Gopher Media Day.

balds

Reaction score
I thought that was yesterday, but according to the Strib it was Pitino inquisition day, where all gleefully poke and prod for a Pitino "gotcha" moment. It's so weird that a major newspaper would devote it's entire media day coverage to a scandal at another school.

It's a much bigger, more important and more interesting story to cover than the usual "getting better each and every day" type of cliches from the coaches and players. Amelia didn't get much but at least she forced Richard to thread the needle in his response to the (presumed) question of what his father knew and what a head coach should know about what goes on in a program.

I thought that was yesterday, but according to the Strib it was Pitino inquisition day, where all gleefully poke and prod for a Pitino "gotcha" moment. It's so weird that a major newspaper would devote it's entire media day coverage to a scandal at another school.

Agreed. I'm not at all interested in Louisville's scandal and I don't think Richard should be asked to provide answers about his father's program.

Amelia's first instincts are always to pursue the drama/soap opera. Which shows that either she is immature, or just bad at being a beat writer. I first became aware of this when she used the "Season on the brink" lede about 15 different times throughout Tubby's final season.

Amelia's first instincts are always to pursue the drama/soap opera. Which shows that either she is immature, or just bad at being a beat writer. I first became aware of this when she used the "Season on the brink" lede about 15 different times throughout Tubby's final season.

Well, it apparently was.

It wasn't just Amelia - it was many members of the media. I had a lot of the same questions, but they got asked before I could ask them. I think I got about 2 RT's about anything Gopher bball related yesterday, but stuff about Rick Pitino got a lot more traction. You have to give people what they're interested in sometimes. I feel like interest in Gopher hoops is a lower point this year from the interactions I've had (other than the few diehards on this board).

Well, it apparently was.

Indeed it was. I'm sure that firing was a mystery to most outsiders, but if you were a fan who lived through the experience of so much promise squandered, you were more likely to understand the motivations for it.

That might be a more interesting story if there were actually going to be interesting answers to them, which no coach would ever give. What are they going to say other than that their dad didn't know about it and neither did he?

There are a lot of new faces on this team and I think more MN fans would want to know about them and any thoughts Pitino has on the team since he actually gives more info than just coach speak.

It wasn't just Amelia - it was many members of the media. I had a lot of the same questions, but they got asked before I could ask them. I think I got about 2 RT's about anything Gopher bball related yesterday, but stuff about Rick Pitino got a lot more traction. You have to give people what they're interested in sometimes. I feel like interest in Gopher hoops is a lower point this year from the interactions I've had (other than the few diehards on this board).

That might be a more interesting story if there were actually going to be interesting answers to them, which no coach would ever give. What are they going to say other than that their dad didn't know about it and neither did he?

There are a lot of new faces on this team and I think more MN fans would want to know about them and any thoughts Pitino has on the team since he actually gives more info than just coach speak.

Agreed.

It's a much bigger, more important and more interesting story to cover than the usual "getting better each and every day" type of cliches from the coaches and players. Amelia didn't get much but at least she forced Richard to thread the needle in his response to the (presumed) question of what his father knew and what a head coach should know about what goes on in a program.
No complaints about the story, but there is actually a team that the media day was for.

Again, no complaints about the story, but not as THE story of media day. And why even bother having pictures of the team with that story? It was a complete disconnect. The team picture was poor and reflected an even greater lack of interest on the Strib's part. Is there a scrimmage this weekend? I don't think so, the paper didn't mention anything about it and I'm sure they would have if was occurring this weekend.

http://www.minnpost.com/sports/2015...pher-coach-richard-pitino-faces-critical-year

Pat Borzi's media day article plays off the uncertainty angle:

"That lack of institutional control and sound judgment means closer scrutiny for everyone, especially when the new athletic director comes on board next spring. And with benefactor Teague out of the picture, Pitino may find himself a lot more vulnerable than he thinks, even if the Louisville shadow never touches him"

GL, I am on your side most of the time, but this is BS. Gopher media day is about our team and not a TMZ event to sensationalize problems at another team. I know our coach was present during part of the story, but wasting all of the time that is intended for the Gophers on another team is just talking head babel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen it so low.

Top Bottom