Greenway

B

bsb76

Heard chad greenway on kfan this morning with PA. He said he was in iowa city working out with the fb team. He then proceeded to trash talk about how good iowa is and how bad the Gophers are and how iowa will destroy the Gophers this year. PA reminded him that he played in Minnesota and probably wasn't making too many friends with his talk. Greenway said he didn't care. In the background I thought I heard a prison guard yelling at him and the other fb players!

Too bad I used to like him despite his lousy pass coverage!

Par for the course. He is on there a lot and always runs down the Gophers. PA gets a kick out of it and encourages it. The worst part is he will likely get a job on air somewhere in this market when he is done playing.

I have seen him at a couple basketball games at Williams cheering loudly for the Hawkeyes.

Heard chad greenway on kfan this morning with PA. He said he was in iowa city working out with the fb team. He then proceeded to trash talk about how good iowa is and how bad the Gophers are and how iowa will destroy the Gophers this year. PA reminded him that he played in Minnesota and probably wasn't making too many friends with his talk. Greenway said he didn't care. In the background I thought I heard a prison guard yelling at him and the other fb players!

Too bad I used to like him despite his lousy pass coverage!
He's probably right.

He's also rounded into one of the best young linebackers in the league. I'm not going to start hating him because he's still loyal to his school. Big deal.

Agree. It's definitely par for the course. He fits right in with the Vikings and their overall history of talking a better game than they play. Nothing more, nothing less.

Agree. It's definitely par for the course. He fits right in with the Vikings and their overall history of talking a better game than they play. Nothing more, nothing less.
115 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 5 pass deflections in 2008?

He must talk a hell of a game then.

He is definately a good player. I am not a Viking fan or an NFL fan so it doesn't matter to me.

After you lose 55-0 you will get shit on for a long time by just about everybody.

115 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 5 pass deflections in 2008?

He must talk a hell of a game then.

He does, in case you haven't been listening...;) But seriously, I couldn't care less about Greenway or the Vikings (or the NFL for that matter).

Interesting that you agree with his position of the Gophers sucking however.

If I were in his position, I'd do the same thing.

I actually welcome it...He's passionate about his school, just as I would hope our players and fans would be. I'd be more concerned about it if he didn't do a little trash talking.

If nothing, appreciate the fact that it matters to them, rather than some of the fan apathy that can take over for some of our fans.

I actually welcome it...He's passionate about his school, just as I would hope our players and fans would be. I'd be more concerned about it if he didn't do a little trash talking.

If nothing, appreciate the fact that it matters to them, rather than some of the fan apathy that can take over for some of our fans.

Agree to some extent. Although my approach would be rather that "I love my hawkeyes" rather than degrading the Gophers. That just would not be my style when it comes to discussing alma maters. Having said that, if it was just funning around, which it could definitely could have been when it comes to being interviewed on PA's show, then no harm done.

Personally, I don't really care for trash-talk overall. That's just how I roll.

Agree, alltimetwinsfan

You know how the Gophers can shut him up, right? Hint. It doesn't involve talking.

Vikings suck, Vikings Rubes are pathetic jersey wearing d-bags, and I feel pretty good that I've never donated a dime to the worthless Vikings and their players. I get the biggest kick out the Rube Vikings fans whos lives are actually effected on an emotional level by those spoiled pro athletes, just pumping on that cash into their pocket and don't even know that they really don't give a shit about them. Fuc& Greenway.

Nice work, Chad. Anything he can do to create more ill-will towards the Vikings (and reducing their already miniscule chances at a stadium) is fine by me.

"Funning around"

With words like that from UI graduates it is no wonder their academic ranking is falling so fast.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trying to be diplomatic is tough, I certainly wouldn't care if Winfield came on and talked crap about tOSU-Minnesota. The fact that it's Iowa and they have a vastly inflated view of their standing in the college football world makes it difficult to take, glad I didn't listen. I don't begrudge Greenway being supportive of his school and talking down a rival.

My question is why was somebody bothering to listen to KFAN? Any station that spends more time talking about the Timberwolves than Gopher basketball is a piece of crap in my mind.

This is probably the stupidest thread I've ever read on this board, and that's saying a lot considering some of the doozies that have been on here.

Vikings suck, Vikings Rubes are pathetic jersey wearing d-bags, and I feel pretty good that I've never donated a dime to the worthless Vikings and their players. I get the biggest kick out the Rube Vikings fans whos lives are actually effected on an emotional level by those spoiled pro athletes, just pumping on that cash into their pocket and don't even know that they really don't give a shit about them. Fuc& Greenway.

Here we go again. Why do you correlate wearing a jersey with being a d-bag? I certainly don't know any people who have "donated" any money to the Vikings, and why would they? How are those pro athletes "spoiled'? Because they make a lot of money? Sure, they're overpaid, but so are athletes in many other pro leagues. There are tons of people across all fields of business who are vastly overpaid, and most of them certainly don't work as hard at their craft as Vikings players do. Is it safe to assume you don't follow any pro sports at all? If you do, you're a hypocrite.

I find it humorous that a prerequisite for following a team is that the players care about you. By extension, you clearly assume that Gophers players care about you. That's a laugh. They don't give a shit about you. Not that there's anything wrong with that - it's not their job to care about you. Their job is to play hard, earn their scholarships, and represent their school with class and dignity.

You can hate the Vikings, that's your right. But don't come on here spouting pointless, illogical, hypocritical rationale for doing so.

My question is why was somebody bothering to listen to KFAN? Any station that spends more time talking about the Timberwolves than Gopher basketball is a piece of crap in my mind.

Why wouldn't they? Even though they've sucked since KG left, there is still a far bigger following in the metro (and statewide) for the T-wolves than there is for the Gophers. And at least they've won something in the last 40 years.

This us-vs.-them mentality that so many people on this board have is sickening. Seriously, people, it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Actually caring about other Twin Cities sports teams besides the Gophers is not hurting anything.

Seriously....it seems like according to several of the "experts" you can't be both a Vikings and Gopher fan. I grew up in Minnesota...I love both. What the hell is wrong with that? So Greenway ran his mouth....good for him. Its actually more sad to see so many people actually caring what he is saying...

The point was made up above...there's one way to shut him up, and it isn't whine and bitch about it.

Why wouldn't they? Even though they've sucked since KG left, there is still a far bigger following in the metro (and statewide) for the T-wolves than there is for the Gophers. And at least they've won something in the last 40 years.

You've told us before how smart you are, but this really stretches the bounds of any semblance of intelligence. Pray tell, by what criteria do you use to measure "a far bigger following" that the T-Wolves (who struggled to sell $5 tickets this season) against the Gophers who have a long, storied following that existed well before the Wolves debuted in the late '80s. I'm also wondering what exactly the T-Wolves have won in the last 40 years. . .does runner up to the Western Conference champs a few years ago count?

For a guy who likes to present himself as the smartest guy in the room, it appears you'd have to be in a room by yourself to claim that crown with these ridiculous statements.

Maybe some day one of our Gophers will play professionaly in Iowa and can trash their teams in the local media down there.....err wait. I guess our best chance of that happening would be if Eric Decker played for the Iowa Cubs and was interviewed on KHICK 99.5 between the soybean and pork belly reports.

You've told us before how smart you are, but this really stretches the bounds of any semblance of intelligence. Pray tell, by what criteria do you use to measure "a far bigger following" that the T-Wolves (who struggled to sell $5 tickets this season) against the Gophers who have a long, storied following that existed well before the Wolves debuted in the late '80s. I'm also wondering what exactly the T-Wolves have won in the last 40 years. . .does runner up to the Western Conference champs a few years ago count?

For a guy who likes to present himself as the smartest guy in the room, it appears you'd have to be in a room by yourself to claim that crown with these ridiculous statements.

I'm not talking about the Gophers of 40, 30, or even 20 years ago. I'm talking about the Gophers of right now. It's not something that's easy to measure empirically, but I'm quite confident that a "man on the street" poll among sports fans in Minnesota would yield these results. And as for winning, 2004 Midwest Division champions.

The fact is that nearly all of the people who care about the Gophers are alumni or friends and family of the players. You will find very few outside of these demographics who actually care about Gopher football. The majority of them probably frequent this board. The sooner people on this board come to grips with that, the better off we'll all be. The only thing that will change this is winning, winning often, and winning big.

I'm as big a Gopher fan as anybody. But I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that Gopher football is a big deal nationwide, statewide, or even in the Twin Cities. It's not. If it were, we wouldn't play most games at 11 am, and struggle to get non-conference games on channels more than a handful of people can watch (or in some cases, on TV at all).

And I'm also not going to cultivate this idiotic notion that you must be loyal to the Gophers to the exclusion of all else. I'm just as big of a Vikings and Twins follower as Gopher backer. And while I don't really care all that much about the T-wolves or Wild, I'm not going to begrudge people following them just so a few simpletons can sate their Napoleon complexes.

I see there are a lot more women on GH than there used to be

1) Why do you correlate wearing a jersey with being a d-bag?

2) I certainly don't know any people who have "donated" any money to the Vikings, and why would they?

3) How are those pro athletes "spoiled'?

4) I find it humorous that a prerequisite for following a team is that the players care about you. By extension, you clearly assume that Gophers players care about you. That's a laugh.

5) You can hate the Vikings, that's your right. But don't come on here spouting pointless, illogical, hypocritical rationale for doing so.

1) Because your in your 30's or 40's, leave it to the kids.

2) Have you spent money on a Vikings game or one of your 5 jerseys? "Thanks for the donation" Love, Ziggy.

3) Did you really just say that? OK, let me try to answer this......... because people like you would politely set their man piece in their mouth if asked. Then you would go to the next Vikings Fest with your jersey on to tell them how honored you were.

4) Let me translate since you obviously cannot read between the lines (and that I never remotely inferred that players need to care about the fans)......... the funny thing about Viking Rubes is that THEY think the players really care about them. Not sure where you get that I said anything about a prerequisite for following a team. Good try though guy :clap:

5) If anyone hated the Vikings would you say their reason was anything but "pointless, illogical, hypocritical rationale"? Probably not. Just read this numerous times with your Vikings jerseys on, then look in the mirror and see if you can come to a mutual understanding with yourself.

1) Because your in your 30's or 40's, leave it to the kids.

So guys/girls who wear Gophers jerseys are d-bags? "Your" 0-for-1.

2) Have you spent money on a Vikings game or one of your 5 jerseys? "Thanks for the donation" Love, Ziggy.

Actually, as I've said before, I own one jersey (a Moss #84), and I bought it long before Zygi owned the team. And, by definition, buying a ticket or a jersey is not a donation, as you are receiving a good in return for your expenditure. Look up the definition of "donation" in your "I Can Read" dictionary. "Your" 0-for-2.

3) Did you really just say that? OK, let me try to answer this......... because people like you would politely set their man piece in their mouth if asked. Then you would go to the next Vikings Fest with your jersey on to tell them how honored you were.

Actually, no, I am not homosexual, so I would not enjoy having male genitalia anywhere near my mouth or any other orifice. I have never been to "Vikings Fest" (whatever that is), and I would never be "honored" to meet a Viking. They're just men, like me and (allegedly) you. And further, how does the adoration of fans equate with being spoiled? "Your" 0-for-3.

4) Let me translate since you obviously cannot read between the lines (and that I never remotely inferred that players need to care about the fans)......... the funny thing about Viking Rubes is that THEY think the players really care about them. Not sure where you get that I said anything about a prerequisite for following a team. Good try though guy :clap:

I've known literally hundreds of Vikings fans in my life, and I've yet to meet even one who thinks that the players care about them, or are even concerned whether they do. Nice try, "little buddy".

As for the second part, I believe your quote was, "I get the biggest kick out the Rube Vikings fans whos lives are actually effected on an emotional level by those spoiled pro athletes." You are equating being a Vikings fan with thinking that the Vikings players care about them. Ergo, you equate being a Gophers fan with thinking that the Gophers players care about them. "Your" 0-for-4.

5) If anyone hated the Vikings would you say their reason was anything but "pointless, illogical, hypocritical rationale"? Probably not. Just read this numerous times with your Vikings jerseys on, then look in the mirror and see if you can come to a mutual understanding with yourself.

As I said, feel free to hate the Vikings. More power to you. But your reasoning is flawed and contradictory with your stance as a Gophers fan. The (erroneous) traits you ascribe to Vikings fans can be applied to fans of any team, anywhere, ever, so to throw out generic fan behavior and use it as your rationale for hating the Vikings is irrational, illogical, and nonsensical. "Your" 0-for-5.

I almost feel bad tossing your weak garbage out of here. It's not even a fair fight. I could win an argument with you with my basal ganglia tied behind my back.

I think it is silly that somehow this devolves in to a Gophers vs Vikings discussion. I would be willing to bet the vast majority of college football fans root passionately for a pro football team on Sunday. Sharing a city with the Miami Dolphins did not hurt the Miami Hurricanes on the field. I am sure there were a lot of people in the 80's who supported Testaverde on Saturday and Marino on Sunday.

DpoDoll- The Gophers would be playing at 11 am frequently regardless of their following and would still be on the Big Ten Network often. One Big Ten game a week goes on at 2:30 on ABC and most of the rest start at 11 am on ESPN, ESPN2, or the Big Ten Network. I think 11 am is a horrible start time, but getting the television coverage is probably worth it to the universities. Try finding the Big 12 or the Pac 10 on TV...they either end up on Versus or one of the FoxSports regional channels.

DpoDoll- The Gophers would be playing at 11 am frequently regardless of their following and would still be on the Big Ten Network often. One Big Ten game a week goes on at 2:30 on ABC and most of the rest start at 11 am on ESPN, ESPN2, or the Big Ten Network.

You invalidated your own point in the very next sentence. If the Gophers started winning big and gaining a huge following, a la OSU, PSU, Mich, we would be on ABC and ESPN a lot more frequently. And we would also not be playing practically every game at 11. (Actually, the Big Ten frequently has a 7 pm game on ABC as well.)

Number of times each time played at 11 last year:
OSU: 7 (played on ABC 6 times, ESPN 2)
PSU: 4 (ABC 6, ESPN 3)
Michigan: 6 (ABC 5, ESPN 2)
Minnesota: 8 (ABC 1, ESPN 2)

I never said we would have to stop playing at 11 - every Big Ten team has to do it. It's just that the teams with a following don't have to do it as often, and are quite frequently on a station that all/most people have. Not once did any of those teams have to play on ESPNU or ESPN Classic. Hell, I had to upgrade my programming package just so I could watch the Bowling Green game. When do you suppose any of the aforementioned teams have had to do that?

This is just further evidence that the Gophers are NOT a big deal to anyone outside the fan base. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that - it's just a fact.

Top Bottom