April Madness?

Not a fan of this at all. Here is the outline of how it would look, per the San Jose Mercury News, referenced in Ope's link:

For those unfamiliar, here’s how it would work:

Start the season in mid-December, after first semester exams and during the lull between college football regular season and the bowl season. The weekend of the Heisman Trophy ceremony is the ideal time for a grand opening weekend that would generate momentum through the holidays.

But the season cannot be condensed because of student-athlete welfare issues, so starting one month later means ending one month later.

Conference play would commence after the Super Bowl, allowing more than 50 percent of the season to take place out of football’s long shadow.

The NCAA Tournament would move to late April or early May, which is the most radical aspect of the idea.

To repeat what I’ve written in the past: The Masters is not an insurmountable obstacle by any stretch. In the NCAA’s current TV deal with CBS and Turner, Turner pays a greater percentage of the bill, shows more games and has more influence on matters like … the calendar.

The challenges, instead, would be the availability of advertising dollars in the second quarter (starting April 1) – there’s more competition than in March because of MLB — and the availability of facilities.

Go Gophers!!

No thank you.

Tournament basketball belongs in March.

End of story.

No thank you.

Tournament basketball belongs in March.

End of story.

And lousy non-conference games needs to end by Christmas. Imagine going to see Coastal Carolina on a -25 January day (yes it could happen in December but much less likely).

What a terrible idea. It would be hard to come up with a more terrible idea if someone came up to you and said, "Hey, give me a terrible idea."

A winter sport ending just weeks before classes end in the spring? Give me a break.

Don't like it at all either. Obviously no one bothered asking fans.

Maybe the concept of playing fewer games would sink in.

Top Bottom