Eddy Hightower potential head of Big 10 officials?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I don't know what to make of this. On the one hand if Eddy gets the job, it means we won't have to watch his hot-dogging & melodramatic calls during the Big 10 season. On the other hand, not so sure I want him leading Big 10 officiating. My vote would go to Ted Hillary, who I think is an excellent, no frills (some would say grumpy), old school official.

http://www.sportingnews.com/college...dates-named-for-big-ten-officials-coordinator

LOL, I did not know Hightower's day job was superindentent of a school district!! I can just see him walking around a middle school lunch room spying the beginnings of a food fight. I picture him blowing his whistle three times while sprinting towards the table where the 12 year old culprits are sitting with both his arms waving maniacally. Then, now with the whole lunch rooms attention, he does the classic two handed point at the kid who he determined started the whole episode while shouting "YOU! BILLY! MY OFFICE! NOW!" all while Jimmy smirks because he was really the one that started throwing the food.

And I'm sure if one of his students comments on his "Hair Club for Men" look, that's a double technical & automatic ejection (expulsion).

You all think Eddy Hightower actually does his job (which wouldn't involve monitoring a lunch room by the way, but would involve egotistical demonstrations of "power"), HA!

Whether this position goes to Hightower or Hillary or Hartsell, I hope it leads to improvement in the overall officiating in the league. Poor and inconsistent officiating is one of the big problems in the Big Ten. I think refereeing college hoops may be the toughest job in all of sports, but the Big Ten is seriously lagging behind in getting new, young blood, top notch officials involved. I'm so sick of watching Sid Rodeheffer, Ted Hillary, Donnee Gray, and other old timers barely making it up and down the floor. It is embarassing. I remember hearing Flip Saunders tell Paul Allen one morning that while sitting out for a year, he was able to watch a lot of Gopher basketball and the most surprising thing to him was how bad the Big Ten officiating was. He called it terrible and embarassing. I think Flip joked that he would have been kicked out of every game had he been coaching.

But how will Hightower make everyone aware of him if he's not reffing the game? I swear Hightower is the only official I'm always aware of within 5 minutes of the start of a game. Every call is a show with him

I don't usually complain about officials, but Hightower is the worst official in any sport at any level that I have ever seen.

Top Bottom