Power 6 NC schedules that most resemble Gophers

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
To follow are 1 team from each of the Power 6 conferences whose non-conference schedule ranks (based on opponents' average RPI) most resemble the Gophers. Keep in mind, I don't include "potential opponents" in the average RPI. For example, the Gophers could play Butler, Utah, etc., in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, but they don't count. Listed are the key games for each team, and for good measure have noted each's potential Power 6/notable opponents.

ACC = NC State (NC schedule rank #113 of 351)
vs. Arizona State
MICHIGAN
@ Missouri
Potential Opponent -- vs. LSU/Marquette

Big East = DePaul (NC schedule rank #109)
@ Penn State
vs. South Carolina
@ Stanford
NORTHWESTERN
Potential Opponents -- vs. Florida State, vs. Tulsa

B1G = Purdue (NC schedule rank of #108)
vs. Old Dominion
@ Pitt
vs. Butler
VANDERBILT
Potential Opponent -- vs. Florida

Big XII = Baylor (NC schedule rank #91)
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
@ Oregon
VANDERBILT
@ Texas A&M
NEW MEXICO STATE

Pac 12 = Oregon State (NC schedule rank #116)
IONA
VALPARAISO
vs. Kansas
vs. Tulsa

SEC = Tennessee (NC schedule rank #125)
@ Georgia Tech
vs. George Washington
@ Butler
vs. Gonzaga
Potential Opponent -- vs. Cincinnati/Nebraska

. ... and the Gophers (NC schedule rank #107)
vs. Temple
CLEMSON
vs. Oklahoma State
Potential Opponents -- vs. Butler, vs. Miami/Texas Tech/Utah

My initial Field of 68 projection had three of these teams making the NCAA Tournament field, NC State, Purdue, and Baylor, with Oregon State as one of the "first 4 out". ... for whatever that's worth.

So again the schedule is about right for the current status of the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So again the schedule is about right for the current status of the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely, though I'd have 1 additional decent opponent in there somewhere. Especially for this particular team (young), would prefer a true road game before the conference season starts. We don't have any of those. But yes, it becomes a pretty solid schedule if the Gophers beat Temple in Puerto Rico.

Absolutely, though I'd have 1 additional decent opponent in there somewhere. For this particular team (young), would prefer a true road game before the conference season starts. We don't have any of those. But yes, it becomes a pretty solid schedule if the Gophers beat Temple in Puerto Rico.
Agreed T. Denny be dammed, we should've just gone to Stillwater this year and had them return the favor next season. I've never been open to this before but if getting a decent team to come here means moving the game to Xcel, Target Center or in a couple years The TajMahZygi, I am okay with that, better then nothing

Top Bottom