Frales-esque video before he was born. :-)

That is really wonderful. I especially like the music from the band. Has anyone ever thought of having the choir be at games along with the band to sing Hail MN and other songs? It is hard to get the crowd to sing songs and maybe by having the choir at games to sing during certain songs it would influence more fan participation. Also, I really like the variations on the rouser and other songs and think the current band should try those variations during games. Can't help but love the way the Gophers move the ball as well. Thanks for sharing!

The versions of the 6 school songs have not changed

much that I can recall since I first started going to games in the the early 1970's.

Many of the verisons of the school songs sound much different on this great video. The versions sound much like those played at the Rose Bowl in 1961 as heard on that well done Rose Bowl film that Gophersports.com had on their site earlier this year.

Dr. B. and an associate whose name escapes me (Red Mueller???-he passed away in the last couple of years) must have retooled all of the school songs sometime after the last Rose Bowl, and the arrangements have not seemed to have changed much since.

I think the post 1960's arrangements are much tighter and more aggressive, but it is hearing the older arrangements is interesting.

When Skeeter gets here he'll be able to answer your questions better than I can, but I believe the music in this video is from the Band Centennial CD released back in 1992.

I love the music as well, but man, how about that game footage?! That stuff blows me away. The single-wing offense, unbalanced lines, 200 pound O-linemen. How about that planned and perfectly executed hook & lateral on the game's first possession?! Hilarious!

When Skeeter gets here he'll be able to answer your questions better than I can, but I believe the music in this video is from the Band Centennial CD released back in 1992.

Yes, these are from the Centennial CD published in 1992, "Songs of the University of Minnesota". I fast-forwarded a bit, but it sounds like the video contains:

Fanfare to Hail Minn
Go Gopher Victory - 1964 band/vocal arrangement with Glee Club
Minn March - full original Sousa version
Fanfare 62
Minn March - Dr. Ben arr.
extended transition into second half of long version of Our Minn
extended transition into second half of long version of Minn Fight
Pageant
Variations on the Rouser
Hail Minn - Vocal arr. Glee Club
Mighty Minn (by Karl King)
Battle Hymn
Our Minn
Cascade-Fanfare-Pageant-Rouser sequence
Minn Fight - 1964 band/vocal arr. with Glee Club
Rouser - 1964 band/vocal arr. with Glee Club

Then, it sounds like the sequence repeats.

The fight songs haven't changed much since the early 1960s. Prior to that the band used Red McLeod's arrangements. His arr. of GGV is still used.

The short versions of Minn Fight & Our Minn are McLeod's, Dr. Bencriscutto ("Dr. Ben") added the second half (repeated section) with more elaborate upper woodwind parts and played around with the melody a bit.

Our version of Battle Hymn is Dr. Ben's. Dr. Ben also wrote the 1964 band/vocal with Glee Club arrangements. Generally, any of the "fancy" sounding versions and variations of the various school songs were arranged by Dr. Ben

Didn't they have the choir at games before the Rouser was written, which is why they put out a competition for a more "fight-song" sounding tune? Hail! Minn was too much like a choir song and didn't get people's spirits up like it should when we scored. I agree more people need to sing it, but for that to happen, people will need to actually be in the stands (either at halftime or after the game). Learning the words is really not that hard, they put them up on the scoreboard and it is also available online...

Wow, am I ignorant on old school football!! I figured most plays were either simple runs up the middle, sweeps and an occasion pass. I did a double take during that first series with the formation shifts, not knowing where the snap was going to and the hook and ladder. Love it. And yes, that choral music is fantastic. I need to track down that CD.

Edit: just checked ebay and amazon, no CD out there just the vinyl LP.

Maybe the Gophers should implement that offense Iowa was using (I'm assuming the team in white on that video was the visitor). Having Weber, Gray and a running back in teh single wing snapping the ball to any of the three of them.

No, the team wearing white scored most of the TDs

in a 55 - 7 win, and the game was not at Kinnick Stadium, so Minnesota was wearing the white jerseys, not Iowa.

Avoid the yellow snow.

Perphaps some other poster can give us some insights into jersey colors in the pre Cal Stoll era.

Top Bottom