CFN Gopher Preview

JPIIGopher

Reaction score
http://cfn.scout.com/2/880920.html

Overall Pete thinks we are headed in the right direction and see reasons for Gopher optimism. A couple of interesting notes:

He has Senior Lee Campbell listed as our best D player. It would be great to see him have a monster year.

Marqueis Gray is really creating a buzz. He is listed as our third best player and hasn't even taken a live game snap!

Interesting stat from 2008, Penalties: Minnesota 83 for 695 yards, opponents 55 for 435 yards. This is one of the biggest flaws for us under Brew. We seems to lack discipline, I would love to see this stat reversed this year!

I agree about the penalties, we had way too many late hit personal fouls last season.

the preview could use some work

How many times did they refer to Decker as a Junior? Kim Royston is not a senior. Broderick Smith hasn't been on the team in quite a while. All these players who could see significant playing time are missing: Eric Lair, Tim Dandridge, Ra'Shede Hageman, Michael Carter, Hayo Carpenter, Bryant Allen, Dan Orseske.

How many times did they refer to Decker as a Junior? Kim Royston is not a senior. Broderick Smith hasn't been on the team in quite a while. All these players who could see significant playing time are missing: Eric Lair, Tim Dandridge, Ra'Shede Hageman, Michael Carter, Hayo Carpenter, Bryant Allen, Dan Orseske.

Despite getting published today it's pretty obvious this was written a while ago.

Despite getting published today it's pretty obvious this was written a while ago.

I really like CFN's previews and for the most part I think they show alot of research and work, and every year there are errors because they write them early and then slowly release them through the summer. Also, I don't think they ever take incoming recruits into account because they are unknown quantities.

I thought it was a pretty good preview and a fairly positive outlook.

I really like CFN's previews and for the most part I think they show alot of research and work, and every year there are errors because they write them early and then slowly release them through the summer. Also, I don't think they ever take incoming recruits into account because they are unknown quantities.

I thought it was a pretty good preview and a fairly positive outlook.

I agree. I think it was a very fair assessment. Having watched so many "worst-case scenarios" regarding Gopher football over the years, I am pretty nervous about the season. But, if things actually go "best-case" for a change, it could be a really fun year in the new stadium.

I agree about the penalties, we had way too many late hit personal fouls last season.

One of the worst things to see is when you get a stop on third down, only to give the opponent a free first down because someone didn't have the self-discipline to not deliver the late hit. The best revenge is winning. Conversely, I love it when players have the self-discipline not to hit back when someone takes a cheap shot at them. That way, we get 15 free yards versus offsetting penalties. Take one for the team.

One of the worst things to see is when you get a stop on third down, only to give the opponent a free first down because someone didn't have the self-discipline to not deliver the late hit. The best revenge is winning. Conversely, I love it when players have the self-discipline not to hit back when someone takes a cheap shot at them. That way, we get 15 free yards versus offsetting penalties. Take one for the team.

To be honest, Brock was one of the worst offenders in terms of late hits/ out of bounds hits so maybe those will slow down a bit now. (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean I think that we are better off without him on the squad)

In the weakness section of the Db review, this was cold, funny, but very cold>
"and Wisconsin, whose quarterbacks couldn’t hit water if they fell out of the boat and were throwing passes at the bottom of a lake, threw for 242 yards and a score"

Also, wasn't Decker drafted by the Twins and not the Brewers?

Another thing is his comments about Stoudemire were focused on the STs, which is not necessarily wrong, but he is going to be a playmaker anywhere he plays, especially at WR and should have some mention there as well!

It was the Twins this year and, I think, the Brewers last year.

Thanks, given all the info, it would probably due them well to have a final proofreading and update before publishing the specific schools, but given the work they put in and the comments which suggest they actually do scout the teams they are writing about rather then read off stat sheets and build off of other columnists, I have no problem giving them a pass on having a little old info.

Top Bottom