Q&A: Tre Jones Says U is "getting much better and they are getting great players"

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Tre Jones Says U is "getting much better and they are getting great players"

Q&A: Tre Jones Says U is "getting much better and they are getting great players to go there."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/568106?referrer_id=388419

Tre Jones, a 6-foot-2 sophomore point guard from Apple Valley (MN) High, paced the Eagles to a 30-2 mark as he averaged 8.2 points per game this past season as a freshman. Jones helped lead the Eagles to their second state title in three years as they defeated previously unbeaten Champlin Park 64-61 in the state title game as he finished with 12 points, six rebounds, three assists and two steals.

Jones, who is the younger brother of new Minnesota Timberwolves first round draft pick Tyus, picked up an offer from Minnesota this summer and recently added one from Duke.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Jones to learn the latest on his college recruitment and summer.

Gopher Hole: You were out in Colorado Springs (with the USA National team) again. What was that experience like?

Tre Jones: It was a great experience. The best competition in all classes out there, so every day, you are just getting pushed by the best players and it just makes you a better player.

Gopher Hole: You had a chance to play with the national team this summer and you won a gold medal. Is that something you want to continue playing for USA? Tyus played for them quite a bit as well.

Tre Jones: I would love to keep that going. Just got to keep working on my game. Keep getting better and hopefully, it all goes well.

Gopher Hole: You picked up some new offers like Duke and a couple of others. How many offers are you up to?

Tre Jones: I am up to four. I got Texas Tech, Minnesota, Baylor and Duke.

Gopher Hole: That obviously has to make you feel proud to just be going into your sophomore year to be getting those kind of looks?

Tre Jones: Yes. I have got to keep working hard. Can't get too bigheaded or anything right now. I have to stay humble and keep working on my game.

Gopher Hole: I know that you were at the Gopher football game against TCU with a couple of players who have since committed in Amir Coffey and Eric Curry. Did you get a chance to talk to them much and what was that experience like?

Tre Jones: Yes. They are great players. I have seen them play over the summer. I have seen Eric play over the summer. I have playing against Amir for a while now and that is a big pickup for Minnesota, also with Michael Hurt going there, too, so that is a good class that they have going in.

Gopher Hole: Does that make you look at Minnesota a little bit more having some Minnesota kids that you know a little bit in Michael and Amir going there?

Tre Jones: For sure. Their program is getting much better and they are getting great players to go there right now, so hopefully, they just keep going. .

Gopher Hole: You obviously have another reason to look at Minnesota a little bit harder with Tyus coming here. Have you talked to him much about his adjustment back to Minnesota?

Tre Jones: He loves it here. I don't think that he would want to be anywhere else. He loves being home with family and all that. I think that he loves being here.

Gopher Hole: It looks like you have gotten a lot bigger since the last time I saw you. Every time I see you, you seem like you have gotten a little bigger. What are you up to height and weight-wise right now?

Tre Jones: 6-2 ½ and 170.

Gopher Hole: Is that just maturing or working out a lot? What have you been doing?

Tre Jones: I have been working out the same amount, but maybe just getting older, filling out a little more.

Gopher Hole: Have you been working out with Jadee (his older brother and Apple Valley assistant coach) a lot?

Tre Jones: Yes. I work out with Jadee about four or five times a week and we just continue workouts in the weight room.

Gopher Hole: You have had a lot of college coaches come to up to open gyms. Who all have you seen so far?

Tre Jones: Minnesota, Texas Tech, Duke, Baylor is coming up there, Ohio State, Buffalo, Michigan State, Missouri and a couple more that I can't think of.

Gopher Hole: Any other coaches coming that you are aware of?

Tre Jones: Arizona and I'm not sure after that.

Gopher Hole: You didn't have Gary Trent Jr. playing with you due to plantar fasciitis, but you have all your starters back this season. What are your thoughts about the upcoming season?

Tre Jones: Our main goal is to win state. That's the only thing that we have on our mind so far. By March, we are playing the best basketball that we can be playing and hopefully go into sections with a full head of steam and just play well and win state again.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, it is so early being only a sophomore, but do you like the recruiting process so far?

Tre Jones: I do. I saw my brother go through it. He had a blast with this, so hopefully, I can have just as much fun as he did.

Gopher Hole: Do you think it helps that you had a chance to see Tyus go through it? Have you been talking to him about it?

Tre Jones: I learned all the things that I know about the recruiting process, I learned from him. That is a lot of help for me.

Top Bottom