SN Wonders What is Going to Happen in Beckyville

Sumtimegophs

Reaction score
SportingNews has the Gophers coming in at #50, as posted earlier I believe. The writers think MN should improve with 18 returning starters, assuming they can get stronger on the lines.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college...9-07-16/sporting-news-top-100-no-50-minnesota

Even though Becky comes in at #47, they question Bulimia's recruiting. :pig:

http://www.sportingnews.com/college...9-07-19/sporting-news-top-100-no-47-wisconsin

Should be a good game this year.

An interesting comment in the intro about not making Gophers angry.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college...6/kickoff-50-days-away-sn-counts-down-top-100

It is a must win for Brewster. If he loses again to Wisconsin the seat will start to get hot unless the rest of the season goes very well.

It is a must win for Brewster. If he loses again to Wisconsin the seat will start to get hot unless the rest of the season goes very well.

Yes that's definitely a big game for us. I think we'll win--we had the opportunity last year on the road. I think home field and another year of experience will be enough to finally pull it out.

I admit it, I peeked

Are you kidding me Notre Dame 18? Come on.

Really? East Carolina? Western Michigan? Iowa? All those that high? Mizzou at 42? While, yes, it doesn't seem that it's solely based on the history of the program like most preseason polls, I don't think it's any more accurate.

Becky

They'll be fine for this year. The schedule is too favorable (read: crap non-conf to get 4 wins, and games against Indiana and Purdue to get to 6 and a bowl). But they do play in one of the more important Big Ten games this fall. Looking at the schedule right now, Michigan's probably going to need to win at Camp Randall on November 14th to get to 6 wins. I don' think there's evern been a game where I might be forced to cheer for Wisconsin, but that situation might be it.

Really? East Carolina? Western Michigan? Iowa? All those that high? Mizzou at 42? While, yes, it doesn't seem that it's solely based on the history of the program like most preseason polls, I don't think it's any more accurate.

Yeah Western michigan seems like a major stretch considering they arent even favored to win their side of the Mac.

Yeah Western michigan seems like a major stretch considering they arent even favored to win their side of the Mac.

But the pollsters pretty much only pay attention to W-L records. The way the post-season polls work, there has to be at least a couple of teams from the MAC, WAC, MWC, and CUSA in any Top 40. The Sun Belt is soon going to play enough conference games that they will probably regularly have a team finnish in the Top 25 too.

If they are trying to as closely mirror the post-season AP poll as possible, they would unfortunately have to throw in a bunch of teams from the non-BCS conferences regardless of quality. The voters are never smart enough to realize that a 5-loss team in a BCS conference can be better than a 2-loss CUSA team.

Are you kidding me Notre Dame 18? Come on.

i hate to say it but notre dame is going to have a big year

the schedule is perfect for them and they return alot

they play a ton of first year starters at qb this year

i think they will win 9 or 10 games

I love the people that say Bielema can't recruit. If you look at the last 15 classes at Wisconsin, they have all been ranked in the same general area. The recruiting has not slipped at all and it certainly can be argued that the recruiting has improved since Alvarez left.

It is going to be fun this year when the Badgers have a good season watching everyone rag on the Badgers for a different reason. 13 out of 15 sounds nice. If that happens, some people on this board may combust.

The Badgers are not going anywhere and have a ton of talent waiting to get on the field.

This will be a really nice year and possibly a great year. 2010 the Badgers will return about 18 starters and will be loaded.

By then, Punky may be fired. Let's hope not.

Wisconsin record

Just taking a quick look at the Wisco schedule --
Here's how I predict:
Sept. 5, 2009 Northern Illinois - W
Sept. 12, 2009 Fresno State - W
Sept. 19, 2009 Wofford - W (Wofford is Division 1????)
Sept. 26, 2009 Michigan State - L (Mich St is always so hard to predict)
Oct. 3, 2009 at Minnesota - L
Oct. 10, 2009 at Ohio State - L
Oct. 17, 2009 Iowa - L
Oct. 31, 2009 Purdue - W
Nov. 7, 2009 at Indiana - W
Nov. 14, 2009 Michigan - W (could go the other way, but who knows how Mich. will be this year)
Nov. 21, 2009 at Northwestern - W
Dec. 5, 2009 at Hawaii - W (Hawaii is way down this year)

So I have Becky at 8-4 overall, 4-4 in the Big Ten.
I think the Gophers can finish 8-4 overall, but that will mean winning some big games - like beating a top 25 team or two (Cal, PSU, or OSU) and not losing to a cupcake.

As much as I hate to say it, but due to differences in the strength of schedule Wisconsin could finish higher than the Gophers this year, even if the Gophers are the better team.

bucky looked bad last year with alot of upperclassmen

they must have been saving the better players and are going to unleash them this year

Dude, Wisconsin beat Minnesota last year and finished higher in the standings. Why is the general mind set here that the Gophers are the better team? Can someone explain that to me?

Dude, Wisconsin beat Minnesota last year and finished higher in the standings. Why is the general mind set here that the Gophers are the better team? Can someone explain that to me?

Don't you have computers to sell Lloyd?

I didn't say or mean to imply that the Gophers are for certain the better team. I think both teams have a lot of question marks. What I was trying to say is that if both teams finish 8-4 it would probably mean the Gophers were the better team, because their schedule is much more difficult.

I would say that has to do with how close the teams were last year and one team losing a lot of pieces while the other team returns more than any other team in the country (according to Phil Steele). If you go over to Buckyville there are a lot of people penciling in the Gophers game as a loss too so it isn't limited to this board or our fans.

Well, there's the fact that the Badgers barely beat the Gophers in a game Minnesota held the lead in for a long period of time at Camp Randall and quite honestly, probably still feel like they should have won. Add in the fact that the Badgers barely finished ahead of the Gophers in the standings while being led by a bunch of upperclassmen who have graduated. The Gophers on the other hand weren't led by a bunch of upperclassmen and return the vast majority of their key players, giving Minnesota an apparent edge in experience. Finally, the game is a home game in a new stadium against a rival that has escaped the past two seasons with narrow wins.

Whether all that means the Gophers will be better, I have no idea. But that's the general thinking.

Though I believe the Gophers are better then they are given credit for, they still have to prove it on the field. Until then it is potential unrealized. They will be given credit when credit is due. I remember one SI writer put the Gophers in the preseason top 10 a few years ago and the team crashed and burned.

Though I believe the Gophers are better then they are given credit for, they still have to prove it on the field. Until then it is potential unrealized. They will be given credit when credit is due. I remember one SI writer put the Gophers in the preseason top 10 a few years ago and the team crashed and burned.

Yeah, I remember that too. That was the second year with Maroney and Barber. That team should have been special but couldn't get out of their own way. The writer was Stewart Mandel and there were a few not-so-nice things said about Mason and the team by Mandel when it became apparent they weren't going to reach that lofty perch.

Yeah, I remember that too. That was the second year with Maroney and Barber. That team should have been special but couldn't get out of their own way. The writer was Stewart Mandel and there were a few not-so-nice things said about Mason and the team by Mandel when it became apparent they weren't going to reach that lofty perch.

Your right, it was Mandel. Can you blame him. I think he had them rated to high that year, but they did have some potential...offense-wise anyway, and they badly underperformed.

Your right, it was Mandel. Can you blame him. I think he had them rated to high that year, but they did have some potential...offense-wise anyway, and they badly underperformed.

No, I can't blame him. He seemed pretty irked at the time. And actually, I was pretty unhappy during that season myself. :mad: ;) It's tough to watch a team you think should be very good under-perform. That team proved to be like many Mason fielded later in his career; reliable offensively while not being so on defense.

Top Bottom