STrib: Konate expected to play in Nov. 13 opener

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Minnesota will need starting center Bakary Konate, and although Richard Pitino says he'll hold him out of Friday's final scrimmage, the coach is optimistic the Gophers will have their big man at the start of the regular season, he said on Sunday after the 74-57 win.

"Hopefully after Friday we can gear him up for next week and get him in shape because we need him," Pitino said. "I think you can get away with it early, playing small, but you can’t get away with that in the Big Ten obviously."

Asked whether he expects him to play in the opener, which comes vs. Missouri-Kansas City on Nov. 13, Pitino said "I hope so, yeah. I think all signs point to that."

Konate said the boot was taken off his left foot on Thursday and since then he's been allowed to ride the stationery bike and shoot without jumping. This week he will begin some dribbling work, he said, moving his feet more on the court.

"No pain, but the doctor says I have to be patient," Konate said. "This kind of stuff can come back quick."

http://www.startribune.com/konate-expected-to-play-in-nov-13-opener/339180751/

Go Gophers!!

They need to be conservative with him. This is the type of thing that can slow him all year if they don't let it heal once and for all.

They need to be conservative with him. This is the type of thing that can slow him all year if they don't let it heal once and for all.

+ one million. It is a long, long season and foot injuries linger. Pitino said it in his quote they need him just to be competitive in the Big Ten.

+ one million. It is a long, long season and foot injuries linger. Pitino said it in his quote they need him just to be competitive in the Big Ten.

I wish they would keep him out of the first two games and maybe even the game with Temple because the team may be better off playing in the losers bracket of that tournament anyway.

I wish they would keep him out of the first two games and maybe even the game with Temple because the team may be better off playing in the losers bracket of that tournament anyway.

Out of curiosity, why would they be better off playing in the losers bracket?

Totally agree. Losers brackett= HOGWASH. Win every game you can and face the toughest teams you can- take your lumps and grow.

Better chance of winning two games. The first losers game likely would be Missouri State I believe and the second would likely be the winner of Texas Tech and Mississippi State. If they luck into a win against Temple, they likely would face two tough opponents after.

Totally agree. Losers brackett= HOGWASH. Win every game you can and face the toughest teams you can- take your lumps and grow.

Well, bully for you, but I'd rather see the team go 2-1 than 1-2 in that tournament. Wins mean more for a team like this than quality losses.

1-2 against tougher opponents will help the RPI

Better chance of winning two games. The first losers game likely would be Missouri State I believe and the second would likely be the winner of Texas Tech and Mississippi State. If they luck into a win against Temple, they likely would face two tough opponents after.

Which long term would be better prep for the Big Ten and give us a better RPI. You play to win and the coaches job is to win. If a Gopher coach ever held a guy out because they wanted to lose I would want them fired immediately.

Yes, I understand it's likely to be a tough season for the Gophers, but am not ready to say beating Temple would mean "lucking into a win." Probably be the equivalent of an 8-9 game in the NCAA tourney?

I believe the Owls are predicted to finish about 5th or 6th in the American behind Cincinnati, SMU, Tulsa, and UConn, and perhaps Houston? Even in a rebuilding season, would sure hope the Gophers are capable of competing with/beating the 5th best team in the AAC.

And then likely playing Butler in the winner's bracket. ... it's not like the Gophers would be playing a Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas.

Well, bully for you, but I'd rather see the team go 2-1 than 1-2 in that tournament. Wins mean more for a team like this than quality losses.

We have a better chance of going undefeated in the tournament if we win the first game..:)

1-2 against tougher opponents will help the RPI

I think we'll have enough losses to higher RPI opponents during the season to compensate for not getting two of those during the Puerto Rico tournament.

We have a better chance of going undefeated in the tournament if we win the first game..:)

If we beat Temple, we would likely face Butler (#29 in the CBS ranking). If we win that game, we would likely play the winner of Utah (#18) and Miami (#21). Although these preseason rankings can be way off, a team ranked 70th at best is unlikely to be as good as a team ranked forty or fifty places above it.

If we beat Temple, we would likely face Butler (#29 in the CBS ranking). If we win that game, we would likely play the winner of Utah (#18) and Miami (#21). Although these preseason rankings can be way off, a team ranked 70th at best is unlikely to be as good as a team ranked forty or fifty places above it.

Highly unlikely. Still- let's win that first game.

Top Bottom