Brewster Building at Minnesota

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
From Rivals:

I am interested to see what you think about Minnesota. Tim Brewster seems to be finding some recruiting success that Minnesota has not seen in quite some time. Do you think the Gophers can make a dent this year in the Big Ten?

-- David from Atlanta

Since Tim Brewster was hired at Minnesota after the 2006 season, I have believed that the Gophers were on their way up because he will go out and recruit.

Slowly, he has built up the player pool. This year, Minnesota is off to a nice start, with two four-star commitments in offensive tackle Jimmy Gjere and athlete Lamonte Edwards. That's a good sign because both are in-state prospects. Running back Donnell Kirkwood is a steal from Florida. So far this year, the staff has done well.

The ultimate key for this class is the offensive front. There are four offensive line commitments, but Brewster and his staff have to close with the nation's top prospect, Seantrel Henderson from St. Paul (Minn.) Cretin-Derham Hall. He is a must-get for Minnesota because he's local and landing the nation's top prospect will give the program more legitimacy, which would help future recruiting immensely.

It hurts a rebuilding program when it can't land big-time, in-state prospects. Last year, the Gophers signed seven of the state's top 10 players, but the top in-state prospect, wide receiver Bryce McNeal, signed with Clemson. That can't happen this year with Henderson.

The Gophers have finished No. 39 and No. 17, respectively, the past two years in the team recruiting rankings. Another top-30 class will give Brewster three solid classes. We saw some improvement last season on the field, especially on defense, and now it's up to the staff and the players to continue that upward swing.

As I recall either Bruininks or Maturi stated that Brewster was hired to do three main things: 1) improve the image of Gopher football; 2) improve recruiting; and 3) win big and often or something to that affect.

At this point, Brewster should receive about a B with the first two but certainly an incomplete in number three. 2009 will tell us a lot about the quality of the recruits from the 08 class and to a lesser degree 09. The key is to keep the current players in good standing academically and also socially and also develop them as football players. And the quality of each class won't be known for two or maybe three years.

Henderson would be a great get but not a huge obstacle to his efforts to build the Gophers to a top 3 or 4 BT program.

According to rivals, Henderson is a must get for the program? I really don't think that is the case. He's not just the top in state recruit, but the top recruit nationally.. That's a pretty high bar for any program to clear, given the unlimited options open to the kid. C'mon, let's get real, rivals.

As I recall either Bruininks or Maturi stated that Brewster was hired to do three main things: 1) improve the image of Gopher football; 2) improve recruiting; and 3) win big and often or something to that affect.

At this point, Brewster should receive about a B with the first two but certainly an incomplete in number three. 2009 will tell us a lot about the quality of the recruits from the 08 class and to a lesser degree 09. The key is to keep the current players in good standing academically and also socially and also develop them as football players. And the quality of each class won't be known for two or maybe three years.

Henderson would be a great get but not a huge obstacle to his efforts to build the Gophers to a top 3 or 4 BT program.

I would give him a "B" on image and a A-/B+ at improving recruiting.

Brewster's first class (2007) was ranked 57th, but arguably they were mostly Mason recruits. His average rank has been 37.6, but that's slighly tainted by the loss of some recruits due to academics. Let give him a 40.

Mason's classes, starting in 2002 were 55, 37 (Maroney), 58, 55, and 62. That's a 53.4 average. He also lost a few of his 3 star recruits (Maroney and Hamilton are his only notable 4 stars), so lets give him a 55.

I'd say we're up. 2009 won't be a watershed year, but an indicator. 2010 will make or break Tim Brewster.

According to rivals, Henderson is a must get for the program? I really don't think that is the case. He's not just the top in state recruit, but the top recruit nationally.. That's a pretty high bar for any program to clear, given the unlimited options open to the kid. C'mon, let's get real, rivals.

Exactly. I think their attempt to compare McNeal and Henderson as though they're the same class of player is a huge disservice to anyone who doesn't follow it closely and may think that is the case.
Henderson is a once-in-a-decade-type talent, and I don't think it should be considered a "failure" if we don't get him. Will we be disappointed? Of course. But I don't think anyone who is a realist thinks it's more likely than not that we will sign him.

Some in the media only like to focus on the negatives. If Henderson goes elsewhere they'll say "see, Brewster can't close the borders". I'm reminded of Sansevere's comments when Brewster was hired. It was basically "If Brewster can't convince Nolan Brewster and Michael Floyd to come here then he's not a good recruiter." Class B.S. (pun intended)

If Henderson stays here and blossoms into Orlando Pace, Part II, he'll give Mauer a run for the title of King of Minnesota. Sadly, I think his old man has already made up his mind that the real payday (both pre and post NFL) is with USC.

Talents like SH go to schools like Ohio State or USC because they have proven track records of sending players to the NFL. When you're as good as SH and already on your way to the NFL, going to a school like Minnesota that does not yet have a track record of producing a lot of NFL talent could easily be viewed as a risk. That is our biggest problem in this particular situation. Brewster will have put forth his greatest recruiting job ever to convince him to come here.

There is no way that Henderson is a "must have" for the Gophers. In situations like these (Henderson and Floyd type ranked players) being local is actually a negative in many ways. I think the saying "the grass is always greener" plays into situations like this. Schools like ND, OSU, and USC have an even bigger than obvious advantage on the U because they are able to "wow" them on visits and put on a tremendous (drink now if you play that game!) show when the visit. They can put their best foot forward and make some pretty green grass, if you will, for one or two visits. They can make their pogram seem 100% positive because MN players are less familiar with the programs.

The U, on the other hand, when recruiting local players of that level have to compete with the built-in stereotypes and negativity (or at least doubts) about Gopher football that many people in Minnesota have, largely based on our local media and recent history. They have been exposed to the apathy towards the Gophers that most Minnesotans have for years. They have seen how the Gophers are second fiddle to the Vikes around here. We can't "wow" them on one weekend visit and paint a totally rosy picture when they already know about the Dome and all those blue seats, and the atmosphere at the WI/IA/NDSU games, and what KFAN says, etc.

When you add this local bias to the obvious built-in advantages that schools like OSU, ND, and USC have on us already its clear that any coach at Minnesota has his work cut out for him to get these guys to stay home. Until the overall feeling about Gopher football changes in the Minnesota sports world, it will continue to be this way.

Also...I should say my "grass is always greener" theory can and does play in our favor sometimes too. For example, when a Marqueis Gray comes here from Indy we can also make our grass pretty green and make our program look awesome. A kid coming in to Mpls for the first time could be very impressed by the many positive things about coming to the U (new stadium, great campus, beautiful city, etc) that local kids take for granted. Add in the recruiting tactics of Brewster and crew and we have some good chances with some of these guys that don't have a more developed, and sometimes tainted, view of the program. So it goes both ways in my opinion.

I think that Henderson is a must get, if you are a top recruiter you cannot lose the top player in your home state for 3 consecutive years as it would be if Henderson signed elsewhere.

Talents like SH go to schools like Ohio State or USC because they have proven track records of sending players to the NFL. When you're as good as SH and already on your way to the NFL, going to a school like Minnesota that does not yet have a track record of producing a lot of NFL talent could easily be viewed as a risk. That is our biggest problem in this particular situation. Brewster will have put forth his greatest recruiting job ever to convince him to come here.

There are many valid reasons why Henderson should/could go elsewhere, but this is not one of them. If Henderson deserves to go to the NFL, he will go, and probably be drafted highly, regardless of where he plays. The Gophers have had many players deserving of playing in the NFL over the last decade, and they have all made it. It's not as though he'd be playing in Siberia. Hell, Jason Smith went #2 overall, from Baylor of all places. Steve McNair was drafted #3 overall out of Alcorn St. NFL scouts will find talent wherever it is, and their school won't matter to the guys doing the selection.

Guys like SH go to USC or Ohio State because they want to win national titles, not because it will enhance their draft status.

There are many valid reasons why Henderson should/could go elsewhere, but this is not one of them. If Henderson deserves to go to the NFL, he will go, and probably be drafted highly, regardless of where he plays. The Gophers have had many players deserving of playing in the NFL over the last decade, and they have all made it. It's not as though he'd be playing in Siberia. Hell, Jason Smith went #2 overall, from Baylor of all places. Steve McNair was drafted #3 overall out of Alcorn St. NFL scouts will find talent wherever it is, and their school won't matter to the guys doing the selection.

Guys like SH go to USC or Ohio State because they want to win national titles, not because it will enhance their draft status.

I agree with this. As long as he is in a big ten (or any BCS) school, he will be playing against top-notch opponents regularly. If he plays here, there will be tons of film of him up against the best that OSU, Mich, PSU, and USC can throw his way. NFL scouts might make some distinction between a non-BCS guy and a BCS guy, but even then, if they deserve to play pro ball, they will get drafted.

I don't get it.

Henderson is a must get. His talent is significant. Brewster was not hired for his coaching ability, he was hired to recruit. Recruit top talent to Minnesota. Having a home grown kid like Henderson slip away can only be viewed as a failure.

I understand that you can't win them all and there is a chance that Brewster will not land him. As unfair as some of you seem to think this is, it is Brewster's job to land Henderson. What saddens me most are the people who are so behind Brewster that they are already making excuses for not landing Henderson BEFORE Henderson makes his decision.

Ultimately, we may not land him. If we don't the sun will rise the next day and the program will go on, but at the end of the day, Brewster only had experience for one part of the job when Maturi hired him. Recruiting. No excuses, he needs to get it done. We've had much better signing day classes which make Brewster look good, but the reality is what is making it to the field is not what we're getting on signing day. This has to improve. Brewster needs to deliver. No excuses, and no job if he doesn't.

Disagree?

Who thinks we couldn't use all of the Brewster recruited players that WON'T be on the field this fall?

And how many of the kids that are grey shirting, coming in later, etc are stunted in their development because of the lost time?

And how many of the recruits that came in and may not have been world beaters but could contribute and improve the program until "the better players get here" and in reality could have been a part of a program going forward to give those better players time to assimilate and grow vs. throwing them into the mix right away would we be better off having on the field.

Thomas
Brock
Gray
Reeves
B. Smith

To name a few....

Will Carpenter and Searcy join the fold?

Granted the situations wtih Maresh and Campion don't help matters either, but it still impacts the overall effectiveness of "building" the program.

Regardless, the list keeps getting longer. Recruiting has improved, It may be better than the past 40 years, but it still far from "as advertised" and it's still the only thing Brewster has shown any significant ability to deliver. I'm happy with the improvement but we gave up an awful lot to get not as much as was expected to date.

Henderson is a must get. His talent is significant. Brewster was not hired for his coaching ability, he was hired to recruit. Recruit top talent to Minnesota. Having a home grown kid like Henderson slip away can only be viewed as a failure... This has to improve. Brewster needs to deliver...

Who thinks we couldn't use all of the Brewster recruited players that WON'T be on the field this fall?

And how many of the kids that are grey shirting, coming in later, etc are stunted in their development because of the lost time?

And how many of the recruits that came in and may not have been world beaters but could contribute and improve the program until "the better players get here" and in reality could have been a part of a program going forward to give those better players time to assimilate and grow vs. throwing them into the mix right away would we be better off having on the field.
Regardless, the list keeps getting longer. Recruiting has improved, It may be better than the past 40 years, but it still far from "as advertised" and it's still the only thing Brewster has shown any significant ability to deliver. I'm happy with the improvement but we gave up an awful lot to get not as much as was expected to date.

Your issues sum up much of my frustration with the twist and turns Brewster's recruting has taken in the last 20 odd months. Feb 08 seemed like Brewster really was a world beater, but the shine is sure fading from that disco ball of excitement. Bad luck with health, and shaky incoming academics have chipped away. A very talented kid named Sam has a unseen heart issue arise. That is just crazy bad luck, and thank god we found out sans tragedy. In the same class an incredibly exciting recruit in Marquies Gray gets yanked from camp. Brewster, much to his credit, manages to convince him not to JUCO and end up on some -likely more BCS relevant- future squad. Everybody was relieved when Gray came back, if not elated. But he is still going to be an academic risk for his tenure, because let's face it he needed several attempts to just barely scrape together a passing ACT twice. I look forward to seeing him on the field with all his potential but each off season, I won't help but wonder if it will be his last, because he will wash out in the spring.

To your lists of those who left, I ask about those that got away before they were in the net. For instance, I often wonder how dynamic the team might have been had Decker been joined by any or all of the three receivers Brewster failed to lock within Borders. Gilreath, Floyd and McNeal each were considered top of their position in state, and quite probably would have added great potential to our WR corps for years. With any luck Floyd for instance would have matriculated from the squad to become a Pro-Bowler and convinced future local talent that staying at home wouldn't retard their chance to become successful in the NFL. Further the Hayo-watch all summer would have been less anxious, if even necessary, with depth in high-quality locally grown talent on tap.

I hope that Brewster catches some breaks soon. I do see his passion. I think that landing a player like Henderson or Floyd and having him have a great 3 or 4 years at the U definitely makes our 'grass a little greener' if not as 'green' as the next guy's. Some effects to that end might be immediate with other recruits. If the renewed interest around the program/stadium can lead into a Jan 1 bowl in the next couple of seasons, things could start to really click on the home front, and there is still plenty of much needed talent leaking through the 'locked borders'.

winning the lottery helps me immensly, if I lose...I'm out a buck.

Don't forget Gjere

I'm a little disappointed there isn't more excitement about Gjere verbally committing to the U. If SH were not in the mix, we would be doing cartwheels about the potential of the big man from Irondale. He's a top rated player also, my friends.:clap:

Right. Outstanding players stand out wherever they go, but especially on teams with lesser talent, as they look just that much more like men among boys in those cases. If Seantrel can stand out at USC, just imagine how huge he'd look at Minnesota.

I'm a little disappointed there isn't more excitement about Gjere verbally committing to the U. If SH were not in the mix, we would be doing cartwheels about the potential of the big man from Irondale. He's a top rated player also, my friends.:clap:

Getting Gjere here is outstanding, as is getting our other recruits. Can't wait to see this guy play. Still, you always yearn for what you don't have, which is why the talk remains of Seantrel (until he makes his decision).

I got to have breakfast with Brewster this morning. We had tremendous toast along with some scrambled eggs that were just outstanding, and a side of bacon that he described as "darn good impressive."

Ulfr

I disagree with part of your post

I often wonder how dynamic the team might have been had Decker been joined by any or all of the three receivers Brewster failed to lock within Borders. Gilreath, Floyd and McNeal each were considered top of their position in state, and quite probably would have added great potential to our WR corps for years.

Brew was hired too late in the game to get Gilreath to switch back too MN. While he had a shot w Floyd & McNeal, it was obvious they wanted to go "away" from home. This maybe (I hope not) the case w Henderson.

Top Bottom