Idea for 1st 2015-16 Road to Selection Sunday column

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
More of an informational post. ... thoughts?

Going to try something a little different this year for the first Road to Selection Sunday column, which I hope to have completed no later than Oct. 25. Instead of the standard preseason look at the national scene, top 25, B1G, Gophers, etc., going to focus specifically on the Gophers in a comparison to one team from each of the Power 6 conferences. ... ACC, Big East, B1G, Big XII, Pac 12, and SEC.

I think most of us agree the NCAA Tournament is not a realistic expectation for the 2015-16 Gophers, though I'm not one to "never say never." That's why we look forward to each season, and that's why we play the games. That said, this is the first Gopher season probably since Tubby's first (2007-08) that I have no realistic expectations of a NCAA berth come Selection Sunday. To that end, we're going to look at 6 other teams (focusing largely on their schedules) who pretty much are in the same boat as the Gophers, and we're going to follow them (along with the Gophers) from start to finish, bad season, good season, or somewhere in between. Perhaps even 1 or 2 of 'em will surprise everyone and earn a NCAA berth?

May change my mind between now and the time I write the column, but for now I have identified the 6 teams as Georgia Tech (ACC), Creighton (Big East), Nebraska (B1G), Kansas State (Big XII), Washington (Pac 12), and Alabama (SEC). Let me know if you think I should replace one of those with another Power 6 team and I'll mull it over.

It might be interesting to compare us to St. johns as we have lost potential recruits to them recently(Ponds, Ellison). I know that Chrieghton is often in a few recruiting battles with us as well I believe Illikainen and a few others(?) so that might not be a big difference.

SS, I think you have an interesting idea.

You always do a good job in things like this.

I will look forward to your reports.

Dr.Don.

Top Bottom