What should our first offensive play be at TCF?

CWCWCW

Reaction score
It's getting closer and closer. So, what shall the first offensive play be? If we get past our own 30 yard line, I'm all for airing it out to Eric Decker flying down the sideline and scampering in the endzone. That would be a good way to start a new era.

How about the same as our first play in memorial? A halfback sweep I'm guessing.

Let's see a repeat of the first play of the 2002 season vs. SW Texas State: double reverse to a wide open Ben Utecht for 75 yards and the touchdown.

I'd say let Weber drop back and let it fly to Decker. Go for the home run right off the bat.

the Hayo shuffle

As long as it's not the Truffle Shuffle, I think we'll all be alright with the play...

The20Goonies20-20Chunk20Truffle20Sh.gif

I don't think it will be very pedestrian...

Brew's got too big of an ego (I mean that with love, boys) to try anything but a memorable play. I suggest a hand-off to Bennett, who reverses to Stoudermire, a flip back to Weber, who throws 77 yards (catch and run) to a wide open Decker.:clap:

First Play in New Stadium Should Be....

The first play run by the 2009 Gophers in a game at TCF should be the same very first play used to open Memorial Stadium on October 4, 1924 against North Dakota. We won the game 14-0 with William Spaulding in his last year as head coach. Later that year, the stadium was officially dedicated at a game that might be the biggest upset in Gopher football history....the 20-7 thumping of a great Illinois team led by Red Grange on November 15, 1924. Run the same first play from either of these games as a link to the great Gopher football history and a new on-campus stadium.

Wouldn't it be cool to see the Gophers line up in a formation that has not been seen for decades in college football....and then run it as a "tip of the hat" to Gopher on-campus football. The press, ESPN reporters, and other broadcasters would all be talking Gopher football. A discussion about Gopher football tradition would ensue. Murray Warmath would be there as a link to Memorial stadium as well. What a story it would be.

Let's see a repeat of the first play of the 2002 season vs. SW Texas State: double reverse to a wide open Ben Utecht for 75 yards and the touchdown.

I'm fairly certain Ben Utecht exhausted his college eligibility quite some time ago.

The first play run by the 2009 Gophers in a game at TCF should be the same very first play used to open Memorial Stadium on October 4, 1924 against North Dakota. We won the game 14-0 with William Spaulding in his last year as head coach. Later that year, the stadium was officially dedicated at a game that might be the biggest upset in Gopher football history....the 20-7 thumping of a great Illinois team led by Red Grange on November 15, 1924. Run the same first play from either of these games as a link to the great Gopher football history and a new on-campus stadium.

Wouldn't it be cool to see the Gophers line up in a formation that has not been seen for decades in college football....and then run it as a "tip of the hat" to Gopher on-campus football. The press, ESPN reporters, and other broadcasters would all be talking Gopher football. A discussion about Gopher football tradition would ensue. Murray Warmath would be there as a link to Memorial stadium as well. What a story it would be.

Found this,

"The opening kickoff went to the Gophers, and they went no place fast. After three downs, Minnesota had gained seven yards and punted to Grange. Illinois proceeded to march down the field and, eight plays later, the Galloping Ghost was sprinting into the end zone from the 11-yard line. It was 7–0 Illini before latecomers had even warmed their seats."

Maybe the first play should be a Bernie Bierman single wing play? Snap it to Stoudamire.

Terence Mann, is that you??

fieldofdreamsmann.JPG

That's a great idea. I wouldn't doubt at all something like that would happen.

First offensive play at new stadium: I vote for a 97-yard field goal. -Joe

I think we should hype up the big play so that Air Force is spending all of their time thinking about the first play - and run it up the middle for a first down while Air Force is defending against the big play.

It depends.

If we pound the rock against Syracuse...play action.

We Are All Laughing at You, GopherFan75

It is hilarious to see how many people here know absolutely nothing about football.

Speak of someone knowing nothing, we are all laughing because you think YOU actually know something. Now that IS hilarious.

Punt

It would be in line with the administration at the U and the timid approach the are taking with the everything surrounding this stadium.

A 5 yrd delay penalty or a Dunbar -3 spread rushing

play from the shotgun followed by a time out. If that fails we can throw a 1 yard pass to someone.

Then we can have a moment of silence to acknowledge the firing of Dunbar and address the emotional needs of the many defenders of the Dunbar spread on this board that will then have to admit they were all on the wrong side of this.

So, where all of the Dunbar defenders now? WE ARE A SPREAD TEAM, blah blah blah.

You Dunbar defenders were like like Iranian government propaganists with your attacks on all who dissented. It was really quite amusing and sad at the same time.

play from the shotgun followed by a time out. If that fails we can throw a 1 yard pass to someone.

Then we can have a moment of silence to acknowledge the firing of Dunbar and address the emotional needs of the many defenders of the Dunbar spread on this board that will then have to admit they were all on the wrong side of this.

So, where all of the Dunbar defenders now? WE ARE A SPREAD TEAM, blah blah blah.

You Dunbar defenders were like like Iranian government propaganists with your attacks on all who dissented. It was really quite amusing and sad at the same time.

Here's an example of amusing and sad. A little light on the amusing though.

That is a lot of frustration tied up to one post.

I think

we should have a search committee come up with the play and recommend it to Brewster. It wil probably be the fade pass----and then maybe we can erase it from the playbook.

Top Bottom