Pitino on Gophers: Rebounding has got to get better

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Rebounding has got to get better. Last year, Minnesota averaged just 32.9 rebounds per game, nearly three boards fewer than their opponents. That didn’t cut it a year ago, when the Gophers went 18-15 overall and 6-12 in the Big Ten, and it’s not going to cut it this year, Pitino says. However, that means big improvements from expected frontcourt starters, power forward Joey King – who averaged just 3 rebounds per game – and center Bakary Konate, who battled with even staying in the game due to foul trouble. “Joey needs to get better,” Pitino said. “Whether or not it’s technique, we’ve been getting better at it, but he’s just got to get a little bit quicker to the ball. But [freshman forward] Jordan Murphy is naturally a very good rebounder. So I’ve told Joey if you’re not in there rebounding the ball, we need guys in there who can rebound. That’s something we’ve talked about a lot. I think Bakary can naturally be a very good rebounder because he’s huge for one, but he’s quick to the ball, he’s got long arms, he’s got length. I think [backup center] Gas [Diedhiou] is improving. I think Jordan Murphy has got the physical ability to be a phenomenal rebounder. Then if you play bigger at the [small forward], you’re going to see better results rebounding and defense.

http://www.startribune.com/friday-s...three-thoughts-from-richard-pitino/338381901/

Go Gophers!!

Joey may want to try some quickness drills, but it is usually due to genetics and improvement is somewhat limited to I think at most 20% increase. I suggest Joey try a mixture of acetyl-l-carnitine: 1000 mg l-tyrosine 3000 mg and add 200 mg caffeine for enhanced effectiveness. He's one of our better outside shooters and hopefully he can increase his quickness/reaction time.

rebounding, physical players, toughness

King isnt nor will he ever be a good rebounder. But this team is physically undersized in many spots. If Dorsey plays a lot and Mason moves to the 2, morris a skinny 175lb sf, king at pf, BK in the middle. BK is the only good sized player in that lineup as a rebounder, set picker, physical presence. These long athletes are nice in a pressing style but we need more physical players for the big ten battles underneath. I think Murphy being able to provide much needed rebounding is a top 5 need for this season.

per the STrib:

Rebounding has got to get better. Last year, Minnesota averaged just 32.9 rebounds per game, nearly three boards fewer than their opponents. That didn’t cut it a year ago, when the Gophers went 18-15 overall and 6-12 in the Big Ten, and it’s not going to cut it this year, Pitino says. However, that means big improvements from expected frontcourt starters, power forward Joey King – who averaged just 3 rebounds per game – and center Bakary Konate, who battled with even staying in the game due to foul trouble. “Joey needs to get better,” Pitino said. “Whether or not it’s technique, we’ve been getting better at it, but he’s just got to get a little bit quicker to the ball. But [freshman forward] Jordan Murphy is naturally a very good rebounder. So I’ve told Joey if you’re not in there rebounding the ball, we need guys in there who can rebound. That’s something we’ve talked about a lot. I think Bakary can naturally be a very good rebounder because he’s huge for one, but he’s quick to the ball, he’s got long arms, he’s got length. I think [backup center] Gas [Diedhiou] is improving. I think Jordan Murphy has got the physical ability to be a phenomenal rebounder. Then if you play bigger at the [small forward], you’re going to see better results rebounding and defense.

http://www.startribune.com/friday-s...three-thoughts-from-richard-pitino/338381901/

Go Gophers!!

For all the size Mo had- he wasn't physical. EE was physical but didn't have much ability. When I look at last year's lineup versus this year- I actually don't see a downgrade if the frosh live up to expectations. The problem is that the conference is so deep and strong this year which may result in a worse finish.

Ya but

For all the size Mo had- he wasn't physical. EE was physical but didn't have much ability. When I look at last year's lineup versus this year- I actually don't see a downgrade if the frosh live up to expectations. The problem is that the conference is so deep and strong this year which may result in a worse finish.

BGA1 I agree with what you say...the problem with potentially no downgrade is we weren't very good last year. What we need is a major upgrade. I get the emphasis on rebounding for sure...but what we need the most is scoring. I think we got guys to chip in this year. However, two of our better scorers this year will be Morris and Joey. Can Coffey instantly replace Morris? Can Fitzgerald and Lynch combined equal Joey in scoring? I'm skeptical those two guys will score despite all the accolades being showered on them while they can't play. I would think we are a much improved rebounding team next year for sure!

It would be really cool if one of Dorsey, McBrayer, Murphy is able to average double figures in the Big Ten this year. We'd be competitive this year and pretty good next year if that can happen.
And then somebody else steps up next year. Defense and rebounding are really important but they don't matter if you can't score. Pitino gets us quite few points with his coaching but you gotta have somebody you can count on when defended in the half court at the end of games. Year before Mathieu was sometimes, last year Mo was sometimes. It's either Joey or Morris now...I know Mason is an option but who is next?

BGA1 I agree with what you say...the problem with potentially no downgrade is we weren't very good last year. What we need is a major upgrade. I get the emphasis on rebounding for sure...but what we need the most is scoring. I think we got guys to chip in this year. However, two of our better scorers this year will be Morris and Joey. Can Coffey instantly replace Morris? Can Fitzgerald and Lynch combined equal Joey in scoring? I'm skeptical those two guys will score despite all the accolades being showered on them while they can't play. I would think we are a much improved rebounding team next year for sure!

It would be really cool if one of Dorsey, McBrayer, Murphy is able to average double figures in the Big Ten this year. We'd be competitive this year and pretty good next year if that can happen.
And then somebody else steps up next year. Defense and rebounding are really important but they don't matter if you can't score. Pitino gets us quite few points with his coaching but you gotta have somebody you can count on when defended in the half court at the end of games. Year before Mathieu was sometimes, last year Mo was sometimes. It's either Joey or Morris now...I know Mason is an option but who is next?

Remember, rebounding gives your opponent less shots and your team more shots. That means a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remember, rebounding gives your opponent less shots and your team more shots. That means a lot.

Agreed. Consistently holding the opponent to one shot has a cumulative, demoralizing effect as well. Once it gets in their head that they need to score on their first shot of each possession, the pressure mounts in a hurry.

As far as Joey's concerned, I think he can improve some. While he'll never be a great rebounder, I agree that he can learn to be quicker to the ball. He does a pretty decent job of battling for position, but tends to stay with the block-out too long instead of attacking the ball. He doesn't need quickness drills to make this improvement, just a shift in mentality.

Pitino gets us quite few points with his coaching but you gotta have somebody you can count on when defended in the half court at the end of games. Year before Mathieu was sometimes, last year Mo was sometimes. It's either Joey or Morris now...I know Mason is an option but who is next?

This year the people who can create their own shot at the end of games are in order of how I trust them to generate a good shot: Morris, Mason, Dorsey, McBrayer. The last 2 based off of their film only but I suspect they can score the ball or at least create good shots quickly if needed. If we want to run a play I'd trust Joey shooting it most but he'll need screens likely to get that shot.

Next year we subtract Morris from that and add Coffey. I suspect that will be an upgrade overall along with growth from the other 3 I am not worried about next year end of game situations compared to last year and this year.

King knows how to get open without set screens.

True I just always think of generating your own shot off the dribble and he does it other ways. End of games this year he should be shooting if possible

True I just always think of generating your own shot off the dribble and he does it other ways. End of games this year he should be shooting if possible

He does a lot of slip screens and is pretty good moving without the ball. Unlike the Hoff he doesn't need much help or space to get his shot off... Something I don't think he gets enough credit for.

He is who he is. Has frustrated me plenty, but I'm guessing he's going to have a pretty damn good senior season

I trust Nate to take the big shot too, guy has Westy 'like' coconuts.

I'm sure Joey will use the head fake move and while his release point is fairly low, it will hopefully get him to the charity stripe.

Agreed. Consistently holding the opponent to one shot has a cumulative, demoralizing effect as well. Once it gets in their head that they need to score on their first shot of each possession, the pressure mounts in a hurry.

As far as Joey's concerned, I think he can improve some. While he'll never be a great rebounder, I agree that he can learn to be quicker to the ball. He does a pretty decent job of battling for position, but tends to stay with the block-out too long instead of attacking the ball. He doesn't need quickness drills to make this improvement, just a shift in mentality.

It is called anticipation, and that can be learned if the player understands the game and concentrates.

Well aware of rebounding and agree it needs to be emphasized 100%. But bottom line we are not all of a sudden going to become sooo dominant rebounding the ball that we will win by improving it alone. It is not my biggest concern for this team was my point. Not that it is not important.

As far as Joey's concerned, I think he can improve some. While he'll never be a great rebounder, I agree that he can learn to be quicker to the ball. He does a pretty decent job of battling for position, but tends to stay with the block-out too long instead of attacking the ball. He doesn't need quickness drills to make this improvement, just a shift in mentality.[/QUOTE]

Agree with the bolded 100%. Attack the ball!

It is called anticipation, and that can be learned if the player understands the game and concentrates.

I don't doubt Joey's understanding or concentration. I just think he learned somewhere down the line that he's supposed to hold his block-out (which he took to the extreme and does too long) and needs to unlearn that. It happens. It can be corrected.

I don't doubt Joey's understanding or concentration. I just think he learned somewhere down the line that he's supposed to hold his block-out (which he took to the extreme and does too long) and needs to unlearn that. It happens. It can be corrected.

Yes, he needs to go get the GD ball.

Top Bottom