Seantrel Henderson names three favorites

ads1963

Reaction score
ESPNU 150 Watch Lister Seantrel Henderson names three favorites
Offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson told ESPN affiliate Web site GatorCountry.com, "Florida, USC and Ohio State... its going to be one of those three. They play for championships and they put a lot of people in the NFL."

"Distance doesn't matter," he continued. "It's about where I feel best about the school, the people in the program, the guys who are going to be my teammates and the coaches. If that's at a place like USC or Florida, that's fine with me. I'm going where I feel like I'm home. I'll know if it's the right place after I do my visits."

However, Henderson added, "It's not that I've closed the door on anyone. I'm still open but I've got some things that are important to me. It's going to be a tough choice but I'm going to make the right one whatever that is."

His father, Sean Henderson, previously informed affiliate Web site Bucknuts.com that Ohio State, Florida, USC and Oklahoma would be receiving official visits from his son and that Minnesota, Florida State, Notre Dame and Michigan were still in the mix.

If I was Brewster I would tell him to get lost and not put anymore time into his recruitment. This isn't a case of wanting to leave the state and play away from home, he's another Prima Donna who thinks he's too good for the University of Minnesota. Who wants to be an afterthought...

Ugh.....

another one bites the dust... This ones got stars in his eyes.

Offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson told ESPN affiliate Web site GatorCountry.com, "Florida, USC and Ohio State... its going to be one of those three. They play for championships and they put a lot of people in the NFL."

"Distance doesn't matter," he continued. "It's about where I feel best about the school, the people in the program, the guys who are going to be my teammates and the coaches. If that's at a place like USC or Florida, that's fine with me. I'm going where I feel like I'm home. I'll know if it's the right place after I do my visits."

However, Henderson added, "It's not that I've closed the door on anyone. I'm still open but I've got some things that are important to me. It's going to be a tough choice but I'm going to make the right one whatever that is."

His father, Sean Henderson, previously informed affiliate Web site Bucknuts.com that Ohio State, Florida, USC and Oklahoma would be receiving official visits from his son and that Minnesota, Florida State, Notre Dame and Michigan were still in the mix.

Funny I havent seen the door but SOUNDS pretty closed to me.

Okay, this is a little confusing. First he says, "it's going to be one of those three" when referring to Ohio State, Florida and USC. Then he goes on to say "but I haven't closed the door on anyone" :confused::confused: Is it going to one of those three or not??

All I can really say is let the circus begin. :eek:

Okay, this is a little confusing. First he says, "it's going to be one of those three" when referring to Ohio State, Florida and USC. Then he goes on to say "but I haven't closed the door on anyone" :confused::confused: Is it going to one of those three or not??

It is possible he goes down to those three and decide none of 'em feel like home. It would be unlikely, but it is possible.

It appears he has some clear requirements of what he wants.

This all seems to fit with the comments from his HS coach that Henderson doesn't like to upset people.

Others have already said this...we have to prove to him that we can win here. The fact that his dad still lists us as in the mix is encouraging. I'd rather be in the mix then be out of the game already.

He's gone. It is pretty obvious.

I would love to eat crow on this an be wrong but he is as good as gone. What a shame.

If I was Brewster I would tell him to get lost and not put anymore time into his recruitment. This isn't a case of wanting to leave the state and play away from home, he's another Prima Donna who thinks he's too good for the University of Minnesota. Who wants to be an afterthought...

Yea...this makes a lot of sense. Brew and the staff are spending SO much money and spending TONS of time recruiting within the Metro. I forgot how costly it was to flying coach for the 6.8 mile trip between Bierman and CDH. And its not like Henderson's future position coach has a son enrolled at CDH thus allowing him to be a dad and a recruiter at the same time or anything. And I'm sure our relationship with arguably the best FB pipleline in MN would be significantly improved if Brew had a hissy fit and quit recruiting Henderson b/c he didn't show us enough love.

So yes, I can think of nothing that makes more sense then stopping the recruitment ASAP. :rolleyes:

Agree with points that Monk and GoAUpher just made. Seems Henderson has a hard time saying "no" to anybody, which is reflected in these latest comments.

About the only thing I can expect is that this is going to turn into a circus anytime now. After that, all bets are off. ;)

i feel like this is going to come down to who's in charge of his choice, him or his parents. I wouldn't be suprised if he does have more interest in Minnesota than these blips and statements let on, but that he's being told to follow the money/big time path and that means Florida,USC, Ohio state. Let it play out, he's never struck me as a primodonna, but maybe not a strong enough personality to make big decisions alone.

Like I said in another thread, his old man already sees that the real payday is at USC, both before and after the NFL.

Henderson was NEVER going to be a Gopher. We all need to move on.

The NFL today is so much different than the NFL of his parents time. It really doesn't matter where you go to school. Perfect example was this years #2 pick I believe, OT Jason Smith went to BAYLOR and was seen on nation TV how many times??? He is a ball player with major talent. The NFL has no problem finding those guys and paying them more than USC players if they are better. It should be about quality of life and where you feel the best. If that is USC or Florida, great but I can't stand people saying the payday is elsewhere. The payday is when a talented kid works his tail off and no matter what school you play for if you're worth it you will be paid. The kid could potentially be a legend at Minnesota or be another big fish in a big pond at one of those other schools.

Are you serious right now? How is he being a prima donna when he has the top college programs in the country all over his jock to get him to play there. He can either go win a championship or 4 or he can come to the Gophers, be idolized by the home fans but just be part of a rebuilding process. There is no way you can blame him for leaving Minnesota.

Would I love to see him in maroon and gold? HELL YEAH I WOULD but let's be honest with ourselves here.

Henderson was NEVER going to be a Gopher. We all need to move on.

This guy is usually an insufferable blowhard, but I agree with him 100% here.

And count Brewster as a "failure" for being incapable of signing the #1 recruit in the country to a school that hasn't won anything in 40 years.:rolleyes:

This guy is usually an insufferable blowhard, but I agree with him 100% here.

And count Brewster as a "failure" for being incapable of signing the #1 recruit in the country to a school that hasn't won anything in 40 years.:rolleyes:

Fair or not Brewster was hired for his recruiting ability, not for his coaching ability and not for his ability to put together a staff. If you cannot get the top player in the state for 3 consecutive years how are you going to get the top players in Florida, Texas, and California to come here consistently. He needs to have find a way to get him to go here or else the leash for him is going to get really short.

The NFL today is so much different than the NFL of his parents time. It really doesn't matter where you go to school. Perfect example was this years #2 pick I believe, OT Jason Smith went to BAYLOR and was seen on nation TV how many times??? He is a ball player with major talent. The NFL has no problem finding those guys and paying them more than USC players if they are better. It should be about quality of life and where you feel the best. If that is USC or Florida, great but I can't stand people saying the payday is elsewhere. The payday is when a talented kid works his tail off and no matter what school you play for if you're worth it you will be paid. The kid could potentially be a legend at Minnesota or be another big fish in a big pond at one of those other schools.

The Jason Smith example may be true but the fact remains that Ohio State, USC, and Florida put more guys into the NFL on a consistent basis than most programs out there. Heck, you can look at a Matt Cassel who never even started at USC but still made it to the NFL. At these programs you are getting more visibility from the NFL because the scouts are there all the time because they can be scouting multiple players when they go to visit these teams or the games that they are in.

Fair or not Brewster was hired for his recruiting ability, not for his coaching ability and not for his ability to put together a staff. If you cannot get the top player in the state for 3 consecutive years how are you going to get the top players in Florida, Texas, and California to come here consistently. He needs to have find a way to get him to go here or else the leash for him is going to get really short.

Once again, it is not the same thing. Missing out on Floyd and McNeal is one thing...missing out on Henderson is altogether different. There has never been a Minnesota recruit as highly-sought after as he, and there will likely not be another for a long time.
And Brewster will never, ever, ever, get the top players in Florida, Texas, and California to come here. Ever. He will get good players that may pan out and be great, but he will never get a top-5 recruit from any of those states, period. I don't care if Jesus Christ himself were the coach here, players like that will never come to Minnesota. Ever.

Heck, you can look at a Matt Cassel who never even started at USC but still made it to the NFL. At these programs you are getting more visibility from the NFL because the scouts are there all the time because they can be scouting multiple players when they go to visit these teams or the games that they are in.

Apples to oranges. Matt Cassel was a decent recruit, but certainly no sure thing, as evidenced by the fact that he never started a game at USC. The visibility afforded him at USC enabled him to get drafted. Do you think Seantreal Henderson will never start a game at USC? Please.

Once again, it is not the same thing. Missing out on Floyd and McNeal is one thing...missing out on Henderson is altogether different. There has never been a Minnesota recruit as highly-sought after as he, and there will likely not be another for a long time.
And Brewster will never, ever, ever, get the top players in Florida, Texas, and California to come here. Ever. He will get good players that may pan out and be great, but he will never get a top-5 recruit from any of those states, period. I don't care if Jesus Christ himself were the coach here, players like that will never come to Minnesota. Ever.

Apples to oranges. Matt Cassel was a decent recruit, but certainly no sure thing, as evidenced by the fact that he never started a game at USC. The visibility afforded him at USC enabled him to get drafted. Do you think Seantreal Henderson will never start a game at USC? Please.

Of course Seantrel will likely start anywhere he goes eventually if not right away, however as you stated it is all about visibility and the more visible you are the more buzz around you and the higher likelihood of getting drafted higher. There are always guys that go to the smaller schools that make it big but the numbers do not lie that these higher profile programs send more guys to the NFL. If all these guys went to smaller schools would they all still make the NFL, maybe but we will never know. We do know that these schools send more players to the NFL, why this is can be debated but the end result is more guys from there programs go to the NFL on a consistent basis. I also never said he had to get a top 5 from these states but if you cannot shut down the borders with your own in-state recruits then it doesn't bode well IMO. By the way though not the number 1 recruit, Michael Floyd was definitely a top level recruit and had options to go anywhere, regardless of this if you are a salesman and have a good product you have to be effective at selling it when you have a built in advantage of being the hometown of the player and can sell the fact that your family and friends can watch all your games. I think Brewster is finding out that it is a lot easier to be top level recruiter when representing Texas and that in order to succeed at Minnesota you better bring more to the table than just being a recruiter unless you can lock down all the top instate players atleast.

Henderson might be gone now, I'm sure Brewster will stay in contact, work him to the very end, but ultimately miss out.
But...
We've got a good start on this class, Beau Allen is now priority #1, lock down 2-5 in state talent, bring in some Dline and secondary help, move on and get ready for the season.

He needs to recruit better than former coaches. He needs to recruit better than Wisconsin and Iowa consistently. So far, he has done that. Very few teams consistenly get the top recruit in their state. The exceptions are probably Florida and USC and Texas.

It is called "don't want to hurt the homeboys feelings or get any hassles, but at the right time I will decide between the three".

The Stars in the eyes is correct. Key words "championships" & "NFL". Glad Gjere is staying. If the Gophers can get Gayden back, that would still be a pretty outstanding line! Sentral is not giving the Gophers enough credit. I think by the end of 09, they are going to be a pretty outstanding, on the rise program.

It's just a little too early to get worked up. Wait until the season get's rolling and we're playing in the new stadium. Wait until he's not spending every second of the day playing his first love basketball. When football season starts and his head is there, and the new stadium is rocking and as great as we all hoped Seantrel may see things a little differently. It's just too early, I'm sure his faves wil change weekly for awhile.

Henderson might be gone now, I'm sure Brewster will stay in contact, work him to the very end, but ultimately miss out.
But...
We've got a good start on this class, Beau Allen is now priority #1, lock down 2-5 in state talent, bring in some Dline and secondary help, move on and get ready for the season.

I would agree with you on Beau Allen but it will be tough as I know he is getting alot of interest from Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Iowa and I believe has some serious interest in these programs.

USC and Florida could easily descend to mediocrity... back to exactly where they came from. It seems like a stupid reason to chose a school.

Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Miami, Florida State are schools that started to attract recruits who thought they could easily compete for a NC, only to be part of a disaster. Funny how no one ever mentions this.

USC and Florida could easily descend to mediocrity... back to exactly where they came from. It seems like a stupid reason to chose a school.

Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Miami, Florida State are schools that started to attract recruits who thought they could easily compete for a NC, only to be part of a disaster. Funny how no one ever mentions this.

As long as Pete Carroll and Urban Meyer are there they will not be descending into mediocrity anytime soon. The other schools listed have had some down years but appear to be working their way back up and should be competitive soon, with the exception of Miami whose coach is clueless and Florida State who is stuck in a holding pattern until Bowden retires and Fisher can take ownership of the rains. I think Michigans problems can be attributed to not having the athletes to run the spread but that should change soon and if Rich Rod can build a winner at West Virginia he can surely do it at Michigan where he has a lot more resources and national exposure to work with.

They certainly could. But the Gophers could also become the new USC. Are either of these likely to happen? Nope. All in all this is a pretty asinine comment.

Top Bottom