Beer for Tailgaters - Sorry if Posted

ProGopher

Reaction score
The University of Minnesota has opted for a no-alcohol policy for Gophers football games inside TCF Bank this season. But for those of appropriate age who want to enjoy a beer at the games this season, athletic director Joel Maturi said today, there will be tailgating right outside TCF Bank Stadium, as well as other nearby venues, including the University's McNamara Alumni Center.

"It's only in the stadium that the policy exists," Maturi said.

It's also possible beer might be available, albeit at private parties, at the Mariucci and Williams arenas across the street.

The University of Minnesota has opted for a no-alcohol policy for Gophers football games inside TCF Bank this season. But for those of appropriate age who want to enjoy a beer at the games this season, athletic director Joel Maturi said today, there will be tailgating right outside TCF Bank Stadium, as well as other nearby venues, including the University's McNamara Alumni Center.

It's also possible beer might be available, albeit at private parties, at the Mariucci and Williams arenas across the street.

I think this was assumed by most but its always nice to see some reaffirmation from the AD.

I assumed this too but.......

The statment about Mariucci and Williams being able to host " Private Parties" that can distrubute beer is what caught my attention.

I thought that when they said no beer it was a blanketing statement for all venues. Now, it seems that Williams and Maricucci can have liquor, it just has to be a private event..

Right now I am thinking that there will be some "Group Private Parties" that will have more than enough beer for it's attendees.

The statement made it seem like there was a slight push for people to group up and start the parties at McNamara, Williams Arena or Mariucci. That's a lot of space to get some beer prior to a game, IMO..

The statment about Mariucci and Williams being able to host " Private Parties" that can distrubute beer is what caught my attention.

I thought that when they said no beer it was a blanketing statement for all venues. Now, it seems that Williams and Maricucci can have liquor, it just has to be a private event..

Right now I am thinking that there will be some "Group Private Parties" that will have more than enough beer for it's attendees.

The statement made it seem like there was a slight push for people to group up and start the parties at McNamara, Williams Arena or Mariucci. That's a lot of space to get some beer prior to a game, IMO..

All 3 venues are dry, but only during games. This was in one of the articles about going dry. So the DQ Club Room at TCF can also host private parties with booze, just not on gameday (and Williams/Mariucci can't host private parties during BB/Hockey games).

Does anyone know what will be going on at the McNamara Plaza yet come gameday? I don't remember if this question has been answered yet or not, but I could definitely see a lot happening there.

Does anyone know what will be going on at the McNamara Plaza yet come gameday? I don't remember if this question has been answered yet or not, but I could definitely see a lot happening there.

An older U planning proposal has it marked off for U sponsored gameday events. This also jives with what I and others have heard from the dept. However, as far as I know nothing official has been announced.

An older U planning proposal has it marked off for U sponsored gameday events. This also jives with what I and others have heard from the dept. However, as far as I know nothing official has been announced.

Good to know! Thanks!

Top Bottom