Future Schedules

What does "2 for 1" mean? 2 for 1, is that bad? What does that mean? Did I break it?

It means that we will get two home games in exchange for playing one game on the road.

Just to review

San Jose State has been on the schedule for a while. Here are the officially scheduled non-conference games:

South Dakota
USC

at USC
North dakota State
Miami (OH)

at UNLV
Colorado
Syracuse

UNLV
at Colorado
Western Illinois
San Jose State

at Miami (OH)
Oregon State
San Jose State

South Dakota State
at Oregon State
Ohio

Surprised that only 2 nonconference games are scheduled for next year. You'd think it'd be closer to settled by this point. Did someone pull out of a game? I seem to remember something about another PAC10 team...

I wouldn't worry about having 2 spots open. As the years go on, it's becoming common place for schools to have openings later and later. We could very easily add a UND, ND St, SD St, or other schools fairly easily. It would be nice though not to fall into that too often. I'd rather have games locked 2 years in advance.

Surprised that only 2 nonconference games are scheduled for next year. You'd think it'd be closer to settled by this point. Did someone pull out of a game? I seem to remember something about another PAC10 team...

It was Washington State. the Gophers pulled out of there series with WSU when we schedule USC.

The Washington Huskies need to get back on the

schedule.

Pittsburgh, Nebraska, and Washington are all great traditional rivals I'd like to see again.

Missouri, Texas, Oregon, UCLA, Oklahoma, Kansas, Stanford or an Arizona school would all be great as well.

I do like the schedules though with OSU, Colorado, USC, Cal, and Syracuse being huge upgrades in BSC/name schools.

Pittsburgh, Nebraska, and Washington are all great traditional rivals I'd like to see again.

Amen to that!! Could you imagine what a yearly (or nearly-yearly) out of conference rivalry game with Nebraska would do for this program!

We can't add ND NDSU or South Dakota State since we already have SD. I would guess we will end up with two MAC teams.

We can't add ND NDSU or South Dakota State since we already have SD. I would guess we will end up with two MAC teams.

why do we play the dakotas? it does nothing for us other than a cheap game to fill the schedule. the dakotas need us to play them due to the absolute lack of talent in their own states. they need us for their recruiting and we get nothing out of it! if we play these fcs schools why not play the schools in states that have real talent? at least beating a texas, georgia, ohio, div 1aa school we have a chance to pull a kid away. are we going to impress kids like henderson by beating the crap out of the dakotas? he wont come to those games anyways. but seriously the dakotas? really?

it does make the games a little more interesting as those teams have followings and the game has more hype around it then some tiny school in texas, but you do make a good point about recruiting

why do we play the dakotas? it does nothing for us other than a cheap game to fill the schedule. the dakotas need us to play them due to the absolute lack of talent in their own states. they need us for their recruiting and we get nothing out of it! if we play these fcs schools why not play the schools in states that have real talent? at least beating a texas, georgia, ohio, div 1aa school we have a chance to pull a kid away. are we going to impress kids like henderson by beating the crap out of the dakotas? he wont come to those games anyways. but seriously the dakotas? really?

It is the same reason the NFL plays pre-season games... to iron out the kinks in the gameplan, team chemistry, and to loosen the nerves of younger players in a game-experience.

There is only so much a team can learn about itself by practicing. Playing in a game setting, even where there is little to no chance of defeat, does have its advantages.

Team confidence is one of them. Unfortunately, exciting matchups for fans is not.

Why the Dakotas? Because they are our neighbors, and on a BCS map of the country, the Dakotas basically count as in-state territory for the Gophers. If there is talent that comes out of the Dakotas, we had better be in prime position to capture it.

I dont see anything wrong with playing one of those three schools each year (four, once the North Dakota changes their mascot), for the time being at least.

Amen to that!! Could you imagine what a yearly (or nearly-yearly) out of conference rivalry game with Nebraska would do for this program!

It would be good but if Nebraska ever added a consistent series with a Big 10 school it would likely be Iowa. Also a series with Minnesota doesn't really benefit them at all.

It would be good but if Nebraska ever added a consistent series with a Big 10 school it would likely be Iowa. Also a series with Minnesota doesn't really benefit them at all.

i see what youre saying, but i think that iowa likes its yearly game with ISU. I dont think that Iowa would like to drop that game, even for a program like Nebraska, and i dont think it is wise for a school like Iowa to have only two game per year to play other teams around the country.

but i agree that for Nebraska, Iowa is more intriguing on the surface because it is closer to Lincoln, and there are tons of husker fans in Iowa. and tons of hawkeye fans in nebraska.

But we have played Nebraska more than any other non-Big10 team. And they have played us more than any other non-Big12 team (including Iowa). We dominated them through 1960, and then they absolutely owned us since.

If Minnesota returns to its relevance prior to the Metrodome era, of course an OOC series with us would be mutually beneficial.

We all have seen what the Illinois-Missouri series has done to boost each of their respective schedules as well as the national opinion of their programs. Nebraska has faded since their glory 1990's days, and we should be on our way up, now that we are out of the dome.

Money. We don't have to pay them as high of a guarantee payment. MAC level teams are starting to ask for home and homes or a much higher guarantee payment and 1AA schools give you that extra home game (and thus extra revenue) at a lower cost. It sucks, but this is why a 12 game season got approved.

I would complain too, but it seems like just about every big time D-1 has a cupcake on its schedule every year. So the Dakotas are ours. Then we play a BCS or two and a MAC. Seems like a reasonable schedule to me.

why do we play the dakotas? it does nothing for us other than a cheap game to fill the schedule.

Let me refresh the memory bank a bit. The 06 Gophers were a missed chip shot FG away from losing to the dakotas, NDSU to be exact. Then it happened in 07 as the boys from Fargo went home with a 27-21 victory.

That may never happen in another 50 years but it did.

Money is correct as the people from Fargo filled the dome two years in a row. At least we had a full dome for two games during those seassons. That won't be as big of an issue for at least two or three years playing in the smaller TCF.

Iowas/ISU is actually a game required by a law passed by the Iowa Legislature a few years back. Forget about Iowa facing the Huskers.
http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/future_schedules_home.htm

Nebraska seems satisfied playing the likes of a UCLA, USC, Miami (Fla)and Washington, then a team from the next level like Southern Miss, Fresno State, Wyoming, Idaho and even South Dakota State. I see no room for the Gophers in their schedule for awhile. Same with Pitt as they take on some very good teams
as well.

We used to play Missouri often. I see where they are lacking future BCS opponents with their future schedules, if they are accurate.

Mizzou

I would LOVE to see the Gophers play some games with Mizzou. Columbia is a great college town, beautiful campus, and only about a 10 hour drive.

Well, I would just like to add that Im really excited about the series with Colorado. Im going to do what i can to get to both of those games. Seems like a good matchup.

Just looking at Colorado's future non-conf schedules: very impressive. They also play Colorado State every year.

2010: @Cal, Hawaii, Georgia
2011: @Hawaii, Cal, Fresno St.
2012: @Minnesota, @Fresno St., Utah
2013: Minnesota, @Utah, Fresno St.
2014: @Oregon, Hawaii
2015: @Hawaii, Washington
2016: @Washington

why do we play the dakotas? it does nothing for us other than a cheap game to fill the schedule.

Let me refresh the memory bank a bit. The 06 Gophers were a missed chip shot FG away from losing to the dakotas, NDSU to be exact. Then it happened in 07 as the boys from Fargo went home with a 27-21 victory.

That may never happen in another 50 years but it did.

Money is correct as the people from Fargo filled the dome two years in a row. At least we had a full dome for two games during those seassons. That won't be as big of an issue for at least two or three years playing in the smaller TCF.

Iowas/ISU is actually a game required by a law passed by the Iowa Legislature a few years back. Forget about Iowa facing the Huskers.
http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/future_schedules_home.htm

Nebraska seems satisfied playing the likes of a UCLA, USC, Miami (Fla)and Washington, then a team from the next level like Southern Miss, Fresno State, Wyoming, Idaho and even South Dakota State. I see no room for the Gophers in their schedule for awhile. Same with Pitt as they take on some very good teams
as well.

We used to play Missouri often. I see where they are lacking future BCS opponents with their future schedules, if they are accurate.

but again...what is to gain? playing the dakotas fills up our stadium sure, and its a cheap fill for the schedule...thats it! if they beat us or play us close we look like idiots for about a month. if we beat ndsu, sdsu, etc who cares? are we getting any studs from these states. i would rather pay a little more for games against a mac or conference usa and do the home and home deal where we might have a shot to pull a kid away. the dakotas dont help our recruiting and helps their recruiting. obviously we dont compete for the same athletes

As long as we have 12-game seasons, playing I-AA schools is going to be a reality for most programs. And if we're going to play a I-AA school, it might as well be a school with some local interest as a opposed to playing a school no one here has even heard of.

Another advantage of a playing a I-AA team is that you get a home game without having to play a road game in exchange.

If we really want to improve the schedule lets dump South Dakota in 2010 and add Arizona State as I see they are looking to fill an opening that same weekend after San Jose State backed out.

I suppose we could persue a game with Arizona State and reschedule South Dakota for another year. But the schedule already has been improved, we have BCS opponents each year until 2015. If we were to play Arizona State in 2010, we would also be playing USC that same season.

Then there's the issue of what terms Arizona State would be looking for. I know in the past, some fans have been so eager for a schedule upgrade that they would be willing to schedule a road game with no return visit, and I would find that totally unacceptable. If we did play ASU in 2010, there would have to be a return visit scheduled.

When GM Minnesota teams destroyed Colorado St.

Just looking at Colorado's future non-conf schedules: very impressive. They also play Colorado State every year.

2010: @Cal, Hawaii, Georgia
2011: @Hawaii, Cal, Fresno St.
2012: @Minnesota, @Fresno St., Utah
2013: Minnesota, @Utah, Fresno St.
2014: @Oregon, Hawaii
2015: @Hawaii, Washington
2016: @Washington

(and for that matter bowl teams Tulsa and Toledo), Colorado State was looked upon as some nothing cupcake team.

Even when the Mason teams won big against these teams it was nothing.

Yet selectively these teams are viewed as tough teams by some.

Top Bottom