with Harbough taking the job). Also i don't understand why Ruessee was taking shots at Jerry Kill. Does Ruessee think he runs the athletic department at MN?

It is not the media's responsibility to be a shill for the university. I don't know if Goetz/Kill is the right person for the job or not, but he certainly doesn't need to apologize to the university or the people of Minnesota for providing an opinion.

His endorsement at the end of the article, is Craig Thompson Mountain West commissioner. A quick search for his present salary looked like it is just under 600,000. Teague was at 400,000 when he took the job in 2012. Imagine it was higher by 2015.

Whether or not to elevate Goetz permanently should have nothing to do with who hired her.

per Pat:

The idea that an administrator with a modest résumé and hired by a disgraced athletic director could be considered a serious candidate to become the leader of the University of Minnesota’s athletic department is preposterous on its face.

Just because that previously low-profile administrator happens to be a woman could cause the university’s cowering president, Eric Kaler, to do exactly that, and to give the athletic director’s job to Beth Goetz, the interim since Norwood Teague resigned on Aug. 7.

There is nothing in Goetz’s background to suggest her application for a job as daunting as being fully in charge of Gophers athletics would get a second look, if she had not been conveniently on hand when Teague’s indiscretions were revealed.

And when forced into public view in her three months on the job, Goetz has captured the moments as a deer does headlights.

http://www.startribune.com/scratch-two-off-gophers-athletic-director-search-list/340555911/

Go Gophers!!

Replace "Athletic Director" with "Head Football Coach" and these exact same arguments could be used against Tracy Claeys. Nothing in his background suggest his application for a job as daunting as head football coach in the Big Ten would get a second look: 5 years D1 experience as a coordinator of a (mostly) losing B1G team, defenses never finished year higher than middle of the pack in conference play, no prior head coaching experience, etc, etc. When forced in to public view, Claeys certainly captured moments as "deer does headlights" with the final 19 seconds of the Michigan game being the most glaring example. It's kind of hard to reconcile Patrick asking for Claeys to be head football coach in one article and for Goetz not to be athletic director in the next one.

This is the first time I've ever fully agreed with Reusse.

I don't have a clue who the university should hire....that being said, the only articles reusse gets any clicks on are the ones he's being a pompous ass....he's not a good reporter and i think everyone knows that.. his only articles are ones where he is the unpopulor opinon...could i do better...probably if i had a star tribune job and the access he gets....and i'm young enough where i don't know if he actually used to have legitimate articles but cmon man you sound like an arrogant old prick

I think Goetz deserves the job and will get the job.

Why do you think she deserves it? What exactly has she done? I honestly don't know. I don't see how the public would possibly know. Should she be considered? Why not? There's nothing wrong with evaluating how she has done at Minnesota and waiting to see how she does as interim. Doesn't mean we can't still actively look either (just please not with the same firm)

Replace "Athletic Director" with "Head Football Coach" and these exact same arguments could be used against Tracy Claeys. Nothing in his background suggest his application for a job as daunting as head football coach in the Big Ten would get a second look: 5 years D1 experience as a coordinator of a (mostly) losing B1G team, defenses never finished year higher than middle of the pack in conference play, no prior head coaching experience, etc, etc. When forced in to public view, Claeys certainly captured moments as "deer does headlights" with the final 19 seconds of the Michigan game being the most glaring example. It's kind of hard to reconcile Patrick asking for Claeys to be head football coach in one article and for Goetz not to be athletic director in the next one.

This makes sense but it also has the same main flaw that Reusse's argument has: it focuses only on the past, which was performing a different job. Let's see how they both do in their tryout for the actual job. If either of them do a great job, their resume is meaningless at this point.

Why do you think she deserves it? What exactly has she done? I honestly don't know. I don't see how the public would possibly know. Should she be considered? Why not? There's nothing wrong with evaluating how she has done at Minnesota and waiting to see how she does as interim. Doesn't mean we can't still actively look either (just please not with the same firm)

+1

Associate AD | UMN | 2013-2015
Associate AD | Butler University | 2008-2013
Assistant AD & Head Women's Soccer Coach | University of Missouri-St. Louis | 1997-2008

So 17 years of experience at this point assisting in the running of an athletic department. She's taking over as AD here in the midst of a Title IX investigation, scandal w/ previous AD, and the mid-season resigning of the head football coach. If she can lead us through all that relatively unscathed (and make no mistake, she is leading us) she should absolutely get the job. Everyone in the athletics department likes her, she has a great reputation for being competent, hard working, easy to work with, etc. She played a huge part in making sure we broke ground on the practice facility which was by no means a sure thing in August.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be considering anyone else, but I'd rather role the dice on someone who knows the department, has consistently proven herself to be a high performer, and has the support of the coaches etc than bring in someone who's been an AD at a smaller school or got driven out at a big school. If a candidate comes along with experience successfully running a P5 AD my tune might change but I'm not aware of anyone like that.

Kill should not be the AD. No experience, can't handle the pressure, not familiar with any other sport, etc.

Goetz is a very serious candidate. There are way to many sexist remarks about her gender. Isn't it common knowledge that she was running a lot of the programs behind the scenes? No on acknowledges her impact in getting the athletic village approved. NT was charging ahead with a plan that was not going to get approved. Once Beth stepped in she had the wisdom to understand that it wouldn't work until the plan took care of the track people who were being ignored. She postponed the vote and got a plan that included the track. That new adjusted plan was passed by the board. Of course, she is lacking some experience of being the top dog, but she does understand how the job should be done.

NT was a prime example of a small program hot shot that didn't know what it takes to run a top tier program. The next AD needs to have experience at a top tier program and understand the in and outs. I would much rather get the top assistant at a top tier program than the AD of a small program.

Also people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NT was a prime example of a small program hot shot that didn't know what it takes to run a top tier program. The next AD needs to have experience at a top tier program and understand the in and outs. I would much rather get the top assistant at a top tier program than the AD of a small program.

You do realize that Teague was the top assistant at North Carolina for 5 years (13 total years of "top tier" experience) before going to VCU, correct?

Claeys won four straight Big Ten gams as the interim head coach. There is a body of work besides last week. And for some strange reason we were 10 point dogs in all four including the Indiana game

Associate AD | UMN | 2013-2015
Associate AD | Butler University | 2008-2013
Assistant AD & Head Women's Soccer Coach | University of Missouri-St. Louis | 1997-2008

So 17 years of experience at this point assisting in the running of an athletic department. She's taking over as AD here in the midst of a Title IX investigation, scandal w/ previous AD, and the mid-season resigning of the head football coach. If she can lead us through all that relatively unscathed (and make no mistake, she is leading us) she should absolutely get the job. Everyone in the athletics department likes her, she has a great reputation for being competent, hard working, easy to work with, etc. She played a huge part in making sure we broke ground on the practice facility which was by no means a sure thing in August.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be considering anyone else, but I'd rather role the dice on someone who knows the department, has consistently proven herself to be a high performer, and has the support of the coaches etc than bring in someone who's been an AD at a smaller school or got driven out at a big school. If a candidate comes along with experience successfully running a P5 AD my tune might change but I'm not aware of anyone like that.

Fair enough. I still think it's really hard for us to evaluate, although I don't know if you're possibly getting some information from someone close to the department. Either way, hopefully we do a thorough search and if it turns out she's the best candidate, I assume that means she's done a great job (although I'm skeptical of any hire at the U of M where it's tough for the public to evaluate).

Kill should not be the AD. No experience, can't handle the pressure, not familiar with any other sport, etc.

Goetz is a very serious candidate. There are way to many sexist remarks about her gender. Isn't it common knowledge that she was running a lot of the programs behind the scenes? No on acknowledges her impact in getting the athletic village approved. NT was charging ahead with a plan that was not going to get approved. Once Beth stepped in she had the wisdom to understand that it wouldn't work until the plan took care of the track people who were being ignored. She postponed the vote and got a plan that included the track. That new adjusted plan was passed by the board. Of course, she is lacking some experience of being the top dog, but she does understand how the job should be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice summation. Statements like, "If her name was Ben," are typical of the level of bufoonery around here. She's the assistant AD for cripes sake. Of course, she's going to be considered.

Brad Stevens had glowing remarks for the job that Goetz did at Butler. I trust him and the coaches at the U who support her much more than I trust Rolls Reusse.

Top Bottom